Ranked Blunders

Jayy

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-2045-0142-7156
So I’m A+ In zones and A in towers, and recently a whole bunch of my matches have been lost after we were ahead for like the whole match, or at least ahead by a huge distance in towers or by a huge hold time in zones. It’s like the team gives up and the other team makes an enormous comeback and I’m sitting there to the loser screen trying not to chuck my controller.

I’m not talking neck and neck battles either. Like we were ahead in zones with 3 count and the other team held and won from their like 60+ or something and beat us by 1. Then in tower same thing. They rode like the whole distance after we just had to run the clock at a distance of like 8 left.

I expect this type of last minute loss/shutdown in TW but this is far beyond that in terms of frustration. This type of thing happen to you guys often too?

Jayy

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-2045-0142-7156
Just realized after losing ANOTHER one 5 minutes ago the same way, that it’s happening in over time. Wtf is this bull*** where overtime is allowing the other team to come back and win from losing the whole match? How long is overtime? How is this fair?

techton

Senior Squid
It happens every-so-often. Some teams just choke at the wrong time. The thing I see the most when teams choke is lack of teamwork and strategy, so things like teammates rushing to the tower/spatzone independently trying to stop the other team that's close to winning in overtime.

EDIT: Overtime triggers when the losing team is still in control of the goal (like the tower and splatzone) after the match time ends and lasts until they lose control of it, so when the losing team is gaining air in overtime, you absolutely need to take back control before they win.

Last edited:

Jayy

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-2045-0142-7156
So... technically, we could be one point away from victory while the other team has yet to claim any ground with towers or any hold time in zones, and win thr entire game due to overtime if they suddenly held the objective without losing it during that time?

Seems like pushing the concept of “overtime” a bit too far. I’m all for allowing a team to clinch a victory.

But if it took 2 minutes and 58 seconds for the losing team to finally claim the objective and in that 59th second they happen to take objective and ride it to the end, I don’t see how that is fair to the other team who held it for the entierity of the game.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
What, TC on overtime? Just use stingray!

No really, but the thing is the overtime rules prevent people from throwing. Let's say overtime doesn't exist, or is changed to stop it automatically if X time passed. If the enemy pushes the tower to 80-90 and they have the lead the only meaningful option for the losing team is to squid party at spawn because you cannot get a lead before the game will end.

This is an existing problem with Turf War, whereas if you get wiped during the last 30 seconds you are completely screwed with no chance of a comeback.

Last edited:
Reactions: the

techton

Senior Squid
So... technically, we could be one point away from victory while the other team has yet to claim any ground with towers or any hold time in zones, and win thr entire game due to overtime if they suddenly held the objective without losing it during that time?
Precisely.

But if it took 2 minutes and 58 seconds for the losing team to finally claim the objective and in that 59th second they happen to take objective and ride it to the end, I don’t see how that is fair to the other team who held it for the entierity of the game.
Comebacks just exist, man. If you find yourself in a situation like this again, wait for your team to respawn and regroup before you try and take back control.

Jayy

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-2045-0142-7156
It’s such a brutal and tilting way to lose....

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
It’s such a brutal and tilting way to lose....
That's why you gotta learn the forgotten art...

Defense!

Seriously, am I the only defensive player in all of solo queue? I can't tell you haw many overtime Rainmaker pushes I've completely stopped with my CJS at this point.

Jayy

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-2045-0142-7156
Well sure I play defense when I need to. Doesn’t mean my team will coordinate to do the same. They’ll dive in one at a time as soon as they spawn as if the entire other team isn’t riding/holding the objective.

I can’t even count how many times I’ve waited to regroup only to have the first squid spawned bolt past me, then the second.. it’s not like “This Way” means anything to most solo
Q’rs.

Even in overwatch, where theres a designated “Group up” call does not stop people with tunnel vision from not playing as a team.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
Well sure I play defense when I need to. Doesn’t mean my team will coordinate to do the same. They’ll dive in one at a time as soon as they spawn as if the entire other team isn’t riding/holding the objective.

I can’t even count how many times I’ve waited to regroup only to have the first squid spawned bolt past me, then the second.. it’s not like “This Way” means anything to most solo
Q’rs.

Even in overwatch, where theres a designated “Group up” call does not stop people with tunnel vision from not playing as a team.
What weapons do you play?

Jayy

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-2045-0142-7156
Dualie Squelchers. I’ve bopped around and experimented with many different weapons but they fit my playstyle most and are the most fun to me

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
I think you're missing a key point about splatoon and a lot of competitive objective based games.

And that it's the team with the best push that wins, not the team that possesses control the longest. For example, you could get the rainmaker to 20 points, keep control for 3 minutes, and still lose. Why? Because without a knockout, your team has to defend and try not to lose. It's not just "Hey we got a good enough lead, let's squid party", trying not to lose is serious business.

Luckily, for you, trying not to lose is way easier than trying to win and make a comeback. Just because the enemy team needs to move the objective further than your team initially did, and they have to regain control after you pushed. So there's something good there. So what to do after that? How do you make sure you keep that condition going, because the enemies are trying everything to stop you.

Well it's exactly that. The enemies are going for risky plays, so be sure to punish them once they go out of position or try to make them run away with your sub or something. Even if you trade, the game is still in your favor because you don't have to do anything extra to win, you just need to make sure your lead is in check. But assuming that you are keeping control until overtime (which is what I got out of this post anyway) you're doing this right.

So for stopping pushes in overtime, some key things to have on you.

Map control is #1. This dictates if the enemy team even get to move forward most of the time, so it's rather beneficial if you ink the ground to prevent this. (Plus you get more specials by inking more ground, so that's cool)

Your special is #2. Specials can start pushes, but they can also end them pretty quickly. Every special in the game can start a push and end a push (obviously some are better than others at this), but specials can be used to stop or start momentum for your team.
The best defensive tower control special is the Stingray (by a longshot). When used from spawn, there's literally nothing the other team can do to counter the stingray, they either get off the tower, or die and get off the tower.

However, like you said, you don't main a stingray weapon. You play the dualie squelchers with tenta missles. Which aren't the best for clearing the tower, but we'll work with it.

The tentamissles (as you probably know) lock onto multiple targets, and then send an air strike of missiles raining down upon the enemies. The missiles lock on to wherever the enemy previously inhabited. This is pretty good for clearing the tower for 2 reasons. 1 It forces the opponents to move (somewhat like stingray) or die, and 2 it gets stronger whenever the opponents are huddled together (which happens a lot in overtime). Allowing you and your team some time to tap the tower, while the enemy runs away. Even if only 1 person is on the tower, and you lock onto them, guess what. It's only 1 person left on the tower, get rid of them and touch the tower real quick to secure a win.

This applies to other modes as well: bomb rush / bubble blower in splat zones, stingray / inkstorm in rainmaker, and bubble blower for clam blitz. These are just the specials that can reclaim the objective and control of the map quickly to help you stop a last second push.

Last tip I have to avoid losing in overtime is to maintain your numbers against the enemy team. As the enemy can only start a push in overtime if they have a numbers advantage against your team. Having a 4v4 matchup isn't enough to let the enemy roam free on the objective. Even 3v4, it's hard for the enemy to comeback from in the middle of overtime. The only time I would start worrying about losing in overtime is when only 2 or less people are alive on your team. Because that's literally half (if not more) of your team, dead. Making it pretty easy for the enemies to start a push and end the game with a win on their screens.

Jayy

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-2045-0142-7156
Ya know what I feel stupid for not even considering the special use at the end of the game like that.... thank you.

Jayy

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-2045-0142-7156
Ya know what I feel stupid for not even considering the special use at the end of the game like that.... thank you.
That wasn’t sarcasm either. For some reason it never dawned on me to charge a special for that kind of scenario despite how obvious that now sounds. Hopefully that helps in my efforts to secure victories or at least feel less frustrated knowing that I tried it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom