Recent Experience with the Inkbrush

Do you think the Inkbrush needs a damage buff?

• Yes! It is too weak!

• Nah, it's about right.

• Not really sure to be honest.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Sol64

The RNG God of /r/Splatoon

Well, we all know how this thing works, right?

SPLATATATATATATATATATATA.... Oh no finger hurts now, won't use it anymore.

...Well yes, that's true for the most part but, imagine giving it a second go and re-evaluating how it performs and before long, you're carrying a bunch of people so easily that suddenly your opponents ignore your other teammates and suddenly want to snipe, inkstrike and chase you down while you either "LOLi'mGONE" or "brush the heck outta there" before you're splatted.

That's just my 2 cents here and usually on certain maps like Blackbelly Skatepark and Saltspray Rig.

The painbrush is obviously fastest weapon we have right now but it allows everyone to get to the objective first. After that, your teammates gets to work while you start setting up your counter inkstrike whenever things get dire. It's not the best at killing hence why I may avoid confrontations (also getting splatted means your sprinkler dies as well) but it does a really good job at making ink rain on the battlefield (I can take skatepark in a matter of seconds undisturbed on the top platform).

The damage could use a buff but then maybe it'd be a little OP but that's just my impression/opinion that it should've gotten. Often when I win the game for my team, I may only have 2 or 3 kills while everyone has +10 causing me to be near the bottom of the leaderboard after every match but that's not because I'm bad at the game but rather I can't afford to use this weapon to kill everyone due to its build and i'm rather busy performing the actual role, splatzone claiming. (Took a while to get to the actual mode point but yay, you see where i'm coming from now.)

Turf wars speaking though, you can pretty much get to about 1500+ on a win at peak performance (maybe even more? I haven't turrfed warred recently) but I remember seeing a video where someone got around 1700 with it on Kelp Dome.

If you're thinking about using a different weapon or need a change of pace (in my situation I was losing a lot of games until I switched it up) then try giving the Inkbrush a go... Just be sure not to mash yourself out of order lol.

P.s I am a roller main so maybe this still fits in my department.

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
Those who want added power on the inkbrush can probably just use carbon roller (fast but not as fast as inkbrush, still capable of one-hits).

But even that weapon doesn't let you run to escape with regularity. With proper swerving and use of sprinklers you can prove to be a massive distraction
towards the enemy team, or you can invade the enemy base when no one else can to cause massive havoc.

The carbon definitely has the fighting edge over the inkbrush with it's burst bombs and inkzooka as well as it's potential one-hits making it better
at ambushes, but the inkbrush's mobility can let you pull insane gambits that just wouldn't be possible with any other weapon.

I find the best maps for the inkbrush are blackbelly skatepark and kelp dome since they provide ample room to maneuver and opportunities
to flank.

RiDEL

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
RiDEL_Puff
Those who want added power on the inkbrush can probably just use carbon roller (fast but not as fast as inkbrush, still capable of one-hits).

But even that weapon doesn't let you run to escape with regularity. With proper swerving and use of sprinklers you can prove to be a massive distraction
towards the enemy team, or you can invade the enemy base when no one else can to cause massive havoc.

The carbon definitely has the fighting edge over the inkbrush with it's burst bombs and inkzooka as well as it's potential one-hits making it better
at ambushes, but the inkbrush's mobility can let you pull insane gambits that just wouldn't be possible with any other weapon.

I find the best maps for the inkbrush are blackbelly skatepark and kelp dome since they provide ample room to maneuver and opportunities
to flank.
Inkbrush doesn't really need a damage buff to be frank. This is currently my most used weapon and it's damage output is on par with the Aerospray as you still tie in head to head confrontations with it. Either way though this is a flanking weapon so it shouldn't have a large damage output combined with high mobility that would just be bogus design. This Roller plays a lot differently from the others, so much so I would actually put it in it's own category.

Ikieri

Pro Squid
NNID
Mendozaz
I probably shouldn't mention this but if you take a good look at the Inkrush Brushers group...

Sol64

The RNG God of /r/Splatoon
I probably shouldn't mention this but if you take a good look at the Inkrush Brushers group...
Can you direct me to this?

Interesting that there is no option for nerf. Hmmmm
I really don't feel that it needs to be nerfed. It's effort going for the kill considering you have to mash fast for one each time

Nintendome

Inkredible YouTuber
NNID
LogicallyHank
I feel like its current damage level is appropriate. The weapon is already extremely potent as it provides you with one of the most versatile movement options in the entire game.

Ikieri

Pro Squid
NNID
Mendozaz
Can you direct me to this?

I really don't feel that it needs to be nerfed. It's effort going for the kill considering you have to mash fast for one each time
Here you go. Just make sure to read the rules first.

I actually think that the Inkbrush is the most ink-efficient weapon out there. You only need 2 or 3 good swipes to cover ground and 4 to kill somebody. It all depends at what range you hit from and the timing though.

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
I actually think that the Inkbrush is the most ink-efficient weapon out there. You only need 2 or 3 good swipes to cover ground and 4 to kill somebody. It all depends at what range you hit from and the timing though.
Personally, it also goes great with Ink Saver Main, seeing as it can lead you to swipe a few times, then squid and repeat. It's kill power may be weak, but it is meant to spread ink with its amazing speed and specials, and be sneaky to surprise opponents.

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
It definitely needs a buff. Tried this when it first was released, and it was so bad I didn't even want to use it in Turf Wars. The ink trail it creates should be a bit wider and the damage is in need of an increase. Inkstrike doesn't save this weapon at all.

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
It definitely needs a buff. Tried this when it first was released, and it was so bad I didn't even want to use it in Turf Wars. The ink trail it creates should be a bit wider and the damage is in need of an increase. Inkstrike doesn't save this weapon at all.
Sounds like you still have a roller mindset when you're using this. The trail left by "rolling" isn't meant for coverage (except possibly at the beginning to help
your team get to center faster), what it's really used for is the sheer running speed that it gives you which essentially allows you to "swim" without having your
own ink. This gives you unparalleled mobility since even aerosprays need to stop and ink to get through the enemy's. When it comes to coverage jumping
and swinging do the job surprisingly fast, on top of the sprinklers you can throw out.

Asking for buffs to this weapon's damage is kind of pointless now that carbon roller exists. That's the weapon you'll use if you want to kill enemies while being mobile. Not every weapon needs to be good at killing to be effective in this game.

Hinichii.ez.™

Is Splatoon an E-Sport or just a meme?
Can you people seriously, stop acting like the concept of the ink brush is hard to understand?

The problem with the killing on this thing, it sucks at it. Its TTK is rather low, despite the rate it covers areas.

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
Can you people seriously, stop acting like the concept of the ink brush is hard to understand?

The problem with the killing on this thing, it sucks at it. Its TTK is rather low, despite the rate it covers areas.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post, but...

Aerosprays ans splattershot jr.s are objectively bad at killing too (unless you get in their face with aerospray), does that make them bad weapons too?

Nobody is denying that splatting is the inkbrush's weakest trait. But the beauty of Splatoon is that unlike other shooters, a weapon can still shine
even if it has trouble getting kills.

Using this weapon makes you the fastest character in the game. You are quite literally the hardest inkling to hit outside of ink at a range, and you need to take
maximum advantage of this to be successful with it.

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
Sounds like you still have a roller mindset when you're using this. The trail left by "rolling" isn't meant for coverage (except possibly at the beginning to help
your team get to center faster), what it's really used for is the sheer running speed that it gives you which essentially allows you to "swim" without having your
own ink. This gives you unparalleled mobility since even aerosprays need to stop and ink to get through the enemy's. When it comes to coverage jumping
and swinging do the job surprisingly fast, on top of the sprinklers you can throw out.

Asking for buffs to this weapon's damage is kind of pointless now that carbon roller exists. That's the weapon you'll use if you want to kill enemies while being mobile. Not every weapon needs to be good at killing to be effective in this game.
Who cares about speed and mobility when its kill power sucks? Seriously, stop apologizing for how terrible the weapon is. Also, the poll asked whether or not we wanted a buff to it. I say yes and already voted on it. This isn't up for discussion.

Hinichii.ez.™

Is Splatoon an E-Sport or just a meme?
The problem with the killing on this thing
I'm misunderstanding your post
You are misunderstand my post. I said this in response to your post, that was about the DMG output.

You mentioned the carbon roller, as if to say, yes the DMG on the ink brush is bad. People don't want to use the weapon, that is similar. People want to use the ink brush, and if people want to use this weapon seriously, and be taken seriously, the weapon needs a buff in that department.

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
You are misunderstand my post. I said this in response to your post, that was about the DMG output.

You mentioned the carbon roller, as if to say, yes the DMG on the ink brush is bad. People don't want to use the weapon, that is similar. People want to use the ink brush, and if people want to use this weapon seriously, and be taken seriously, the weapon needs a buff in that department.
That's funny, cause I see a LOT of carbon rollers... it certainly doesn't seem the existence of the inkbrush is deterring people from using them.
But as I said before, aerosprays and splattershot jr.s have similar damage outputs and effective range that are only slightly easier to overcome due to merely having to hold the trigger. Yet are they considered bad weapons? No, because they can do something better than other weapons can do: cover, which
in turn also leads to abundant specials. You may end the game with no kills (at least with the weapon itself), but if you play around your weapon's limitations instead of trying to force through them you can achieve success. In Splatoon, splatting people is helpful, but almost never essential. NOT getting splatted
is far more crucial, and this is something the inkbrush is very good at escaping with practice. It's not like other shooters where ending games with little to no
kills means either a) you saw very little action, or b) you definitely were a liability, particularly if you died a lot.

Still, you may be right that the inkbrush, at least with it's current loadout, may never become a staple in competitive teams, mainly because it can't
usually do too much on it's own against an onslaught. But it can be so very effective with a coherent team and if you play your cards right.

Dama624

Inkling
NNID
Dama624
I do agree that the width should be wider, if only so that Ink Resistance isn't such a necessity for the weapon.

ndayadn

yeah
NNID
Seabass

Not just a response to this post, but the ones after:
If the concept is so simple then you would know you're not supposed to be killing very often. It's designed around not being a Dynamo. You can't ignore the entirety of the pros list for the weapon and conclude it's bad, unless we're talking Ranked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom