• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Recon ablility

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
I am wondering does anyone else use this ability, I honestly feel it's really is a rarely used ability that is really effective

It allows for people with ink strike and killer wails to aim their special in the way that will best pressure the enemy and support your team.
It allows me to determine which teammates needs help , if I'm are walking into a ambush, and even where to go to best flank the enemy team (which honestly, when the team has map control, can really be determined by my usual method of checking the game pad.)
Plus when I get splatted with other players I can determine their most used routes and figure out the best area to place inkmines or beckons to best hinder them
Most importantly in rainmaker it helps me determine where the rainmaker is, but more importantly figure out where the enemies are to lead the rainmaker to the path the away from the enemies team (using the two speech blurbs to play hot and cold) while countering the enemy attack and buy us more time.

My Usual build:

Legendary cap: :ability_damage: :ability_damage: :ability_runspeed::ability_damage:
:clothes_tes023: :ability_recon: :ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage:
:shoes_sht008::ability_stealthjump: :ability_swimspeed: :ability_inksaversub: :ability_inksaversub:

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
I've only found it useful for Flounder or Saltspray. Use it with stealth jump after calling out if they're flanking or not. It's really not that useful on wide open maps.

Charlight

Meme Spy
oh hi

I actually haven't used recon in a while now tbh, but thanks for the ping :o

I guess it's most effective in squad battles, my teammates told me the callouts came in handy every time I died, and it's always fun getting an echolocator every time you die. Definitely an underrated ability, but you probably have better alternatives for solo ranked.

AP3

Inkling
NNID
HoneycmbHideout
Just really started using Recon and I think its very effective with the right weapon and abilities. I use Sploosh with super jump abilities so I can move back and forth with the beacons. Most of the time ememies dont see me coming.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I can definitely see the uses for Recon, and I agree with the points made here.

This isn't remotely on topic, but I WISH more people used recon :P I frequently get ranked allies who stay on spawn for up to 30 seconds at match start, and every single time I check them after the match, yep, no recon, ARRRRRRGH!

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
Recon is definitely most useful in squad battles. I've used it fairly often with my Octobrush Nouveau and my team often tells me that its useful to have. It's useful because I can tell them where specific weapons are on the map. It also helps a fair amount in solo ranked and Turf War because of that exact reasons. It shows me where the biggest threats are currently located and can help me immensely in finding the best path to take. It's definitely been an underrated ability before and after the update.

Them Best T

Inkling
NNID
thembestt
It sure is a good ability for squad battles but it does make it so you have 1 less main ability. So it doesn't work with stuff that needs a lot of abilities but I think it does work with stuff like the octobrush or even a sploosh.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
Recon I feel is a great ability for chargers, it helps to prevent troll players who hide in corners to ambush, and consider the chargers job is to provide support and splat the enemy team knowing who is heading where can help you make strategic plans ahead of time.
For example, you might place yourself choose the different path where the splattershot covering instead of going to the usual sniping area where a .96 gal is heading to ambush you

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Yet to use it in any squad situation. Always solo. I often pair it with at least one superjump and refer to it after being splated, after an escape, tracking a charger, weeding out a camping roller, or I have a special I can put to good use somewhere.

The_Devious

Inkster Jr.
NNID
The_Devious97
What abilities should be run with :ability_recon:? And what should be the role of the member running :ability_recon:?

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Fair enough. That aside then, you want quick super jump to best make use of your information.

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
What abilities should be run with :ability_recon:? And what should be the role of the member running :ability_recon:?
When I'm doing squad battles, I'm usually using Recon with the Octobrush and Inkbrush from time to time. I've taken to running Quick Respawn and/or Quick Super Jump. They're definitely helpful abilities to make the most of recon for your team. Recon is a very support oriented ability. It's very useful if a support member is calling out enemy positions.

The_Devious

Inkster Jr.
NNID
The_Devious97
Fair enough. That aside then, you want quick super jump to best make use of your information.
Should I use the regular for it's beacons (Since I'll be super jumping a lot) ot should I use the nouveau for the range that it's kit gives it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom