• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Recon>Stealth Jump in many situations

KeebyKakes

Senior Squid
I don't see many people using Recon (probably since both Ninja Squid and Cold-blooded outclass it in general) but I feel like it is better than Stealth Jump in modes such as Turf Wars since you can Super Jump safely without the speed penalty. The 20% decrease in super jumping speed is crucial if you have to escape a Kraken and have nowhere to swim, if you're cornered or being pursued, etc. Using Recon also means you can use Ink Resistance Up which I feel is the best out of the shoe-exclusive abilities. The only mode I would rather use Stealth Jump in is Tower Control because if you jump to a teammate on the tower and the tower is taken over by someone on the other team, you can land after them and sneak attack them. Even then, this is highly situational.

1o2

Inkling Cadet
Um.. why exactly does this matter? Recon is a robe exclusive ability, and Stealth Jump is a shoes exclusive ability. If you really wanted to, you could just run both. Unless you mean which is better to use when super jumping, in which case I guess Recon helps you see the enemies surrounding you when you super jump. Although, if you clearly see enemies around your teammate you shouldn't be super jumping anyway, and you can usually tell if their are enemies near said teammate by looking at the ink coverage around them, so. On the other hand Stealth Jump lets you super jump into any situation, regardless of the enemies because they don't know you're coming. If this is what you meant, then I'd definitely say Stealth Jump>Recon all day everyday.

But there is absolutely no reason to run Recon when Cold-Blooded and even Ninja Squid exist. Plus, Ink Resistance is infinitely better than Stealth Jump in any gamemode except for maybe TC as you said.

KeebyKakes

Senior Squid
I've seen people use Stealth Jump and not Cold-blooded or Ninja Squid and I just think if you really want to be safe with your super jumps Recon is safer because you can see if there are enemies near your teammates whereas with Stealth Jump you are simply going in blind. If you super jump into enemy territory (regardless of Stealth Jump) you will get stuck and be visible on your opponent's Gamepads and there will probably be people around you and will likely splat you. I honestly feel like you shouldn't really need either ability though because there are better options and you shouldn't be super jumping all the time.

PK21

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
PuffleKirby21
I actually run Recon+Ink Resistance in almost every mode and it works very well. I end up SJing more when the map is bigger, so I need a quick SJ on maps like Camp Triggerfish and Urchin Underpass.

NamelessCrow

Inkster Jr.
NNID
TylerBlind
Um.. why exactly does this matter? Recon is a robe exclusive ability, and Stealth Jump is a shoes exclusive ability. If you really wanted to, you could just run both. Unless you mean which is better to use when super jumping, in which case I guess Recon helps you see the enemies surrounding you when you super jump. Although, if you clearly see enemies around your teammate you shouldn't be super jumping anyway, and you can usually tell if their are enemies near said teammate by looking at the ink coverage around them, so. On the other hand Stealth Jump lets you super jump into any situation, regardless of the enemies because they don't know you're coming. If this is what you meant, then I'd definitely say Stealth Jump>Recon all day everyday.

But there is absolutely no reason to run Recon when Cold-Blooded and even Ninja Squid exist. Plus, Ink Resistance is infinitely better than Stealth Jump in any gamemode except for maybe TC as you said.
You pretty much said everything I would have said really. Also, little sidenote: your profile pic is awesome, nice choice c: Good to see other hunter x hunter fans out there

Reactions: 1o2

Galaxeon

Inkling
I also run Recon and Ink Resistance Up in some of my sets and it works pretty well.

Ninja Squid is really overrated, has been nerfed, is the only ability out of the three that has drawbacks, and it is ironically completly ruined by locators.
In some games, you'd feel really silly with a Cold-Blooded if the opponents don't throw point sensors or use echolocators, because that happens.
As for Recon : it has no drawbacks, it is basically a free echolocator whenever you want/die, is immuned to Cold-Blooded, and you can use it to recover safely. It combos well with super jump escapes and therefore combos well with quick jump abilities (or quick respawn). It's not extremly powerful, true, and you have to possess a nice sense of anticipation and a good knowledge of the map to properly make it useful without losing too much time... but if you do all that then it's worth it.

It's not as great as Cold-Blooded and is not a saple but is definetly the most consistent main clothing ability to me.
And the clothings :clothes_tes023::clothes_tes020::clothes_tel005:look so great.

deepseadiva

Full Squid
I love Recon and do think it is underrated. Like @Galaxeon said Cold-Blooded can be a wasted slot. Ninja Squid is very good competition. Does it outclass Recon entirely? Quite possibly, but I find Recon is not a useless #2 ability.

It does allow for very powerful Super Jumps. Since it reveals all opponent locations, it almost guarantees a safe landing. Along with the invaluable information of opponent position and direction. Blind Super Jumps are usually always horrible, but good aware Jumps are a huge advantage all their own.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
It doesn't matter much which since CB/Ink Resist are two of the most useful abilities out there, making other abilities exclusive to clothes/shoes not really worth picking. But if you have to lose one, pick CB.
I don't like stealth jump because you jump slower, making escaping by superjumping not an option in most situations. Recon allows you to see everyone and where they are, not only allowing you to jump where you want but also allowing you to use any weakspots the enemy left exposed. Not to mention it doesn't slow your jumping down!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom