Regarding The Splatfest Results

Agent Z

Inkling Commander
If anyone wishes they could be more like a Squid (or kid) well then guess what you are in luck because I just learned that a lot of people have one very important trait in common with Inklings; they are sore losers. And since I'm a sociopathic hypocrite that deserves to have their tentacles sheared off and made into fried Squid Rings by Octavio's Octo Oven, I'm going to be a bit of a poor sport myself.

So, Mayo won. That's not the problem. I'm actually glad that they did because Pearl needs some more victories under her enormous bomb-sized zippers. Congratulations are deserved, when 12:00 hit, they won. Next time, we'll do it all again and I'll hope that the tables turn.

The problem is with the system itself. Splatfests aren't supposed to be a popularity contest... Except here they're becoming one. ONLY IT'S INVERTED (dun dun dun). The side with the least popularity is more likely to win. How is that so? Well it could have something to do with the fact that the servers are all bollocked up and I kept having to beat a bunch of my fellow Ketchup Comrades to death with my Hero Roller, and none of those victories counted. I fought for my team and won over 30 times, earning 21 Super Sea Snails for my efforts. Only about 5% of those battles were actually against team Mayo.

In a seashell, it works like this. Ketchup had 70% or more popularity, so that part of the battle was an absolute curbstomp. This is exactly where the problem comes. Poor Marina was doomed because battles against your own team do not count towards the final score. That means that most of the victories I achieved were about as useful as a Crusty Seanwich after Judd has taken a bite out of it and tossed it into the trash bin. So not only do I feel useless again and want to torture myself by using a water dropped on my tentacles, but I feel ever so slightly cheated..... and I'm a little bit angry at the player base too.

I never picked a favorite Squid Sister because as far as I'm concerned, you cannot have one without the other. That being said, I never picked a favorite member of Off The Hook (I nearly said hook and er together, splat me). I picked Ketchup because my best friend loves it and my mother loves it (I love my mom). I feel like most people picked Ketchup because they were too busy ogling at Marina's not-tentacles that they failed to realize they would be DOOMING THEMSELVES.

I've actually forgotten what I was ranting about by now... I stayed up until midnight with strobe lights on in my living room participating in the Splatfest. So I guess I'm done now.

Also, seeing Marie all by herself made me cry.

SAHSWAMPY

Semi-Pro Squid
Most of my battles were mirrors as well, I think I played close to 40-50 matches or so yesterday during Splatfest. I stopped once I reached Ketchup King.

Around 35 of them were mirror battles, so overall 15 battles counted as victories/losses and the other 35 were the same as me playing a normal game of Turf War... I feel like I contributed hardly anything now.

Aside from that and my constant disconnects to a lot of battles (including times where the game believed my disconnects were me rage quitting so I had to wait 5 minutes about 10 times) I enjoyed Splatfest like I always do, I always find it amusing that its a battle for choosing between 2 food condiments or Pizza topping preferences or which Pokémon game is better...

also yeah it is kinda sad seeing Marie on her own :<...

Agent Z

Inkling Commander
Most of my battles were mirrors as well, I think I played close to 40-50 matches or so yesterday during Splatfest. I stopped once I reached Ketchup King.

Around 35 of them were mirror battles, so overall 15 battles counted as victories/losses and the other 35 were the same as me playing a normal game of Turf War... I feel like I contributed hardly anything now.

Aside from that and my constant disconnects to a lot of battles (including times where the game believed my disconnects were me rage quitting so I had to wait 5 minutes about 10 times) I enjoyed Splatfest like I always do, I always find it amusing that its a battle for choosing between 2 food condiments or Pizza topping preferences or which Pokémon game is better...

also yeah it is kinda sad seeing Marie on her own :<...
I took a few screenshots I might post because I noticed something that might jerk some tears. If you zoom in on Marie from a distance close enough to her, you can see that her eyes will shift. They'll usually be looking out at the crowd, but sometimes you can see that she's looking directly at you. I know that this is so, because I took shots from several different angles, and her head would even turn to see me sometimes. It seemed as if she was almost mournful looking for a familiar face in the crowd, and she sees her Agent out there. It hurt me so much that I spent the last hour before the results were announced just playing levels in Octo Canyon to spend time with her.

SAHSWAMPY

Semi-Pro Squid
I took a few screenshots I might post because I noticed something that might jerk some tears. If you zoom in on Marie from a distance close enough to her, you can see that her eyes will shift. They'll usually be looking out at the crowd, but sometimes you can see that she's looking directly at you. I know that this is so, because I took shots from several different angles, and her head would even turn to see me sometimes. It seemed as if she was almost mournful looking for a familiar face in the crowd, and she sees her Agent out there. It hurt me so much that I spent the last hour before the results were announced just playing levels in Octo Canyon to spend time with her.
aw :<... I get the feeling she misses doing Splatfest with Callie

Agent Z

Inkling Commander
aw :<... I get the feeling she misses doing Splatfest with Callie
They grew more and more distant over the course of two years to the point where they'd always be working alone. My mind is a lot more at ease knowing that they're singing together again following the end of the Octo Canyon Campaign.

MrL1193

Inkling Cadet
Mirror matches do not put the more popular team at a disadvantage at all. For every mirror match that prevents skilled players from raising their Splatfest team's win percentage, there is a mirror match that prevents less skilled players from dragging it down.

Back during one of the Splatoon 1 Splatfests, I posted a hypothetical scenario to show what actually happens when the Splatfest teams have equal skill but unequal popularity. Take a look at the numbers if you're still not convinced that what I'm saying is true.

https://squidboards.com/threads/next-us-splatfest-pirates-vs-ninjas.10254/page-5#post-113130

Agent Z

Inkling Commander
Mirror matches do not put the more popular team at a disadvantage at all. For every mirror match that prevents skilled players from raising their Splatfest team's win percentage, there is a mirror match that prevents less skilled players from dragging it down.

Back during one of the Splatoon 1 Splatfests, I posted a hypothetical scenario to show what actually happens when the Splatfest teams have equal skill but unequal popularity. Take a look at the numbers if you're still not convinced that what I'm saying is true.

https://squidboards.com/threads/next-us-splatfest-pirates-vs-ninjas.10254/page-5#post-113130
I'm not saying that there are other factors involved, I'm just saying this based on what I did know (which was basically nothing since I did no research).
I wrote this about 10 minutes after I woke up and I was suffering caffeine withdrawal so that's probably why I was so testy about all the mirrors.

Hamachiカマ★

Full Squid

What page is it on? I didn't see it. To be clear I'm not salty at all, 21 shells is glorious! Thank you Nintendo...

I do think popularity can effect the win. I'm pretty sure most children picked ketchup, as someone who works with kids I can't tell you how many kids love fried crap with ketchup...as many adults do too lol.

Also I did face way more mayo solo than I did with friends...

Anyway overall I think this system works best, we can't have it perfect and I think the way they did the shells should quell all salt. Especially now that we get shells for levels 30+

Congrats to team,mayo~

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Y'know, I was kinda glad that they added a second wins statistic to the decision. On paper at least, having a third category means that a Splatfest can never be decided through sheer popularity or all the pros uniting on one side.

I mean, if Team Ketchup had managed to get at least more wins in either the solo- or team-queue category, would we really be having this discussion?

AwesomeCookie

Pro Squid
Apartment In Inkopolis With His 3 Friends
Switch Friend Code
SW-7071-8973-2321
Yipes. Kinda feel bad for Ketchup and their mirror matches that didn't mean anything. They really should really change how like the voting system works. If it doesn't, and the next splatfest has one team with 90% of votes, you know the other team is gonna win.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031

This is what most people are missing here. If anything, a vastly more popular team puts the unpopular team at a disadvantage. The popularity vote is a head start.

From there, the matches are an instance of a population (the unpopular team) versus a random(ish) sample size (the popular team). Three scenarios can play out:

1. The power level does its job, and, regardless of mirror matches, only like-skilled teams from opposite sides play each other. In this case, everything is fair. Taking into account the popular team's vast head start (a 1 point lead in a best of three series), this favors the popular team.

2. The power level doesn't do its job, and the popular team pits more skilled players against the unpopular team's less skilled players. In this case, it isn't fair and the popular team crushes the unpopular team.

3. The power level doesn't do its job, and the popular team pits LESS SKILLED players against the unpopular team's MORE skilled players. In this case, it still isn't that fair, but at least the popular team has the head start.

There's not a great way around this except that the power level needs to better calculate which players are good and which players are bad. I was on team ketchup, and I played a two hour stretch with teammates who didn't know the very basics of turf wars even at level 2000 and above (they painted the base first, and even when we secured the neutral ground, were uninterested in defending it). Thus, I spent two hours losing almost every single game. The power level didn't do its job.

Another thing that might help is expanding the queues. I'd propose the points be broken into five categories:

1. Popularity
2. Solo Turf Wars
3. Solo Ranked
4. Team/PAIR (please, please add pairs) Turf Wars
5. Team/Pair Ranked

This might be more viable as the install base grows. I'd certainly enjoy it more.

RelicRaider

Pro Squid
NNID
RelicRaiderULTD
Switch Friend Code
SW-6136-3428-7995
Most of my battles were against Mayo actually.. unfortunately I lost most of them. Blame me if you need someone to take it out on XD. My stats weren't too bad, I'd get a fear few more kills than deaths and usually decent turf inked, but I was playing e litre and if I missed a shot then the shooters could swarm, and seeing how shifty station was entirely new, it took me a couple of games before I found good places for mines to stop people sneaking up and good spots to snipe.

Kimmorz

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Kimmorz
I'm glad they came up with a way to make it so it's not about what team is more popular, but which one wins the most matches. But it does suck when the vast majority of your matches are against your own team and don't really count towards anything. My first thought was that they should change it so that we don't know which team Pearl and Marina each represent until the Splatfest starts, just so popularity could be based on the theme itself, so we wouldn't end up with such a huge split because everyone is picking for Marina. People would still be able to pick their team after it starts and base it off their favorite Off the Hook girl, but they would miss out on getting abilities and scrapping them from Murch leading up to the Splatfest, so they might actually vote on what they like better.

AwesomeCookie

Pro Squid
Apartment In Inkopolis With His 3 Friends
Switch Friend Code
SW-7071-8973-2321
I'm glad they came up with a way to make it so it's not about what team is more popular, but which one wins the most matches. But it does suck when the vast majority of your matches are against your own team and don't really count towards anything. My first thought was that they should change it so that we don't know which team Pearl and Marina each represent until the Splatfest starts, just so popularity could be based on the theme itself, so we wouldn't end up with such a huge split because everyone is picking for Marina. People would still be able to pick their team after it starts and base it off their favorite Off the Hook girl, but they would miss out on getting abilities and scrapping them from Murch leading up to the Splatfest, so they might actually vote on what they like better.
That's a really great idea. From "most" of the Splatoon 2 fans I've talked to, (youtube and Squidboard) they all vote of what Squid waifu (lol waifu) chooses. The massive split between the two teams is causing one team to keep on doing mirror matches, which don't do anything to their score. So if Marina and Pearl don't tell what they're actually voting for, then maybe the votes will be, well, equal perhaps?

Agent Z

Inkling Commander
That's a really great idea. From "most" of the Splatoon 2 fans I've talked to, (youtube and Squidboard) they all vote of what Squid waifu (lol waifu) chooses. The massive split between the two teams is causing one team to keep on doing mirror matches, which don't do anything to their score. So if Marina and Pearl don't tell what they're actually voting for, then maybe the votes will be, well, equal perhaps?
That would be very interesting. A Splatfest based on what people actually like and not based on who has larger knockers.

RelicRaider

Pro Squid
NNID
RelicRaiderULTD
Switch Friend Code
SW-6136-3428-7995
I thought it was just people like ketchup better. It's probably the UKs favourite condiment anyway, maybe apart from like brown sauce.

SAHSWAMPY

Semi-Pro Squid
that seems like an awesome idea! hope that Nintendo would do something like that so its a battle between the 2 things rather than a battle between the 2 idols :'3

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom