Remix vs. Deco: The Decision

Artistra

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Arte_Emo
In my time of playing Splatoon, I've only switched my main twice. Originally I used the Custom Blaster, then I went to the HS Deco and currently I have the Remix. But after reading some analyses by others on the Deco, I'm having second thoughts about my second change.

My personal experience with the Deco was fun like no other. It truly is one for those who like to be on the offense, like me. The rapid fire kept my enemies on their toes and made them keep their distance. Point Sensors snuffed out ink lurkers and allowed either me or my team to destroy them, while the Kraken ensured that the enemy didn't escape death--or just held the tower for a few seconds longer. I'm an "assassin" squid, I like to find ways to get around the map and take out the competition while my team takes care of the objective (but I'll snag the Rainmaker if it's close by). My Deco and I were a force to be reckoned with.

I haven't been using the Remix long, and only decided to try it 'cause an enemy Inkling had it and the Killer Wail was killer annoying. But it's been just as reliable as the Deco, and Sprinklers are excellent for tossing onto the tower pole or onto a wall for an easy distraction in the heat of battle. The Wail paves an aerial path for my team and blasts the ears of anyone unfortunate enough to get caught in it. The Remix is also pretty with its colors, and seems to make a few references to rock music--from the ABXY sticker to the Killer Wail. And I really like music--especially rock!

I want to main one of them, but I can't decide. Which do you think I should choose? Which would you choose?

97Stephen

Pro Squid
For me it depends on the mode I'm playing. I really like both but I'll mostly use the deco for rainmaker and the remix on tower control. I think that the sub and special on the remix is a little better at tc. Not to say that you couldn't use them in either mode but it's just what I do.

Artistra

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Arte_Emo
For me it depends on the mode I'm playing. I really like both but I'll mostly use the deco for rainmaker and the remix on tower control. I think that the sub and special on the remix is a little better at tc. Not to say that you couldn't use them in either mode but it's just what I do.
I know what you mean. Honestly I could use the Remix on all three modes, but I guess maybe I'm just longing for the Kraken. But then again I feel like the Kraken is easily avoidable in some cases.

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
eh?

The remix would be my first pick of the three heavy splatlings for rainmaker.
Sprinkler AND killer wail for maximum shield burst. Not to mention killer wail is a great bunker buster at certain defense points to clear a path for your carrier.

The regular splatling is great for SZ and TC. It is a great zoning weapon like the remix, you just zone with a wider. tankier, less ink spreading sprinkler and a vertical killer wail that also inks.

Deco is the best hunter of the three, I just use it the least because my kraken is lackin' instead of packin' a smackin' xP

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
Personally, if I'm gonna use a splatling I'd go with the custom hydra. The custom hydra I love using because of its sheer defensive power. But, since I see you're arguing between the heavy splatlings, I would go with the remix. The remix has a great defensive kit, sprinklers to keep your zone your color. And the killer wail completely stops pushes on the tower, as well as bursting rainmaker shields.

For you, however, I feel you should be using the heavy deco. Since you've used the custom blaster, you should probably use a similar kit to that (since you said it matches your playstyle). The kit isn't half bad either. Point sensor reveals and exposes flankers, meanwhile, Kraken can stop pushes on the tower, chase the rainmaker down, and win fights against close ranged opponents who ambushed you.
Hope this helped your decision. :)

Artistra

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Arte_Emo
eh?

The remix would be my first pick of the three heavy splatlings for rainmaker.
Sprinkler AND killer wail for maximum shield burst. Not to mention killer wail is a great bunker buster at certain defense points to clear a path for your carrier.

The regular splatling is great for SZ and TC. It is a great zoning weapon like the remix, you just zone with a wider. tankier, less ink spreading sprinkler and a vertical killer wail that also inks.

Deco is the best hunter of the three, I just use it the least because my kraken is lackin' instead of packin' a smackin' xP
I can't get over the ink loss when tossing out a splash wall. I have some headphones with two ink saver mains but tbh I haven't used the original splatling a day in my life. xD

Artistra

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Arte_Emo
Personally, if I'm gonna use a splatling I'd go with the custom hydra. The custom hydra I love using because of its sheer defensive power. But, since I see you're arguing between the heavy splatlings, I would go with the remix. The remix has a great defensive kit, sprinklers to keep your zone your color. And the killer wail completely stops pushes on the tower, as well as bursting rainmaker shields.

For you, however, I feel you should be using the heavy deco. Since you've used the custom blaster, you should probably use a similar kit to that (since you said it matches your playstyle). The kit isn't half bad either. Point sensor reveals and exposes flankers, meanwhile, Kraken can stop pushes on the tower, chase the rainmaker down, and win fights against close ranged opponents who ambushed you.

I agree with all of your points for the Deco. However, after not using it for so long, I don't think I'm as adept with it as I used to be. ^^' I'm curious about why everyone seems to be picking up the hydra splatlings, as I've been seeing quite a few of those in ranked lately. Maybe I have another option besides the Remix and Deco? :P

The Meme Lord

Inkster Jr.
NNID
gravityfallsboy
Ah, yes. The argument as old as time (or at least since the Remix came out), which to use, the Remix or the Deco? As a main of the Heavy Splatling line, this was pretty tough to answer, but I think the Remix is better. The Sprinkler is an essential for Splat Zones and Tower Control, turning a hotly contested area into your home turf, and the Killer Wail is great at scaring away foes from said contested area. Though I am a bit biased towards the Remix, simply for the reason that I played it much more than the Deco. Point Sensors and Krakens aren't my favorite Subs or Specials, I prefer Splat Bombs and Killer Wails. I just find the Deco's kit not as useful as the Remix's, at least for my playstyle. The Point Sensors don't help me with my killing capabilities, since I can almost always find an enemy quickly and the Kraken requires me to be up close to get any use, which definitely doesn't fit my playstyle with the HS line. The Remix allows me to pressure foes with the main weapon as I rack up points with the Sprinkler to constantly harass the enemy team with frequent KWs. Long story short, Remix, but depends on your playstyle.

Artistra

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Arte_Emo
Ah, yes. The argument as old as time (or at least since the Remix came out), which to use, the Remix or the Deco? As a main of the Heavy Splatling line, this was pretty tough to answer, but I think the Remix is better. The Sprinkler is an essential for Splat Zones and Tower Control, turning a hotly contested area into your home turf, and the Killer Wail is great at scaring away foes from said contested area. Though I am a bit biased towards the Remix, simply for the reason that I played it much more than the Deco. Point Sensors and Krakens aren't my favorite Subs or Specials, I prefer Splat Bombs and Killer Wails. I just find the Deco's kit not as useful as the Remix's, at least for my playstyle. The Point Sensors don't help me with my killing capabilities, since I can almost always find an enemy quickly and the Kraken requires me to be up close to get any use, which definitely doesn't fit my playstyle with the HS line. The Remix allows me to pressure foes with the main weapon as I rack up points with the Sprinkler to constantly harass the enemy team with frequent KWs. Long story short, Remix, but depends on your playstyle.
My playstyle would lead most people to think I would benefit more from the Deco, but I haven't been using the Remix nearly as long as I have the former and yet I'm in love with it. While I do get a little steamed from flanks while I'm unleashing a Killer Wail, I must say I've mopped the floor with the opposing team more often than not thanks to the power of the splatling itself, and sprinklers are excellent tower and wall decorations--err, distractions. ^^' and the Kraken is easily avoidable if you haven't already been spotted or if you have the distance and charge to repel it. I've gotten so used to the Remix kit that I switched from the Splatterscope to the Kelpscope.

I think I'm going to stick with the Remix, but anyone is still free to share their opinion :)

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Personally I went with the Heavy Splatling Remix (which I call Heavy Metal Splatling) since it fit my playstyle almost perfectly. I'm a defensive player first and foremost, to the point where you rarely see me hanging out past the middle of any map. The Sprinkler is useful in almost any situation; harassing an enemy, painting a large area, work as a spotter on some corridor out of sight, pretty much anything you can think of. The Killer Wail might not be my favorite Special Weapon (I'd rather have an Inkstrike for harassment and backdooring), but as a support tool it works just fine.

Now the Deco on the other hand as a kit which I wouldn't really ever use to it's full potential. The Point Sensor is nice to have, but I'd rather shoot the enemy instead, so I would only use it to scout over ledges and the like. The Kraken I would pretty much never use because:
  1. As a defensive Splatling player I live and die by my range and firepower, and I don't really like the idea of running towards the enemy just to give up one of those.
  2. I only have about half the total duration of the Kraken (3/4 at most); half to chase the enemy and half to go back to my position (if I can by that point).

So yea, I prefer to have a decent kit that I make the most out of than a good kit I don't even touch (which is why I left my old regular Heavy Splatling in the closet; I rarely got to use the Splash Wall :()

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I can't get over the ink loss when tossing out a splash wall. I have some headphones with two ink saver mains but tbh I haven't used the original splatling a day in my life. xD
Oh it's hella fun! I definetely recommend trying it or another weapon with splash wall sometime (cherry H3 anyone? ;P). There is a reason why those suckers got hit hard with the ol' nerf bat.
If you have trouble with the limited fire you get after deploying one, I'd recommend testing it out with ink saver sub and maybe a bit of main saver.
Ink recovery obviously has less use than it did once they nerfed the splash wall's recovery rate.
Also they can make a nice diversion while you stealthily reposition.

And port mackerel?

HA!
Port mackerel is to splash walls as Moray Towers is to e-liters.

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
Port mackerel is to splash walls as Moray Towers is to e-liters.
So true, combine this with a killer wail, and you dominate every alley you go into. I wonder what weapon has a combination of wall/wail.....

There's a reason Port Mack TC was taken off of the rotation....

binx

Pro Squid
NNID
binx33
Before answering I want to say that even if I play a lot of weapons, I barely have any experience with splatlings. Trying them, these days.

The first thing I thought when reading your fist post is "this guy shouldn't even use a splatling". I mean, you're talking about being agressive and flanking - or so I think. If that's the case, I would recommend the .52s (especially the vanilla) and the splattershots for the mid range, or .96 and pros for a longer range. But maybe I misunderstood the "going around" part.

Anyway, let's come back to main topic. Why choosing? It's not like you want to choose between .52, inkbrush and e-liter, which are very different. Heavy, heavy deco or remix... The same main weapon. I'm not saying it plays the same way, but part of the skills is the same. If you're good with one you shouldn't be too bad with the others, unless you absolutely need the sub or the special of one version (and then you have no doubt about which one you want). So, my advice would be to choose depending of the rotation - or, in competitive, depending of the precise map.

To be more precise, the deco is the power version. The remix is more of a support version, so if you want to be an assassin you should prefer the deco for sure. Basically, having a kraken ready is being allowed to overplay/powerplay, which is quite awesome for an offensive player. On the defensive part, the kraken is way better at stopping an overtime in RM than the wail, while the wail is slightly better in TC - though the kraken is far from bad there too. So that's my advice: either take only deco if you want to be more power-oriented, or switch depending of the maps.

Though if you really want power, I believe you'll be better by trading some range for more flexibility and faster TTK with the weapons I listed above. :D

Artistra

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Arte_Emo
Personally I went with the Heavy Splatling Remix (which I call Heavy Metal Splatling) since it fit my playstyle almost perfectly. I'm a defensive player first and foremost, to the point where you rarely see me hanging out past the middle of any map. The Sprinkler is useful in almost any situation; harassing an enemy, painting a large area, work as a spotter on some corridor out of sight, pretty much anything you can think of. The Killer Wail might not be my favorite Special Weapon (I'd rather have an Inkstrike for harassment and backdooring), but as a support tool it works just fine.

Now the Deco on the other hand as a kit which I wouldn't really ever use to it's full potential. The Point Sensor is nice to have, but I'd rather shoot the enemy instead, so I would only use it to scout over ledges and the like. The Kraken I would pretty much never use because:
  1. As a defensive Splatling player I live and die by my range and firepower, and I don't really like the idea of running towards the enemy just to give up one of those.
  2. I only have about half the total duration of the Kraken (3/4 at most); half to chase the enemy and half to go back to my position (if I can by that point).

So yea, I prefer to have a decent kit that I make the most out of than a good kit I don't even touch (which is why I left my old regular Heavy Splatling in the closet; I rarely got to use the Splash Wall :()
Heavy Metal Splatling? I freakin' love that name! I also agree with living and dying by your range--Splatling code. xD

So true, combine this with a killer wail, and you dominate every alley you go into. I wonder what weapon has a combination of wall/wail.....

There's a reason Port Mack TC was taken off of the rotation....
I've seen that. Originally it didn't impress me as much as my Splatling, but wall + wail = oh yes. I don't know what it is with me and the Wail now. I have so much fun with it now.

Before answering I want to say that even if I play a lot of weapons, I barely have any experience with splatlings. Trying them, these days.

The first thing I thought when reading your fist
post is "this guy shouldn't even use a splatling". I mean, you're talking about being agressive and flanking - or so I think. If that's the case, I would recommend the .52s (especially the vanilla) and the splattershots for the mid range, or .96 and pros for a longer range. But maybe I misunderstood the "going around" part.

Anyway, let's come back to main topic. Why choosing? It's not like you want to choose between .52, inkbrush and e-liter, which are very different. Heavy, heavy deco or remix... The same main weapon. I'm not saying it plays the same way, but part of the skills is the same. If you're good with one you shouldn't be too bad with the others, unless you absolutely need the sub or the special of one version (and then you have no doubt about which one you want). So, my advice would be to choose depending of the rotation - or, in competitive, depending of the precise map.

To be more precise, the deco is the power version. The remix is more of a support version, so if you want to be an assassin you should prefer the deco for sure. Basically, having a kraken ready is being allowed to overplay/powerplay, which is quite awesome for an offensive player. On the defensive part, the kraken is way better at stopping an overtime in RM than the wail, while the wail is slightly better in TC - though the kraken is far from bad there too. So that's my advice: either take only deco if you want to be more power-oriented, or switch depending of the maps.

Though if you really want power, I believe you'll be better by trading some range for more flexibility and faster TTK with the weapons I listed above. :D
Uh, first of all, I'm not a guy. Second of all, I'm aware that they're all pretty much the same weapon. So it really came down to how the subs and specials were utilized with the Splatling. I've already decided to hold onto the Remix as I honestly think I can do well at offensive play with it (and I have).

I appreciate the suggestions though; I'll look into them--especially one of the Gals.

Last edited:
Reactions: LMG

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Uh, first of all, I'm not a guy. Second of all, I'm aware that they're all pretty much the same weapon. So it really came down to how the subs and specials were utilized with the Splatling. I've already decided to hold onto the Remix as I honestly think I can do well at offensive play with it (and I have).

I appreciate the suggestions though; I'll look into them--especially one of the Gals.
For offensive play I'd recommend checking out the Mini Splatlings (at least for small, less open maps). Regular for skirmishes, Zinc for offensive support and Refurbished for dueling (although I've never used the Refurbished myself o_O). I personally love the Zinc ;)

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
I've seen that. Originally it didn't impress me as much as my Splatling, but wall + wail = oh yes. I don't know what it is with me and the Wail now. I have so much fun with it now.
I've always loved the killer wail, even when kraken was crazy OP, because it didn't have knockback, the vulnerable animation, and it was insanely easy to get, especially with the krak-on.

I'm an "assassin" squid, I like to find ways to get around the map and take out the competition while my team takes care of the objective
Why don't you play something like a carbon roller who dunks on everyone if your team has map control, or what about the forge pro? The forge pro I get isn't used that often, and most people don't like the kit, but for you, I think it can work. The main weapon is extremely reliable, with good range, fire rate, and damage included. The weapon itself is rather gear independent. For example, your not going to need damage up with the weapon, as the weapon can still 3 shot max defense users. The only thing you might want to run is some special saver on it, as inkzooka is a hard special to charge at times. But still, the weapon has light depletion. The thing that makes me suggest forge to you is that you said you loved using point sensor with the heavy deco and custom blaster. And the forge has an inkzooka to help hunt your enemies down, that aren't suppressed by your range and fire rate.

If I were you, only deciding on the heavies, I'd go deco, because it suits you better. But if you did go for the remix, I would try the custom hydra as well.

Either way, it's just personal preference. Good Luck! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom