Rerolling Gear

seakingtheonixpected

Inkling Cadet
NNID
kathrynmc92
I decided to do some probablity on gear rerolling and I figured I'd share the results.

What brand the item is affects the probablity (you can learn more about that here)

Single Slot; Favored Brand Ability: 30.3%
All Three Slots; Favored Brand Ablity: 2.78%

Single Slot; Neutral Ability: 6.06%
All Three Slots: Netural Brand Ability; Any Triple: 0.36%
All Three Slots; Neutral Brand Ability; Specifc Triple: 0.02%

Single Slot; Unfavored Brand Ability: 3.03%
All Three Slots; Unfavored Brand Ablity: 0.003%

If you are rolling and you don't want to get ANY of the Favored Ability you have a 33.86% chance. Which means there is a 66.14% chance that you will get at least one.

Last edited:

ndayadn

yeah
NNID
Seabass
And then there's the neutral brands that don't favor anything. I've seen a really in-depth look at the probabilities, complete with odds of having found the desired roll after X amount of rolls, and iirc 3 specific/same abilities on those gear pieces gives you nightmarish odds. And I can confirm...it probably took me more than 1000 rolls to get what I wanted on Squid Girl Tunic.

seakingtheonixpected

Inkling Cadet
NNID
kathrynmc92
And then there's the neutral brands that don't favor anything. I've seen a really in-depth look at the probabilities, complete with odds of having found the desired roll after X amount of rolls, and iirc 3 specific/same abilities on those gear pieces gives you nightmarish odds. And I can confirm...it probably took me more than 1000 rolls to get what I wanted on Squid Girl Tunic.
I was actually just coming back because I realized I forgot about those.

Single Slot; Netural Brand: 7.69%
All Three Slots; Netrual Brand; Any Triples: 0.59%
All Three Slots; Neutral Brand; specifc triples: 0.05%

So yeah, triples aren't very likely on those brands at all.

Last edited:

seakingtheonixpected

Inkling Cadet
NNID
kathrynmc92
You actually had a 0.59% chance of getting triples on a netural brand if you don't care what triples you get. I updated my post to include that since I'm guessing most people would be happy with any triple they can get (well except maybe strength up).

Kaze

Pro Squid
I got the fake contacts with :ability_specialcharge: (main) & :ability_specialcharge::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inksavermain: (subs) and the squid girl shoes with :ability_swimspeed: (main) & :ability_specialcharge::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inksavermain: (subs)
I only need to get that combination on my squid girl tunic to make the set perfect :oops:

Phobos

Inkling Commander
I've been rerolling on the Squid Hairclip for a couple of days now - had triples of :ability_defenseup:(twice), :ability_quicksuperjump:(twice), :ability_bombrange:, :ability_specialduration:, :ability_specialcharge:, :ability_damage:, and :ability_inksavermain:.
None of these is what I'm after :(

MrL1193

Inkling Cadet
Does that not stack or something
They do. Damage Up and Defense Up actually do encourage careful counting of sub abilities, since you need to reach certain thresholds in order for them to be useful. However, Damage Up doesn't offer a significant benefit to every weapon, and Defense Up is usually only effective in large quantities.

SquiddiamFancyson

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DowntownMountain
I've been rerolling on the Squid Hairclip for a couple of days now - had triples of :ability_defenseup:(twice), :ability_quicksuperjump:(twice), :ability_bombrange:, :ability_specialduration:, :ability_specialcharge:, :ability_damage:, and :ability_inksavermain:.
None of these is what I'm after :(
How are you getting that many triples in just a few days, out of curiosity? With the chance being as low as 0.59% for a triple on unbiased gear, do you save scum? Not judging you if so, but you're pushing some insane luck if you don't!

Phobos

Inkling Commander
Yes given the odds I am indulging in a little save scumming. I have enough snails and cash for 20 rerolls, so I go through all of those and then reload when I want to try again. But even then I've been surprised by the amount of undesired triples that have come up - I think Spyke is trolling me.
Add :ability_quickrespawn: to the list...

Karonax

Octobrushinobi
NNID
Karonax
Yes given the odds I am indulging in a little save scumming. I have enough snails and cash for 20 rerolls, so I go through all of those and then reload when I want to try again. But even then I've been surprised by the amount of undesired triples that have come up - I think Spyke is trolling me.
Add :ability_quickrespawn: to the list...
I like to think of getting low odd triples akin to soft resetting in Pokemon to get a shiny.

Poxnixles

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Vitiel
How do you even roll that many times?

TheElite711

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Elite
I wish I didn't spend the first Snails I got from the first Splatfest on the Scuba Mask. I was trying so hard to get triple damage ups on the sub abilities, then I learned about brands and how they affect what skills you get on them. Best I got is 2 damage ups and something else I can't remember Dx.

Karonax

Octobrushinobi
NNID
Karonax
How do you even roll that many times?
It's called save scumming, using a trick of rotating saves using an external HD, you can rollback your save every time you spend all your rolls and don't get what you want to get all your rolls back.

TheElite711

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Elite
I just reroll when I can do so myself. At this point I don't strive for 3 matching abilities (if I end up with it, wonderful :D), but I do strive for 2 of a desired one and another ability that compliments my weapons of choice. I spread damage around all equips and I've never really looked back since ;).

Poxnixles

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Vitiel
It's called save scumming, using a trick of rotating saves using an external HD, you can rollback your save every time you spend all your rolls and don't get what you want to get all your rolls back.
Don't have one. Is it all that worth it for this trick?

Karonax

Octobrushinobi
NNID
Karonax
I just reroll when I can do so myself. At this point I don't strive for 3 matching abilities (if I end up with it, wonderful :D), but I do strive for 2 of a desired one and another ability that compliments my weapons of choice. I spread damage around all equips and I've never really looked back since ;).
Haha that's the honorable way to do it, but sometimes the OCD is too real and you just HAVE to have that super low odd triple on something.

Karonax

Octobrushinobi
NNID
Karonax
Don't have one. Is it all that worth it for this trick?
Depends on how OCD you are about having all triples, or you really really want triples on something that isn't feasible normally. It's a 1 in 1600 chance to get triple main ink saver on the Octoling Armor, but I *really* wanted it. To the point that looking cool took priority over far better abilities like Ninja Squid or Cold Blooded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom