• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 Respawn Punisher... STILL useless?

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
Since i'm starting to get into ranked matches lately by slowly inching my way into each game mode.
I made another glance at the Respawn Punisher in my gear settings, and it just befell on me...
Recalling all matches, in turf and in ranked matches, i have NEVER seen a Respawn Punisher AT all, the very few i see using them are low ranked or low leveled people who are very new to the game and trying out all the stuff there is.

I'm posting this in the competitive section as i think i need input from both casual and competitive players alike, since i was a bit thrilled of having an ability to harass my opponent, since i'm extremely prone on getting myself killed because i'm overly hyperactive and careless (or in other cases where i'm extremely laidback and defensive).

So the main gimmick of the ability is that if you get splatted by someone, that person is punished by having longer respawn time when they get splatted (if?), and also a larger portion of their Special gauge is more depleted when respawning as well, the issue i have is that i'm getting punished "FIRST" when using this ability, and in high ranked or high spirited matches between extremely powerful and fast going opponents, from this ability i'm being punished by having a bit longer respawn myself, and in matches like those, that extra second or two still means my team will be down one player longer than the opponent initially, and taking over the map by one way or another still means my team may have issues getting it back.

Two good teams clashing against each other, if one is overrun it's very likely in most scenarios that it's over at that point if my team is down too much or cannot organize an attack together.

So this ability seems like a waste of gear and extreme liability for your own team, is it will NEVER be in effect unless you are splatted first from it, otherwise i just find this to be an annoying handicap ability that's just there to mess with BOTH teams just for giggles...

So, any thoughts or should i just completely forget this ability ever work in my favor no matter how i play the game?

cm250

Inkling Commander
NNID
holleyfam2003
Switch Friend Code
SW-4590-2580-6429
Well depending on your play style then the ability proves useless

So if you are more of an aggressive player and can get splats and rest you will cut the deaths down then that ability is for you

If support or defensive this ability might prove to be less useful because of what you do or what weapon you play

cm250

Inkling Commander
NNID
holleyfam2003
Switch Friend Code
SW-4590-2580-6429
But that's just my opinion so believe what you will

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
Well depending on your play style then the ability proves useless

So if you are more of an aggressive player and can get splats and rest you will cut the deaths down then that ability is for you

If support or defensive this ability might prove to be less useful because of what you do or what weapon you play
Let me clarify a little:
Quick respawn punisher whoever splats me by getting his special gauge reduced more and respawn slower, I'M already getting punished before my ability is even active, if that guy wastes his Special gauge before i can splat him or he gets splatted by another on my team, the only thing punished for him is his respawn time, and from that moment, i'm gone for a little more, and my opponent is gone for a litte more than me, so all in all, my ability is only triggered once i'm splatted by someone, and i'm already respawning about a second for each time i get splatted, that means i'm 1 second gone longer while my team is down by one player, for that extra second too, if they get splatted and i'm not back in time.

So again, wasting your own respawn time just to enlong ONE opponent per getting splatted bys respawn time by a little more, is it worth it?

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
Respawn Punisher: Increases respawn time and special-gauge spawn penalty for you and any player you splat..
So, the person who kills you is not penalized, only you and people you splat are. The punishment for you is greater than the punishment for the people you splat so it's really only useful if you know you're good at getting kills and not dying. But most people prefer not to run it because the penalty is just too much and it's a waste of a main ability slot.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
A small bit of info for whoever is interested:
If you use RP and you splat someone, they will lose 15% special charge extra and respawning will take 0.8 seconds longer.
If you use RP and you get splatted, you lose 22.5% special charge extra and respawning will take 1.1 seconds longer.

Punisher is weak in it's current state because:

-It punishes you unfairly.
-Assists do not count, you have to land the killing blow.
-It makes a valuable ability useless(Special Saver) since the effects of RP are applied after the saver bonus, nullifying the effects of SS. Same counts for QR. (this also counts for whoever you splat with this ability, by the way)
-Not many weapons can safely exploit it (Splat Charger is probably your best bet), because the current meta is all about aggressive short/mid range weapons who tend to die a lot.

It'd be more interesting if it would punish fairly and give both sides the same penalty the player will get under normal circumstances, if only for the big special charge reduction.

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
A small bit of info for whoever is interested:
If you use RP and you splat someone, they will lose 15% special charge extra and respawning will take 0.8 seconds longer.
If you use RP and you get splatted, you lose 22.5% special charge extra and respawning will take 1.1 seconds longer.

Punisher is weak in it's current state because:

-It punishes you unfairly.
-Assists do not count, you have to land the killing blow.
-It makes a valuable ability useless(Special Saver) since the effects of RP are applied after the saver bonus, nullifying the effects of SS. Same counts for QR. (this also counts for whoever you splat with this ability, by the way)
-Not many weapons can safely exploit it (Splat Charger is probably your best bet), because the current meta is all about aggressive short/mid range weapons who tend to die a lot.

It'd be more interesting if it would punish fairly and give both sides the same penalty the player will get under normal circumstances, if only for the big special charge reduction.
Wait i'm a bit lost, i though the ability don't punish your opponent, unless you have been splatted by them first, and they get penalized by the next time they get splatted by anyone?

But you're saying the effect is equal, if i splat anyone anytime, they get penalized as above? And if i get splatted anytime i get penalized like above as well?

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Wait i'm a bit lost, i though the ability don't punish your opponent, unless you have been splatted by them first, and they get penalized by the next time they get splatted by anyone?

But you're saying the effect is equal, if i splat anyone anytime, they get penalized as above? And if i get splatted anytime i get penalized like above as well?
The ingame description is wrong, the effect only triggers if someone using RP gets splatted or if the RP user splats someone. Here's a video explaining it in more detail:

I'm not saying that the effect is equal for both you and your enemies, i'm saying it'd be more interesting if it did.

Mar$el

Inkling Commander

This is literally the description: Increases respawn time and special-gauge spawn penalty for you and any player you splat.
But no one looks at those except the first time they play anyway so it's alright.

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
The ingame description is wrong, the effect only triggers if someone using RP gets splatted or if the RP user splats someone. Here's a video explaining it in more detail:

I'm not saying that the effect is equal for both you and your enemies, i'm saying it'd be more interesting if it did.
This is literally the description: Increases respawn time and special-gauge spawn penalty for you and any player you splat.
But no one looks at those except the first time they play anyway so it's alright.
If you heard a thump across the world, that's my head slamming into my desk.
I thought the IN-GAME description was wrong as my reference was from the very first and early Splatoon 2 Squid research reveal video that i got the information from, i watched it several times and the narrator did state that "...wielding this gear ability will punish whoever splatted you next time they get splatted and reduce their respawn time too..."

I wouldn't think the people designing the game would get the ability wrong...
But even knowing that i can splat my opponents and delay their respawn time, the negative status of the ability just don't make it worth using it, unless as stated, i start maining sniper weapons or long range weapons in general.
I do have Jet Squelcher but, barely adding a second to their respawn time... it just don't jive at all if i get a bigger penalty for wielding the ability and fuzz up...

Sifu

Look Behind You
Switch Friend Code
SW-3816-1808-3393
I’ve had games where I only died maybe once or twice, but got plenty of splats (Using various shooters or a blaster). That’s a perfect case for the ability, though you’d have to be able to pull that off consistently

Drew Sebastino

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Espozo
Switch Friend Code
SW-3924-6316-9401
Basically, any ability that isn't swim speed up or run speed up, even after the hard nerf, is useless.

Sifu

Look Behind You
Switch Friend Code
SW-3816-1808-3393
I've been playing a few rounds tonight using my RP shirt, alongside my N-Zap 89. Hoo boy, that is a powerful combination.

Getting tetra-missiles is even more satisfying than usual, since you wait for the inevitable splat, knowing that whichever unlucky squid got caught up in your bombardment gets to wait even longer to get back in the game. Autobombs also become even more fun.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Yeah, in its current state Respawn Punisher isn't all that worthwhile even if you can manage to splat more than get splatted.

And because it punishes the wearer more harshly, I wind up using it as a training tool. For example, when I wanted to get good with the (pre-buff) brellas I'd wear Respawn Punisher to ensure I'd learn from my mistakes.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
I've found (similarly to Thermal Ink) the Jet Squelchers are among the only weapons to use this ability well. A good CJS can get consistant kills while hanging back and rarely dying, making this ability fairly useful. I agree though, it does need a decent buff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom