• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Rollers 101

Rollers 101

jpmrocks

Inkster Jr.
NNID
jpmrocks
jpmrocks submitted a new guide:

Rollers 101 - A guide to help you become better at utilizing your rollers to their full potential.

Hello! I'm here to help educate you on how to use your roller in a more effective way, whether it be for Competitive or Casual. Just a few notes:
  • When I share my opinion on something, it will be blunt. There are times I do and don't beat around the bush, and may be found to be "rude".
  • I have some dyslexia, so words might not make sense, please be wary of that.
  • I won't cover brushes, and I consider tho their own class of weapon. Sorry brush folks.
Now that that's outta...
Read more about this guide...

Eclipsc70

Pro Squid
NNID
EJ_Matthews
Im very sorry in advance, I do appreciate the guide but I must know: what IS that gloriousness in your siggy?... the one with the squids and the kids and the confusion...

jpmrocks

Inkster Jr.
NNID
jpmrocks
Im very sorry in advance, I do appreciate the guide but I must know: what IS that gloriousness in your siggy?... the one with the squids and the kids and the confusion...
I found it a long time ago, and I have honest idea what it exactly is

Njok

Bouncer
I think you should mention for what game mode you wrote this guide. It's not very clear to me.

Also, to be honest i disagree with alot of what you are saying.

Just a few things:
1. It would take you at least half a match to place 30 beakons, so i really hope you were secretly kidding after all.

2. Placing a suction bomb is going to empty half your ink tank, you realize this right? Your trick when being chased really sounds like pure suicide. You are just gonna run out of ink in enemy territory and be worse off then before. If that is my only option i'd rather trade with the guy,

3. I don't think wasting your killer wail on a charger is a very good idea. Most of the time you won't reach them anyway and if you do, it still just seems like a waste.

Just some points, honestly there is more i'd like to discuss but don't have the time right now.

Please don't get me wrong, i'm all for helping other players out and having guides. And i really don't want to sound like an *******, but i just think some of these advices are not good at all.

jpmrocks

Inkster Jr.
NNID
jpmrocks
I think you should mention for what game mode you wrote this guide. It's not very clear to me.

Also, to be honest i disagree with alot of what you are saying.

Just a few things:
1. It would take you at least half a match to place 30 beakons, so i really hope you were secretly kidding after all.

2. Placing a suction bomb is going to empty half your ink tank, you realize this right? Your trick when being chased really sounds like pure suicide. You are just gonna run out of ink in enemy territory and be worse off then before. If that is my only option i'd rather trade with the guy,

3. I don't think wasting your killer wail on a charger is a very good idea. Most of the time you won't reach them anyway and if you do, it still just seems like a waste.

Just some points, honestly there is more i'd like to discuss but don't have the time right now.

Please don't get me wrong, i'm all for helping other players out and having guides. And i really don't want to sound like an *******, but i just think some of these advices are not good at all.
1, that was a joke
2, Yes, I do realize it'll empty your tank quite quickly, but it give you a better chance to kill your chaser than just turning around and trying to squash him, especially another roller. Roller's biggest downside is speed, and turning around trying to be a hero is more suicidal than throwing down a sucker bomb.
3, The killer wail's biggest purpose is to be that 3-5 second long cover fire. If you're pinned by a tricky ****y charger, using it to scare off the charger/killing him with it utilizes it's full potential. Really, trying to use it for an immediate combat situation is just pennyfoolish, it's really to give the close range roller a long range attack. Heck, even the rapid fire guns with killer wail usually have it to give them that long range cover/attack

Njok

Bouncer
1, that was a joke
2, Yes, I do realize it'll empty your tank quite quickly, but it give you a better chance to kill your chaser than just turning around and trying to squash him, especially another roller. Roller's biggest downside is speed, and turning around trying to be a hero is more suicidal than throwing down a sucker bomb.
3, The killer wail's biggest purpose is to be that 3-5 second long cover fire. If you're pinned by a tricky ****y charger, using it to scare off the charger/killing him with it utilizes it's full potential. Really, trying to use it for an immediate combat situation is just pennyfoolish, it's really to give the close range roller a long range attack. Heck, even the rapid fire guns with killer wail usually have it to give them that long range cover/attack
True, you are not very fast when rolling. Which is why you should not be rolling much in the first place. Imo not even in turf war. If you have a good roller on your team he will rarely have alot of points at the end, but chances are he killed a lot, allowing the more effective painting weapons to push.

Beakons slow you down as well, as they will force you to refill your tank. So don't go too crazy with setting them up. I'd argue the strongest point of a roller is his capability to take and hold a zone. Kill who ever is trying to take it from you. Once you did that, then it is finally time to roll and clean up the mess you made. If you do this succesfully, your teammates should be able to just squid jump to you instead of the beakon. By all means, place one close to that zone in the safest spot you can find in case you die and need to get back quick, or if you are being ambushed and it is not safe for your teammates to jump to you.

I do agree on what you are saying now about the wail. I did not read it that way in your guide, but the explanation you gave now is clear. Use it to force them out of the way and then push. If you happen to get a kill out of it, great. Just don't go out of your way to kill one person.

As for being chased. I guess if you are close to your own ink its not crazy to try the bomb thing. I still prefer to just get away and get him once i am in my own ink again. I really don't want to run out of ink in that situation. The only way you are gonna get a kill out of that is when your opponent is pretty stupid. I'd rather have him chase me to my territory where i have the advantage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom