• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Rollers in Ranked?

GreatGateway

Full Squid
How should you play using a Roller in each of the ranked modes? There aren't many so it's hard to tell..!

- If you paint turf, you get spotted easily and splatted.

- If you fight, you get overwhelmed by superior power and range, and splatted. Even direct flings no longer kill.

- If you try and support, your painted turf is quickly covered over.

- If you set up beacons or walls, allies don't use them.

:p

Last edited:

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Uh, I'm guessing this is a joke thread? I honestly can't tell. :L

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Sorry, it isn't. I can't figure these things out and need advice :(
Oh, well a direct hit is definitely a kill, assuming you're within range of course.
I'm not a roller expert or anything though, but stealth and patience are helpful for getting into e, then quickness and aggressiveness when in range.

Last edited:

Zelda4Prez

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-6311-3966-8407
Map control is a rollers best help in my opinion.

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
I've seen roller players in higher ranks, and they are usually very good. They use a combination of stealth and quick movement to get kills, which is the basic function of rollers in general. This game has not been kind to rollers however, I would not recommend using them in ranked unless you are a roller master, or your rank is low enough to where you can experiment comfortably.

My advice, don't focus much on inking turf by rolling around, swim with the ink your team is laying down, and stick close to someone. Once they start to engage an enemy, support them with an ambush of your own so long as you are close enough. If you are playing support, then you won't be directly engaging enemies much, but you can assist your teammates very well in combat. If there are no enemies around, maybe the enemy team got wiped out, then you can lay down ink, focus on the zone, put down beakons if you have the Krakon, etc.

For roller abilities, swim speed is the most important one you could equip. It allows you to swim and jump greater distances, and get up in your enemy's face for a quick splat. Ink recovery and ink saver main is always nice to have as well, since you go through ink very quickly if you are flicking a lot. If using the krakon for the beakons, having some sub saver would be wise as well.

As of right now, Zones is the best mode for the roller in my opinion. The focus on the middle allows for better uses of the beakons, since the action is not moving much unlike RM and TC. However, with TC, rollers work wonders on enemies who are moving the tower forward, so long as you approach carefully. RM is the mode I think is the most tricky for rollers, but it can still work so long as you are playing on a map that allows you to hide and splat passerby enemies. Humpback for example is pretty great in that regard.

As for which rollers to use, until things get balanced, the Splat roller and Krakon are the only reliable weapons. Dynamo rollers are just not what they used to be, (hooray!) the flingza roller's gimmick of the long range vertical flick will not help much since it takes too long to activate, and Carbon rollers, while better than the dynamo and flingza, are not as reliable for combat unlike the first game.

And while my beakons usually are not used much in turf, (much to my chagrin) anyone who has good knowledge about Splatoon will use and attack beakons in ranked. Maybe not the C or B ranks, but the higher you go, people will know just how important beakons are.

vanille987

Inkling Cadet
NNID
777SAS777
The rollers in splatoon 2 or more of a support weapon.
Don't expect to solo-handely take out multiple enemy`s or something, but if you use stealth and overall synergy with your team.
Rollers will end up alot more effective. So obviously, you will be spending alot of your time using flicks and swimming in ink, so you can get the drop on enemy`s before they can react or fight back.
Personally, i suggest the carbon roller, its the weakest of the bunch but also the most ink efficient, fastest flicks and still 1-shots close range wich is what you want to do with a roller.
The autobomb sub is great for scouting and tricking enemy`s.
Ink rain can easely force enemy`s away from position makong it great against chokepoints and zones. though it also helps with pushing.

They're definitely tricky to use especially since rollers are more of a support weapon, but they can surely be good in ranked. good luck!

Holidaze

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
dyngledong
Honestly depends on what roller you wind up using.

I've had plenty of success with Carbon, due to quick flicks, auto bombs, and ink storm, all of which create space for me to move around my target.

I've also seen plenty of vanilla and krakon rollers, they play as a trapdoor spider would, wait for pray and quickly run back, take space when they can and wait for the next one. Specials and subs vary, curling bomb creates space like the auto bomb does, but not as effective, it serves as a tool for distraction. And beakon, even if no one uses them just place them down and use them yourself, don't let them go to waste.

The Dynamo plays as a heavily supportive roller inking turn from far away and dealing with people trying to flank your team, at least from what I've seen. Couldn't tell you much more about it, I honestly havent touched this one.

And finally the flingza, pretty much coro coro from the first game with a longer vertical swing. Treat it as a mixture of both dynamo and vanilla roller, use walls whenever you decide to vertically swing cause of that wind up time being atrocious.

Anything else is all mechanically learned from playing it time after time, experimenting with playstyles until you learn what fits for you.

Yayxiamon45

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-4804-6841-0508
i recommend the kraken roller it's what I personally main

Nero86

Inkling Cadet
NNID
nero86
I used rollers (krak-on, gold dynamo and carbon) on Splatoon 1 until Rank S, but now I can't handle well any of them. I've changed to Octobrush which's a good range and movement, plus it's really great to ink the map to give support.

In Splatoon I think rollers got more complicated, now you have to train your reflexes on wheter you jump or not, vertical/horizontal flicks have a lot of difference.

Yayxiamon45

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-4804-6841-0508
I used rollers (krak-on, gold dynamo and carbon) on Splatoon 1 until Rank S, but now I can't handle well any of them. I've changed to Octobrush which's a good range and movement, plus it's really great to ink the map to give support.

In Splatoon I think rollers got more complicated, now you have to train your reflexes on wheter you jump or not, vertical/horizontal flicks have a lot of difference.
In splatoon 1 i hated rollers and only used them for fun but in splatoon 2 the tables have turned ( for me ) it's easily the best weapon type this time around because it's easy to have a 1 hit kill

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom