• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Rollers - What needs nerfing and buffing

techton

Senior Squid
Greetings,

After about a week of using non-stop rollers, I can confirm that they're not overpowered.

Sure, they're powerful and easy to use, which would normally make up the word "crutch weapon", sure they can get easy, cheap, and accidental splats, but they can be hard-countered in quite a few ways. Those being, long range weapons. The Jet Squelcher and Splattershot Pro are my best counter options. Using ink mines and point sensors have worked decently, too. Even just countering them using the same roller works wonders.

I gotta say. I've been taking rollers for granted. I thought they were overpowered at first, but as I ran with them, I started to realize what I had to do when using them. It's all about being stealthy, and from what I've learned while playing them, I now know what a player running rollers is going to do. At first, I was completely terrible at using them. After having read roller guides and watching some of the best roller mains play, I naturally got better at using them and even countering them with different weapons.

Tower Control is probably the most fun I have using rollers. I usually just circle around the pole when on the tower, so opponents will have to splat me in order to get on. Playing Splat Zones on Blackbelly Skatepark is probably where I feel the most overpowered. It has a huge choke-point that allows a team to control both zones. Because the very middle of the stage is so elevated, it forces your opponents to climb up, so shooting before swimming up isn't an option. I can just camp out in that area, always have my roller on guard so that if anyone foolish enough to climb up right where I'm standing can be splat instantly. And it's not easy to get that specific spot back if you lose it.

So there are some rollers that need slight nerfing and buffing.

The Flingza Roller needs it's vertical flick buffed, and it's horizontal flick nerfed. It's vertical flick is far worse than that of the normal splat roller. Often times I'm mostly relying on the horizontal flick to do the job. The vertical flick is slow, and has really poor damage at a long range. It only OHKOs at the same range as the normal splat roller. Buff the vertical flick up to about the power and damage of the Dynamo roller's, slightly lower range, though. It's horizontal flick can use a small nerf. Maybe a slight damage reduction when used at a range. This way, this roller feels like more of a hybrid of the Carbon and Dynamo Roller. That way players would feel more obligated to use both the horizontal and vertical swing equally.

The Dynamo Roller is kind of trash. Super slow, vertical swing sucks as well. Do something similar to the vertical swing like I suggested with the Flingza Roller. Buff it's vertical damage dealt at a range. For something that takes a long time to fling, it should have a really good range and damage dealt. Could use a slight buff at the speed it goes when on guard/rolling on the ground, too. That's pretty much it.

The Carbon Roller is fine as it is.
The Splat Roller is okay right now, too.

Thank you for reading my ramble post about rollers. I'll think up of something else and change things if I notice anything different.
I feel like I'm slowly drifting towards being a Roller main...

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
Greetings,

After about a week of using non-stop rollers, I can confirm that they're not overpowered.

Sure, they're powerful and easy to use, which would normally make up the word "crutch weapon", sure they can get easy, cheap, and accidental splats, but they can be hard-countered in quite a few ways. Those being, long range weapons. The Jet Squelcher and Splattershot Pro are my best counter options. Using ink mines and point sensors have worked decently, too. Even just countering them using the same roller works wonders.

I gotta say. I've been taking rollers for granted. I thought they were overpowered at first, but as I ran with them, I started to realize what I had to do when using them. It's all about being stealthy, and from what I've learned while playing them, I now know what a player running rollers is going to do. At first, I was completely terrible at using them. After having read roller guides and watching some of the best roller mains play, I naturally got better at using them and even countering them with different weapons.

Tower Control is probably the most fun I have using rollers. I usually just circle around the pole when on the tower, so opponents will have to splat me in order to get on. Playing Splat Zones on Blackbelly Skatepark is probably where I feel the most overpowered. It has a huge choke-point that allows a team to control both zones. Because the very middle of the stage is so elevated, it forces your opponents to climb up, so shooting before swimming up isn't an option. I can just camp out in that area, always have my roller on guard so that if anyone foolish enough to climb up right where I'm standing can be splat instantly. And it's not easy to get that specific spot back if you lose it.

So there are some rollers that need slight nerfing and buffing.

The Flingza Roller needs it's vertical flick buffed, and it's horizontal flick nerfed. It's vertical flick is far worse than that of the normal splat roller. Often times I'm mostly relying on the horizontal flick to do the job. The vertical flick is slow, and has really poor damage at a long range. It only OHKOs at the same range as the normal splat roller. Buff the vertical flick up to about the power and damage of the Dynamo roller's, slightly lower range, though. It's horizontal flick can use a small nerf. Maybe a slight damage reduction when used at a range. This way, this roller feels like more of a hybrid of the Carbon and Dynamo Roller. That way players would feel more obligated to use both the horizontal and vertical swing equally.

The Dynamo Roller is kind of trash. Super slow, vertical swing sucks as well. Do something similar to the vertical swing like I suggested with the Flingza Roller. Buff it's vertical damage dealt at a range. For something that takes a long time to fling, it should have a really good range and damage dealt. Could use a slight buff at the speed it goes when on guard/rolling on the ground, too. That's pretty much it.

The Carbon Roller is fine as it is.
The Splat Roller is okay right now, too.

Thank you for reading my ramble post about rollers. I'll think up of something else and change things if I notice anything different.
I feel like I'm slowly drifting towards being a Roller main...
Ehhhhhhhh no.

The Flingza is bad enough as it is, and its horizontal flick is slightly slower and has slightly less range than the SRoller's. Nerfing it in any way would grind it farther into the ground than it already is.

For Dynamo, I think the vertical flick is fine. It does a decent amount more damage than Flingza's and at longer range. I think the horizontal flick needs to be buffed to do a little more damage.

Carbon is pretty bad as well. Buff the 1-shot kill range and I think ot would be a lot more viable.

techton

Senior Squid
The Flingza is bad enough as it is, and its horizontal flick is slightly slower and has slightly less range than the SRoller's. Nerfing it in any way would grind it farther into the ground than it already is.
I dunno, I've been having fun and doing well using the Flingza Roller. The horizontal flick on the Flingza is no different from the Splat Roller's.
Just asking, did you read the whole paragraph?

EDIT: Scratch the horizontal flick. I actually thought it was the same as the Splat Roller's. Didn't really notice anything different when using the two.

Last edited:

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
I dunno, I've been having fun and doing well using the Flingza Roller. The horizontal flick on the Flingza is no different from the Splat Roller's.
Just asking, did you read the whole paragraph?

EDIT: Scratch the horizontal flick. I actually thought it was the same as the Splat Roller's. Didn't really notice anything different when using the two.
Yep, I read it. What do you think I missed?

techton

Senior Squid
Yep, I read it. What do you think I missed?
It just didn't seem like you understood it all that well. I'd just like a buff to the vertical flick so I'm not using the horizontal one most of the time combat-wise. It's vertical flick should be identical to the Dynamo's except with more flick speed and less range.
Might scrap the nerf to the horizontal flick in the Flingza, though.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
It just didn't seem like you understood it all that well. I'd just like a buff to the vertical flick so I'm not using the horizontal one most of the time combat-wise. It's vertical flick should be identical to the Dynamo's except with more flick speed and less range.
Might scrap the nerf to the horizontal flick in the Flingza, though.
I think it's fine. The Flingza's H-flick is better than Dynamo's (as it's a lot faster) and the Dynamo's V-flick is better because of it's higher damage. Neither one of the weapons are all that good, but I think, directly comparing the 2, they're balanced for the most part.

Mightysplat

Inkster Jr.
The carbon needs some kind of help because it kinda sucks. I enjoyed playing it in salmon run because it's so fast and easy to manuveur so I bought it and tried it out in multiplayer...yikes. Getting a kill with it was freaking hard and inconsistent. Yes it has the fastest OHKO but good luck landing it.

techton

Senior Squid
The carbon needs some kind of help because it kinda sucks. I enjoyed playing it in salmon run because it's so fast and easy to manuveur so I bought it and tried it out in multiplayer...yikes. Getting a kill with it was freaking hard and inconsistent. Yes it has the fastest OHKO but good luck landing it.
Eh, to be honest I think it's fine. Just a roller that requires a bit more skill to use. You can catch your opponents off guard pretty easily by swimming up to them with Ninja Squid and flicking them in the face.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
Eh, to be honest I think it's fine. Just a roller that requires a bit more skill to use. You can catch your opponents off guard pretty easily by swimming up to them with Ninja Squid and flicking them in the face.
But Carbon can only do that when the enemy team doesn't paint over any of your turf, which is almost never (or maybe you're just playing against idiots) Almost every enemy you will fight is surrounded in their ink. Weapons like .52 Deco have Curling Bombs to advance on enemies, but Carbon does not. The Carbon has Inkstorm, but that is only available a few times per game.

TheTrustedTaco

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-4625-4802-9018
I just think they need to buff the carbon hit box. I've flicked directly at my enemies so many times but it doesn't kill them. Also, the flingza needs more kill range on the vertical flick in order to make it actually useful.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
I just think they need to buff the carbon hit box. I've flicked directly at my enemies so many times but it doesn't kill them. Also, the flingza needs more kill range on the vertical flick in order to make it actually useful.
Yes, I agree with all of this.

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
The Carbon roller is one of the worst weapons in the game right now. Awful range, extremely inconsistent with it's horizontal OHKO hit box (half the time it doesn't even exist), it doesn't paint well either; so relying on your teammates is a must with this weapon. Since it can't support itself anyway. Not to mention, a kit that barely helps it out. Auto bomb is only useful when getting zoned out, and even then, the carbon would appreciate a better bomb. Inkstorm, while it helps the carbon gain some ground and it costs only 160p (Cheapest special cost in the game), it doesn't help the carbon out much. It doesn't help with the carbon's most inconsistent area, combat, even though that's what the carbon roller should be good at.

Trust me, if it required more skill, someone would have discovered that by now. More people would use this weapon, and the community would be aware of it's capabilities. The Carbon right now is a weapon that needs the paint laid out for it, and then it might not even work since the horizontal hit box is awful. So you have this weapon, that can mess up even if your team plays around you having a carbon roller.

The only good things about the carbon right now is that it swims fast and gets it's special fast as well. That's about it. Killing is very inconsistent, painting isn't good either, and it's not like it has range to harass people with either. This weapon got severely nerfed from splatoon 1, since it was reliable when it came to getting one shot flicks, and it had burst bombs for harassing and to help it paint more consistently. The Carbon should just receive it's old horizontal flick back though. It's the main trademark of the weapon (getting fast, consistent one shots), and the carbon doesn't have burst bombs to rely on as well.

Just a small note on rollers in general, none of them need a nerf. They're easily one of the worst weapon classes in the game, since they need proper paint support to function correctly, and most of them have no means of setting up their own turf to do that anyway. The only roller that can do that is the regular splat roller, and it's curling bomb. No other rollers have the means of getting into the fight quickly. Since most don't have range, or the killing potential to set up a pick anyway. Trust me, they're far from overpowered, many other weapons / specials need a nerf before even considering a roller for a nerf.

OneTrickRoller

Inkling
I have to agree. I was an S+one trick carbon roller in S1 and still kinda am. It's one shot range just isn't viable in S2, especially on it's horizontal shake. The trade off for getting inconsistent damage for a faster shake isn't worth it. You have to practically be touching then to get a guaranteed horizontal one shot. It hardly works in S in Splatoon 2, just because I can't rely on it to one tap. More often then not, it hurts for about 80. In a one on one that's fine if they didn't know you were there, but at high ranks as soon as you come out of the ink if you don't get the kill your as good as dead. All it needs at the moment is a buff to it's OHKO range. Mainly, ThatOneGuy said up top, it just needs it's old horizontal do flick back. And don't say rollers are cheap or op, because they are currently the worst class in the entire game at the moment. I've switched to dualies just to make it to higher ranks.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
I have to agree. I was an S+one trick carbon roller in S1 and still kinda am. It's one shot range just isn't viable in S2, especially on it's horizontal shake. The trade off for getting inconsistent damage for a faster shake isn't worth it. You have to practically be touching then to get a guaranteed horizontal one shot. It hardly works in S in Splatoon 2, just because I can't rely on it to one tap. More often then not, it hurts for about 80. In a one on one that's fine if they didn't know you were there, but at high ranks as soon as you come out of the ink if you don't get the kill your as good as dead. All it needs at the moment is a buff to it's OHKO range. Mainly, ThatOneGuy said up top, it just needs it's old horizontal do flick back. And don't say rollers are cheap or op, because they are currently the worst class in the entire game at the moment. I've switched to dualies just to make it to higher ranks.
Carbon Deco is very viable atm, and I can't ever see that changing.

Rollers are the worse class? Almost all of them border in being viable, with the Carbon Deco and Splat Roller already being there. The only 2 that are really bad are the Vanilla Carbon and the Foil Flingza. As for the worst class, I would say Brellas. The 2 normal Brellas are good, but Tenta and the 2 Undercovers are almost always bottom tier.

vanille987

Inkling Cadet
NNID
777SAS777
If using the carbon roller you really need to use vertical flicks, they are actually consistent unlike the hor. Flick and the speed difference is very rarely worth it if sometimes.
Vertical roll flicks as a whole are really important for rollers, I still see people relying solely on the hor. flick but that just isn't the way to go anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom