• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Rules of Making a Good Theory

Cephalobro

I and a few others in this site have been making theories in order to understand the world of Splatoon a little bit better, heck I made a thread discussing Inkling and Octoling biology in the Splatoon 2 section because of things that got revealed like tentacles on the head being malleable enough to change form. However, I'm not here to make a theory, but rather, I'm here to explain what makes a good theory that makes sense.

1. Back it up with evidence from official sources, like, sure you can use fan-made translations if there isn't an official one, but don't rely on fan-made translations too much since you're not sure on what the developers really meant.

2. Never, and I mean never, rely on word of mouth until you're absolutely sure that information came from an official source, a bad theory is one that misleads people into thinking it's confirmed when in reality it isn't.

3. The final rule for making a good theory is to never consider your theory as the only true one of the topic, there are other theorists out there who like making theories and just calling their theories false as some sort of fact is the epidemy of being a jerk, whether you're doing it directly or indirectly. You are free to not believe the theory if you don't like it, but let theorists be satisfied with their theories that they carefully crafted.

Here is the general gist of the right things to say if you don't like the theory: "I don't believe it, personally.", "I personally don't think it's true.", and if you are extra considerate, you can follow up with "But that's just me." or "That's just what I think."

One final point I would like to bring up right now is the whole lore debate and some jerks from the Splatoon Reddit (not going to name them because I don't want to encourage witch hunting) who think they know the entirety of the lore despite the developers never revealing the parts that they think they know. It is a fact that Splatoon lore does have plot holes due to not there being enough information on whatever is being introduced. Nothing is truly confirmed until the developers confirm it themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom