which procedure do you prefer

• first one

• second one

Results are only viewable after voting.

pokegamer95

Inkling
NNID
pokegamer95
ok so I'm planning to run a splatoon tournament and I'm to generate a set procedure that would make a majority happy. What I've come up with so far is 2 different set procedures. RPS gives winner option on who chooses mode or map first, or have the loser of the RPS decide first.

for the first set procedure one team chooses the game mode while the other team chooses the stage. RPS decides who chooses what first. after the match the winning team bans one game mode, the second team chooses from the remaining two and any stage and this continues until the set it over. before matches begins but after stages and maps are chosen teams can choose equipment and guns to their liking.

the second set procedure involves the winner of RPS bans one game mode and the loser chooses the game mode between the remaining two. the winner then decides what map to play on. the winner of the game bans one game mode and the loser gets to choose the game mode and stage. before matches begins but after stages and maps are chosen teams can choose equipment and guns to their liking.

all stages, game modes (except for turf war), weapons, and gear are legal

side poll about turf war http://strawpoll.me/6406921

Last edited:

pokegamer95

Inkling
NNID
pokegamer95
because there are so many maps what would be "neutral" and a "counterpick" would change especially since it would vary so much on game mode

VideoGameVirtuoso

Pro Squid
NNID
ExtremeTechPro
You did not answer the question. If you had difficulty understanding it, I can reword it for you.

Did you do any research about how current tournaments are deciding their rulesets?

BranFlakes

Inkling
NNID
TheShadowGamer
Hey man. Are you looking for a commentator? If you need one, my friend and I can help out.

beckert26

Full Squid
NNID
beckert26
I don't like picks and bans it makes tournaments take longer and will lead to the same stages and modes being played again and again.

Aweshucks

Kinda a loser
Event Organizer
NNID
Aweshucks
Yeah we as a community haven't used neutrals and counterpicks for a very long time. check out some of the tournaments in the tournament listings board and see what their rules look like

pokegamer95

Inkling
NNID
pokegamer95
I don't like picks and bans it makes tournaments take longer and will lead to the same stages and modes being played again and again.
well I could implement a no stage and game mode can be played again unless mutually agreed upon. the reason I include picks and bans is because it gives an advantage to the loser.

pokegamer95

Inkling
NNID
pokegamer95
Yeah we as a community haven't used neutrals and counterpicks for a very long time. check out some of the tournaments in the tournament listings board and see what their rules look like
what do you mean? the meta hasnt been around for more than a year yet let alone the online tournament rules meta. I don't want to use neutrals and counterpicks because deciding on what stage would be which would be too much of a hassle

pokegamer95

Inkling
NNID
pokegamer95
Hey man. Are you looking for a commentator? If you need one, my friend and I can help out.
well this tournament is going to be in the Houston area... and its going to take place at a smash bros regional so i think were good on commentators, but if you're in Houston then come help out i guess. I don't know if it'll be streamed

Aweshucks

Kinda a loser
Event Organizer
NNID
Aweshucks
We use a halo-style map selection. Essentially, maps/modes are determined ahead if time by the TO

BranFlakes

Inkling
NNID
TheShadowGamer
well this tournament is going to be in the Houston area... and its going to take place at a smash bros regional so i think were good on commentators, but if you're in Houston then come help out i guess. I don't know if it'll be streamed
When is the tournament?

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
what do you mean? the meta hasnt been around for more than a year yet let alone the online tournament rules meta. I don't want to use neutrals and counterpicks because deciding on what stage would be which would be too much of a hassle
It may not have been around that long, but there have been LOTS of tournaments. After trying both the picks/counterpicks and the Halo style (TO makes all picks) we've basically landed on Halo style as the best for online tournaments. It saves on time and confusion, especially if there are Japanese teams in the mix.

There was also some CS:GO style, but I'm not sure how much that varies from the pick/counterpick that we started with.

It sounds like you are trying to do a local tournament, which is commendable. I'm not sure if the Halo tournament ruleset is the best for local, but it has been the best for online.

pokegamer95

Inkling
NNID
pokegamer95
It may not have been around that long, but there have been LOTS of tournaments. After trying both the picks/counterpicks and the Halo style (TO makes all picks) we've basically landed on Halo style as the best for online tournaments. It saves on time and confusion, especially if there are Japanese teams in the mix.

There was also some CS:GO style, but I'm not sure how much that varies from the pick/counterpick that we started with.

It sounds like you are trying to do a local tournament, which is commendable. I'm not sure if the Halo tournament ruleset is the best for local, but it has been the best for online.
yeah I'm trying to TO a local tournament. the reason I think this'll work so well is because at the same time there's going to be a smash regional and a bunch of people here who play smash also play Houston so it wouldn't be too hard to run a side tourney. I also don't think picks and bans would take too long because all that would be really chosen or banned would just be the game mode while the team who chooses the map has free reign.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom