• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Salty squids

clare25273k

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-3316-9613-5900
Why is it there are loads of salty players playing splatoon now. How do you dodge them and how do you cope with them? I'm just inking turf and someone always looks for players just to get kills but they are bothered about inking turf. How do you cope with being killed all the time and how do you sort it? It's getting me down keep playing against salty players. Someone please help as I need advice as it's making me not enjoy the game anymore.

miiiiyuuu

Inkling
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-0363-3436-1912
Try to hide from them , like go in places that no one really goes around the map.Avoid them and swim away if you see them and dont make contact. Use your special if needed ( or your sub if it damages) Use something or someone as bait too.Thats all i could think of.

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
Ah, yes, Turf War in Splatoon 2. I believe I've written half a novel about how much it has changed already, but to recap the most important points, yeeeep, Splatoon 2 puts emphasis on "War" in Turf War and I ain't kidding you there. Now what you (hopefully) mean are the hyperaggressive Players who are only out for Splats and ignore the objective (i.e., inking ground). Sadly, there is no way to avoid players like that altogether, but there's ways to more or less deal with them should you find these notorious wardogs in your lobby:

Case 1: The "hyperaggressive players are on my team, halp?":
While annoying to see that, if they're successful at picking off enemies, good for you! Focus on keeping area control inking as much ground as possible and covering walls on the enemy side to slow down their pushes. In this scenario, you don't have to focus on getting many splats by yourself. This is the best case scenario for your current playstyle, I think.

Case 2: The "hyperaggressive players are whooping my rear all the time :c"
Now that's where things get really interesting... depending on how aggressive they are, you won't be able to just ink away and hope for the best. Salty players or not, splatting people to keep control over the map is crucial to each game mode. While these fellas may take the splatting a tad too seriously, you've got two options to deal with them: either, trying to avoid them and hope your team will sort things out for ya, or see if you can spook them away using your subs, or, well, try to face them and turn the tide.

Case 3: The "There's hyperaggressive players on both teams, I can't see anything through all the bombs and corpses e_e"
Uh, open up that map every now and then and see where the beef is at and see if you can sneak past the heat of the battle, or even abuse that situation and pick off busy enemies, then go back to turfing. And, good luck. Bombs raining left and right can be quite a sight to behold, lol.

That's super simplified and overgeneralizing, so if you want more specific tips, what weapon are you playing? Some weapons are better at dealing with these kinds of players than others - and ultimately, even if you can pull off the avoidance game in some lobbies, you'll have to deal with them eventually, otherwise you won't learn how to counter them effectively. I know it's very disheartening to get destroyed by these kinds of players all the time (had this brutal awakening when I thought I could still use chargers in S2 like I used in S1 when I bought the game, lol), so I'm sorry to hear that you're being this unlucky. The matchmaker is all kinds of borked right now and puts newbies and competitive folks (read: single digit levels and level 50) in the same lobby all the time. If you want to gamble a bit, try to switch lobbies after each unfortunate match until you land in a more relaxed lobby and stay there. Ever since I started "lobby-hopping", the odds of finding more pleasant people to deal with have rised unexpectedly.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
This is semantics, but how is getting splats "salty"? It's part of the game -- it's a strategy. If it's upsetting you, that probably means it's working to some extent. The fact is that removing people from the game for short stints, via splats, is a super successful strategy because it means you're not inking while you're gone. That matters.

Now, while I was writing this, @Либра basically what I was going to say, so I won't say more than this -- just that I agree. Figure out strategies to stay alive, and get better at murder yourself. Does that mean you have to be full on aggro? No, but it means you'll stand a better chance of surviving when an aggro player comes after you.

I've found that in most turf war games where I get a lot of splats, it's not because I'm crazy aggressive. I'm not very good at this game, actually. It's that the other team doesn't do enough to stay alive -- it takes awareness and forethought. Both of those things can be learned over time.

clare25273k

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-3316-9613-5900
Thanx for the replies :) I will take what you 3 have said and try to see what I can do (for my team as well). I appreciate your advice :)

KrackHead

Inkling
Those players who are going for kills are not salty. In fact, it is more likely that they are enjoying themselves. However, it does sound like your a little salty . . .

Everyone has a role. And while it would be nice if more people focused in the objective more, you also need those on the team who will keep the opposing team from completing their objective. It's really fun when you have both types of players on both teams, not so fun when everyone on your team is getting slaughtered by 1 or 2 people.

Players need to realize that both roles are important. Players also need to be flexible enough to switch roles when necessary.

Finally, if you find a player you absolutely can't stand playing with, you can block them. I do this for players who ruin matches with squid parties or those who consistently do stupid things like camp the other teams spawn point, WHILE the other team is all on the tower getting the lead or for those who are doing God knows what in left field while EVERYONE else is fighting for the objective on the other side of the map. Usually I will let let this stuff slide (not the squid parties though) for a match or two, but if I get stuck with the same player doing the same stupid crap for 2 or more matches, I'll block them. No need to get salty about it. Just realize that this stuff happens and do what you can to minimize it when possible.

clare25273k

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-3316-9613-5900
It's no fun for me being stuck on the spawn and not being able to move because of being killed if you just even have one foot off your spawn. I didn't buy the game to be constantly killed like that

ProphetEyes

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ProphetEyes
Salty is not being good at the game. Being salty is getting so frustrated that you start to play worse because you aren't thinking logically anymore. You start to make worse and worse plays, essentially feeding the players that made you feel that frustration to begin with, and handing over easy wins for the opponents.

You can't just go around mindlessly inking. There is a lot of deep strategy under the surface of what seems like a silly casual game for kids on the outside.

darktenpura

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-1816-5244-1416
"Welcome to the salty splatoon, how tough are ya?"
Although indeed Splatoon is a game infused with salt (as salty as other shooters), your cases are more like you were confused about the game play as a beginner.
Yes, turf war is all about turfs, but it is crucial to splat players to claim your turf. And players' styles also differ, some people would like to ink more and some people would rather kill more people. Both of them are good, and necessary for the game. This is how a shooter game is like. If you don't like being splatted, there are two choices: to run, or to splat people before they get you. There are always plenty of hyper aggressive players, sometimes even I would be surprised of their aggressiveness, but they are still good players who want to play this game well. You could try to splat some players, and understand the importance of splatting people in this game, because if they are alive, even if you ink turf they will ink it back isn't it? If you kill them they will have to take time to revive, and that would be you best chance to ink. (And You might realize splatting people is goddamn satisfying also)
Btw spawncamping is another thing. Spawncamping is no good. You could consider spawncampers salty, and nobody will question you.
I believe most of the players would enjoy this game eventually, and I know you are one of them. You will get there, I wish you a good luck and a good day.

KrackHead

Inkling
One other thing to add to darktempura's comment (and yes, I know I am stating the obvious), each time you splat another player, not only are preventing them from covering more ground, but you are also covering that immediate area with your color.

BBGrenorange

Inkling Cadet
It's no fun for me being stuck on the spawn and not being able to move because of being killed if you just even have one foot off your spawn. I didn't buy the game to be constantly killed like that
Yes, we've all been there, and I agree with @KrackHead it really does sound like you're just a tad salty.

Really the only way to stop this from happening (obviously the matchmaking isn't under your control so we'll ignore that) is to get better at the game. There are plenty of threads on this topic, so I won't talk about it super in-depth, but I'll see what I can tell you about dealing with aggro players.

The first thing you should know is that aggro players aren't idiots - in fact, the decision-making speeds and technical skill of most (good) aggro players is completely ridiculous.

Most aggro weapons tend to be short-range, so using a long-range weapon and just backing up while firing at them will kill them laughably easily - just make sure your aim is on point so they can't save themselves with their fancy movement techs.

Also, make yourself harder to approach. Make sure the area around you is covered in your ink at all times. This makes you harder to approach and also helps to avoid those annoying sharks that just hide until some poor, unfortunate soul comes along.

Hope that helped.

Last edited:

Shunk

Inkling
You could try not being bad. Usually people are salty because they're stuck with bad players.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom