Satisfaction. Not.

Brie_no.20

Senior Squid
NNID
belle-noire20
I don't know what it is, but lately I haven't been getting that much satisfaction from this game. Playing Splatoon is still fun and I love to play it, but I'm finding myself not being happy with my play at the end of the day every time that I play. Things happen in matches that you don't feel proud of. Wins don't feel like wins, and losses feel worse than they should.

I've only had Splatoon for a little over a month, but what I've focused on the most since getting this game was trying to be decent enough to contribute to my team. I joined a group in the effort to get better at playing, but since I'm not in the same league as them, playing matches alongside them have been very trying as they're always playing against S ranking players. I wouldn't mind losing as many matches as I do if I learned from them, but it doesn't feel like that's happening, and I end up feeling unhappy because I know I'm the weakest player during those games and in all likelihood contributed more to bringing the team down. And those feelings haven't gotten that much better when I play with others closer to my own rank.

I wish I can just write this to 'having bad days', but it doesn't feel that way. In fact, it feels like I'm playing worse than when I first started playing.

Last edited:

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
If you're stressing yourself to "do good" over "having fun" it's possible that might impair your skill level. Whenever I get stressed it makes me play worse- so try to have fun with it. Laugh off being splatted and whatnot, but I know that's harder for others than it is for me. I hope my advice helps out a bit. I don't know what else to say other than this, sorry- I just don't care about ranks either so that may be a thing.

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Wut kinda weaponz you play m8?
And how much turf have ya covered with your main(s), if you have one/some?

Mainly, I'm about to recommend doing what I did and play all the weapons, because I like to convert people to the dynamo roller or squiffer =p

Back when I was B rank or something in augusto and the big bambino update was about to smack down, I had exclusively played splat roller(I sucked with kraken... I still do <,<) and custom splattershot jr. (I LOVE the sound disruptors make =P *KA-swo-shuma-sumswuWA-wa* )
That including the ones that I thought were hobo garbage, as in, the garbage that even homeless people won't touch.

Long story short, I've learned the merit of all (but one >=[ ) weapon type and how to be a royal pain in the butt to any sniper =D (because they are a royal pain in my A-)

There are . . . over 75 weapon sets? And at least as many different play styles/strategies.

Have/want to have the aim of a demi-god and scare the yellow and brown ink out of your enemies?(and also be a special weapon magnet)
Pick up a charger and start defendin'!

Have crappy aim but still want to KILL?! Grab dem rollerz! (especially dynamo, it's slow as dirt with a broken leg and sucks ink like tha sahara sucks up water, but THE RANGE)

Have crappy range and don't want to give a single bean about kills/ want to keep your pacifist run untarnished you filthy undertale hipster?(jk I like undertale) then pick up an aerospray/custom jr./sploosh/SO MANY SUPPORT WEAPONS. You can find a weapon for any shade of the support style rainbow.

You have bamboozler mk II hyper agressive support

You have the "defend until the cows come home, then leave again for a week's cruise, and come back with a crappy souvenir" style with rapid blaster and cherry
H3

Are you completely averse to splattling and want your teammates to save you because you are a beautiful damsel in distress and can't afford to risk breaking a nail?(my personal favorite) grab the custom jr. and turf/disrupt/echo your problems away =p Your score at the end of ranked matches will look pitiful to the untrained eye, but if you do it right your team(especially your charger) will know that you were a key component.

Also OBJECTIVE =p
I've twin squad-ed with a C+ guy on multiple occasions and, while he can get out gunned a fair amount(I always feel kinda bad as I'm S, so the game wants to give us S+ phazon-powered opponents), he has an AMAZING focus on the objective(he could play a mean charger if he really wanted to)
and is just fun to play/discord with =p
Also(if that spoilered bit is too long ^_^;; ) try to look for new ways of playing the game =P
There is so much more you can do besides winning and ranking up.

-Playing a one weapon squad(A dynamo roller squad is a beautiful thing...also prepare to lose a lot xD)
-Playing a random weapon squad(less beautiful, but still great for laughs... again, prepare to lose some ranks)
-Initiating squid parties(and angering the dessegea/iforgetthenameoftheotherguy who have terrible luck with getting squid partyers xD)
-messing with glitches(too lazy to link stuff here, but search it on youtube: there is a goldmine to be explored)
-Trying to draw hearts 'n' flowers 'n' stuff during a ranked match(careful here, I'd mainly only recommend this in squads/lower tier)
-Playing using ONLY your sub weapon(this is actually how I concieved my current S rank worthy custom splattershot jr playstyle)
-Joinging a private match of ONLY sub weapons(search "sprinklers ONLY splatoon match)

I can't condemn these objective hurting activities because I've done so much of it myself, and it adds to the colors of the game for me. I'll never forget the time we got an overtime victory with our dynamo squad...namely because it was the ONLY victory =P

HOLY GERBILS that came out waaaaay too long, just try the game at different angles =P

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Honestly, I know how you feel. I've been there. I'm still there.

It's actually awesome you've admitted that you're not as strong as others. Even better when you ask for help too. BUT you'll never improve if you continue to wallow in that knowledge. So stop it!

You want to be stronger? Almost like lifting weights, do what you can at your current level. Do it to the best of your current ability. Do it better and more consistently. Then you can gradually push yourself to your next limit milestone. Lather rinse repeat.

And once a match is over, leave it behind. You can analyze it, but don't drag it along to the next match or the next session.

And here's something important: Beginning of each match. End of each match. Smile. Even a fake one. Then laugh. Even a fake one. Do it. This is play. Not a chore. Get a job if you want a chore.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
My biggest question is: are you having fun? Like actual, legitimate fun? Splatoon is a leisure activity, and life's too short to spend our free time on something that makes us feel blah or worse.

I'm not saying quit or anything. But if you're not having fun, maybe try to figure out specifically why that is.

Brie_no.20

Senior Squid
NNID
belle-noire20
@Green Waffles XDDD Maybe I should consider fooling around more whenever I feel this way.
P.S: If you're curious, I usually play with the Octubrush, Slosher, and Charger. :)

@Ansible I get that. I'm not even all that ambitious when it comes to multiplayer games. In the case of Splatoon, if I can maintain a B rank, then I'll be happy. It does get to me sometimes though. That's when I wish that I'm a completely different person who didn't take everything so personally.

@Dessgeega I suppose that depends on what makes this game fun for me. And that's the Co-op. Working with others as a team is very fun for me. And doing my part contributes to my having fun. I guess that's the reason I'll feel even worse when I lose, because it means that I didn't put as much effort as my teammates. So when I'm in a losing streak, it feels like I'm in a ****hole.

Last edited:

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Sounds like you're pretty hard on yourself. Splatoon is more team-based than many competitive games out there. You win as a group and you fail as a group. I wouldn't worry about your performance in a given match too much.

Also, if you enjoy working with others as a team, there's a great many co-op games out there that don't involve smashing your head against other people. Just saying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom