• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Savescuming: Why it's the worst thing ever... other than you know, murder and well, lots of things.

afroskull

Inkling
NNID
1AfroSkull
Schooled me. Didn't know it was possible. I choose the hard road

NotAPerso

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PersocomLover
Not sure what the point of this complaint is. Rank scuming may be "possible" but the effort required to go up in rank "without being good enough" is too much to be practical. Seriously, unless someone is consistently winning then they won't rank up. If they're the type to get a win every so often then rank scum will only ever let them keep their rank.
Rank scum erases losing streaks. It doesn't create winning streaks. 10 minutes just to erase a loss and hope the next match is a win only to lose again and take another 10 minutes to reset is way too tedious.
More than likely if you find someone in your rank that's of a lower skill level than you believe their rank represents then it is way more likely that they were carried by a squad up to that point. (that is if you like to blame teammates for your own poor playing during a loss)

VideoGameVirtuoso

Pro Squid
NNID
ExtremeTechPro
Not sure what the point of this complaint is. Rank scuming may be "possible" but the effort required to go up in rank "without being good enough" is too much to be practical. Seriously, unless someone is consistently winning then they won't rank up. If they're the type to get a win every so often then rank scum will only ever let them keep their rank.
Rank scum erases losing streaks. It doesn't create winning streaks. 10 minutes just to erase a loss and hope the next match is a win only to lose again and take another 10 minutes to reset is way too tedious.
More than likely if you find someone in your rank that's of a lower skill level than you believe their rank represents then it is way more likely that they were carried by a squad up to that point. (that is if you like to blame teammates for your own poor playing during a loss)
Those are some great points. The issue lies in that the OP considers the ranks as a measurement of skill, as stated in their post. Due to this, and the presense of people who save scum, their dilemma is that they are unable to determine whether their rank has any value in corrolation to other ranks, and thus, their measurement of skill.

One way to remedy this issue is to evaluate your own performance with Splatoon tournaments. In such a setting, only skill is presented because the stakes are not based on rank, but on something else, usually prize money, which is often more valued. This can also be supported by how Hold'em works online, with play and real money, as well as in live person.

Any setting where peoples values/beliefs are at risk, and/or the reward outweighs the consequences, will allow skill to be fully realized. For example, any scenario involving elimination will turn quickly into a proving ground to show endurance, and thus, skill.

Sasy

Inkling
NNID
aWanderingArtist
I think getting carried to a rank you don't deserve and save-scumming are things only the lowest of the low do. Sounds familiar?
Both these actions have the player at a rank that they don't belong in. They go hand-in-hand with each other.

Players who save-scum are skilled at the game. I'm not saying they are tourney-worthy, I am saying they aren't trash. They can get themselves a win every once in a while, it's just that they mostly rely on their teammates for a win (in the higher ranks). That is getting carried.

The only difference is, when you get carried, you rank down very easily. Once you play solo (if you were carried by squads) then you will rank down considerably faster than normal, back to your own skill level and true rank that represents your skill. I know this, I've been through it. Mind you, I knew I was getting carried, and I did not mind ranking down. I expected it.
Cough, back to the subject.. save-scumming, on the other hand, erases losing streaks. Like you had stated in your post. Instead of ranking down to their proper rank, they simply reset their data back to the rank they were at, and whine about teammates. If a user is close to ranking up, and they are determined to have a rank (that does not represent them), then after 2 or 3 wins they will save. I've seen it, I have a sibling that does this, unfortunately. Of course, it is not always wins, it's the amount of points earned for a win. In S, winning 3 times, earning 1 point for each win will not be enough motivation to save-scum, than if you won once and gained 6 points in S.

Because save-scummers do this, they harm themselves and the people around them. You cannot throw a B rank into an S rank room and expect them to learn, and become more skilled. It cannot work this way, the S ranks are far more experienced with the game. The save-scummers hurt their ability to play the game properly (resulting in them losing more often and thinking they are bad) and they hurt those who worked hard for the rank.

Just a side note, if you save-scum rank, you have no bragging rights. I don't pay attention to useless letters besides names anymore, I pay attention to whether or not you know what the objective is in the game. There is no honor in bragging about how you got to S+ 99 if you don't play like an S+ player. Rank is just a letter. Rank is not something you deserve; it's something you earn. Ahem, sorry, this turned mostly into a rant on my part. <3

NNID
m0nkeyd0g
I think getting carried to a rank you don't deserve and save-scumming are things only the lowest of the low do. Sounds familiar?
Both these actions have the player at a rank that they don't belong in. They go hand-in-hand with each other.

Players who save-scum are skilled at the game. I'm not saying they are tourney-worthy, I am saying they aren't trash. They can get themselves a win every once in a while, it's just that they mostly rely on their teammates for a win (in the higher ranks). That is getting carried.

The only difference is, when you get carried, you rank down very easily. Once you play solo (if you were carried by squads) then you will rank down considerably faster than normal, back to your own skill level and true rank that represents your skill. I know this, I've been through it. Mind you, I knew I was getting carried, and I did not mind ranking down. I expected it.
What are you saying about people getting carried being bad? Unless, I guess, it's in a squad battle, it's never intentional, and there tends to be a quick turnaround for those who get carried to ranks they don't yet deserve.

It happens to everyone from time to time, but it almost always corrects itself, so I don't really see what your problem is.

Jugglec

Inkster Jr.
Okay, back from vacation. I enjoyed all the feedback on this topic and I think more people are aware of it now. I think the one point that was brought up which makes this less of a problem than I thought is how tedious it would be for a poor player to rank up this way. With this in mind it's a It's not happening a lot so it's not causing to much of a disruption. So that's good. Also, I do have a squad that I play with so I'm not just complaining about being matched with randoms. I like playing with randoms, it's got that "you never know what your gonna get" excitement to it that you don't find when you're with a team playing out a predetermined strategy. It teaches you to think on your feet.

Sasy

Inkling
NNID
aWanderingArtist
What are you saying about people getting carried being bad? Unless, I guess, it's in a squad battle, it's never intentional, and there tends to be a quick turnaround for those who get carried to ranks they don't yet deserve.

It happens to everyone from time to time, but it almost always corrects itself, so I don't really see what your problem is.
Because those who were carried need to lose in order to go back to the rank they were once at. As for the people who worked hard for their rank, they lose as well because they have a lesser-skilled played on their team. It's unfair because they don't deserve to lose their rank.
I'm more annoyed by the fact that those who are carried like to brag about their rank, not their skill, but that's more personal.

Sorry if my last post was not well-said, I did not word it will and it turned out to be more of a rant.

seakingtheonixpected

Inkling Cadet
NNID
kathrynmc92
Playing devil's advocate I'd say Save Scumming in ranked probably doesn't have as big an effect as people might think. Because if someone is going to cheat there way to S/S+ rank they will likely stop playing Solo Queue and only play team ranked for the points (and does anyone actually care about the integrity of squad battles?). They also probably do it to seem "badass" when other people check their rank, but that's just silly vanity that only effects them.

With that said I think save scumming ranked is pathetic and weak, and would never personality do it. I want to eventually experience the accomplishment of getting into S+ legitimately. I just don't care what other people do with their rank.

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
Was gonna make a thread about this, but now that i know it's savescumming that is in effect, i do not feel bad for losing S matches anymore.
I'm serious, i get S+ people into my ranked matches on my team, and i can double my Splats and performance compared to them.

The only thing you get from the S+ rank anyway is more money compared to the S rank, so why savescum over something so trivial anyway?
If you're losing every match anyway, you won't benefit still...

I have never seen people devoid of logic like this.

Pivi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
HeroPivi
Rollscumming slots really is no big deal, I'd probably do it too if I didn't have a digital copy, though nothing really matches the feeling of rolling a triple Swim Speed up on red High tops after like....2 weeks of trying.

As for rankscumming, that's an issue since it'd be one thing if it only let yourself down, but when you're a fraudulent S/S+ player, you then bring other people down, people who don't rankscum, and when your team loses because you can't keep up, everyone suffers (except the Rankscummer lo)

I can definitely get the motivation behind it though, I threw myself into a rage when I hit S 98, then lost 3 rounds in a row, but even if the action is understandable, it's by no means justified. Shame on you, rankscummers lurking this thread, shame.

Silentium

Senior Squid
As for rankscumming, that's an issue since it'd be one thing if it only let yourself down, but when you're a fraudulent S/S+ player, you then bring other people down, people who don't rankscum, and when your team loses because you can't keep up, everyone suffers (except the Rankscummer lo)
Whoah whoah whoah, hold the phone. You can save scum to get into higher ranks? How!? I've never heard of such a thing.

Pivi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
HeroPivi
Whoah whoah whoah, hold the phone. You can save scum to get into higher ranks? How!? I've never heard of such a thing.
Oh, no no no, I guess I wasn't clear, what I meant was that via rankscumming, you can make those 3 losses not count and keep retrying until you win one more and hit S+

Silentium

Senior Squid
Oh, no no no, I guess I wasn't clear, what I meant was that via rankscumming, you can make those 3 losses not count and keep retrying until you win one more and hit S+
But you can still scum your way to achieve a higher rank than you should earn. I've never heard of that. What, do you save a copy of your profile before the losses and replace the save file on the console with the copy if you lost too much?

D

Deleted Member

ITT: People claiming rank doesn't matter while in the same breath saying save-scumming is horrible and outlandish.

Also, people encouraging one form of cheating while condemning another form.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
ITT: People claiming rank doesn't matter while in the same breath saying save-scumming is horrible and outlandish.

Also, people encouraging one form of cheating while condemning another form.
There's a huge difference in the two however. One causes "crappy" players to severely hinder the better players, causing them to drop. The other saves time on something they are likely going to try and do anyways. One can happen regardless of skill, and simply saves time and lots of money. The other usually requires skill, even if it's minimal, to achieve, unless of course you Save Scum.

Also, either way it isn't "Cheating" it's an exploit. If this gear made us invincible, it'd be cheating, until then, call it what it is.

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
Eh, I still don't think it's a big deal. The vast majority of my random online matches are frustrating whether the people save scum or just suck. Squad matches are the way to go. That way you know there won't be any save-scummers and you know the people are halfway competent. Rank doesn't matter if you know you're pairing up with people around your skill level or better. It honestly doesn't matter at all, but some people feel differently.

Quilavaflare

Senior Squid
NNID
Quilavaflare
Just out of curiosity, but, of the masses, how many people do you guys honestly expect know about and perform this exploit regularly?

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
Just out of curiosity, but, of the masses, how many people do you guys honestly expect know about and perform this exploit regularly?
Maybe 10%. And that's pushing it. I mean, that's a LOT of people when you think of how many people play Splatoon. Regardless, no where near enough to notice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom