• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

SCL 10: Wrath of the Squich King - Sunday January 24th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fightersword

Good TOs are Capitalists
Super Moderator
NNID
Fightersword
hey guys, just so you're aware, since Ancho-V games is out, we WILL be running the map. However, because it's new we won't run it in huge amounts (maybe one or two times), and it won't be a swing game. But I do want teams to be able to adapt to a relatively new map, and I think spectators will appreciate seeing it.

Just a couple of days till the tournament. Looks like we might actually get a smaller number of teams this time, so expect a shorter time overall unless we get at least 11 signups before tourney time, in which case it will technically have the same number of rounds. unless my math is wrong but it's late so it damn well could be. either way, have a good one squids, and I'll see you sunday.

Fightersword

Good TOs are Capitalists
Super Moderator
NNID
Fightersword
Hey guys, one day left. This is a bit of a special announcement. Because of bad weather problems on the east coast, please check with your team and see if any of them are affected or going to be affected by the weather. If on the day of the tournament you need to make special roster changes (sub ins and outs) due to teammates not being able to get online due to the heavy weather knocking out their power or something, or it's otherwise badly affecting their ability to play online (heavy amount of D/Cs for example) let me know and I'll probably grant you an allowance even if it would break the sub b/w game rules or maximim number limit. But don't try to abuse this special privilege, and if you do this the person(s) who are affected by it can't be played after that point (it's assumed they won't be able to play if you're being honest). This is a special situation so don't expect such allowances in the future. And please don't abuse this privilege: I'm taking you on your word when you sub making use of this privilege. Stay safe during the weather everyone.

Fightersword

Good TOs are Capitalists
Super Moderator
NNID
Fightersword
ok guys, FS2 is the last team along. signups are now closed. check in will start in 45 minutes in the #roll-call section of the discord. See you all then.

SlimyQuagsire

Pro Squid
NNID
SlimyQuagsire
Signed up THE Prestigous Cyber Gang of FUTA Bullies. (Tag: TPCGoFB)
Discord rep will be Slimy.
EDIT: **** SIGN UPS CLOSED 31 MINUTES AGO

Fightersword

Good TOs are Capitalists
Super Moderator
NNID
Fightersword

Static

Inkling Cadet
NNID
kevinjamesfan65
I understand what you're saying. We understand that it sucks for people that can only play on sundays or who would rather play on sundays.

We originally chose Sunday because we planned on our tournaments being smaller. We started with a 16 team cap and kept it that way for a long time. Being a smaller tournament, we didn't want to conflict or compete with the major tournaments that were run on Saturdays that had up to 64 teams. We felt we would have no problems running on Sundays because of the small size, which meant that the tournaments would not run as long. SCL 1 took only two hours to complete.

However, we are now running tournaments with upwards of 40 teams. Tournaments are running much longer (shoutouts to SCL Holiday Special). Believe it or not, us TOs actually have lives. Most of us are students, which means we may have hours of homework to do on Sundays, as well as a social life (jk, I don't have a social life). We also may have other obligations on Sundays. For instance, my smash local is run on Sundays, and it's no fun missing that. Some of us have church. The SCL team recently discussed this, and found that Saturdays are more convenient and open for just about all of us.

We have been discussing moving to Saturdays for a while, but never took action on it. What convinced us to finally change was Leagues Under the Ink choosing a time that conflicted with us for their default match time. We talked with them and it became evident that there was no solution where we stayed on Sundays and both parties were happy with the outcome. So we decided to move forward on doing Saturdays.

There is some good news here though. In the past, we have been very conservative with our rules and format in order to keep our tournament at an appropriate runtime. Now, however, we have a more open time-slot and can work towards growing our tournaments. Could this mean the return of double elimination?

The biggest problem that we face is conflicting with other tournaments. Running on Sundays, we very rarely had to worry about other tournaments conflicting with us. But now that we're running on Saturdays we drastically increase the odds of happening on the same day as other tournaments. This is why we're announcing the change more than a month ahead of time. Starting with SCL 11 on February 13th, we will be running tournaments every other Saturday. We hope that running on a consistent schedule we will be able to avoid conflicts. Our dates can be predicted theoretically months ahead of time. We also will continue to have an open line of communication with other TOs so they know the situation.

Edit: I want to clarify that I hold no ill will towards Leagues Under the Ink. I wish them the best of luck and am excited to see how it turns out
Mmm if SCL is going to start taking a Saturday spot, I'd really like to see SCL become double elim. I think the reason single elim worked so well was due to is being on Sundays and acting as basically a 2nd "quick" tournament for the weekend. But if SCL is going to be taking up Saturday time slots I think for the community its best the format is changed to at least double elim to offer teams more games/sets to play on Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom