• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Scope or no?

Leaf [LS]

Full Squid
NNID
Leafstorm64
-Why you wouldn't want a scope-
The main reason people say to use the standard charger is because the scope limits your view and prevents you from seeing potential flanks,people slipping out of your scoped view,etc. Which is especially ironic when you consider chargers are supposed to be the "eyes" of the team.
-Why you would want a scope-
The first benefit shows on the stats of the weapons you now have a little more range which always helps. This benefit can make more of a difference with a splat charger over an e-liter mostly because of how much that little bit of range means on moray towers when dealing with other chargers specifically.
-My thoughts-
-Splatterscopes
The scopes are harder to use though for a vigilant and experienced charger it shouldn't be anything impossible to handle. With the splat chargers I would say to go with the scoped variant because that range is vital on maps like moray and will help when dealing with e-liters.
-E-liters
The scope is harder to use though because of how far the e-liter already reaches the scope just isn't needed. Yet the little extra range always helps so for this one I would say it's matter of preference.

Thanks for reading and if I missed anything let me know.

CM86

Pro Squid
Funny enough, while trying to learn a scope, I found the E-liter easier to use. This is because it zooms in much slower, so it got me used to scopes. Once I figured it out, the splatterscope became easier to learn as it was simply a step up in zoom in speed. Nowadays both are easy for me, but honestly, I couldn't use a splatterscope at first. That is just me though. Everyone is different.

This is just a small detail, but a reason to use a splat charger would be for the hero charger replica which looks really cool. :)

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
The only advantage I see with scopes is their slightly superior range, which is of course met with an accordingly slightly inferior mobility.

While range beats mobility for many people, the zoom-in is a big disadvantage that I do not see having any greater advantages opposing it. At a very high level of play, I really don't think the zoom-in will increase your chance of landing a good shot. Nobody's aim is 100% perfect, but there is a certain level where your aim becomes so good that the zoom-in is as good as no help at all. So with the higher input of skill, the advantage of the zoom-in decreases. What will never, or hardly decrease, however, is the disadvantage of the limited vision. It make you more open to sneak attacks, other chargers, makes combating behind obstacles a lot more difficult and, most importantly you will always have the larger risk of losing your target. This is so important because not having your target in constant sight requires more prediction work. Prediction work can be enhanced, but it can never be perfect, and it's something you want to avoid as good as possible. There is always an additional risk involved in prediction work after all.

Koi

Inkster Jr.
éternelle douleur, the land of eternal pain
NNID
Kaidan123
For both scopes and non-scope variants, you can do the same tricks. You can do a drag-shot and a snapping shot with both variants. More people actually use the non-scoped version of the e-liter, but more people use the scoped variant of the splat charger series. I've seen people use scoped splat chargers in high ranked play but I nearly never see a scoped e-liter, probably mainly due to the difficulty of using the weapon. For me, I use scopes for splat chargers and non-scoped for e liters because of the faster charging rate of the splat charger and the e-liter has enough length already. But if u ever do want to go aggro with a charger type weapon, I would highly suggest using a squiffer or a bamboozler. You can, however, still go aggro with the other chargers, but it's more difficult. When using a charger, u need really good muscle memory and know when to pull the trigger. With this weapon, it's possible to get multi kills with a single shot. Like a mentioned above, snapping your shots is a must for chargers, but a drag shot can be mastered later on. You don't need to learn drag-shots til you're in higher ranked play. Now if you don't know what a drag shot is, it's basically where you see you opponent or his/her ink and you quickly snap to your opponent and shoot him/her with direct aim. It's basically a much harder form of a snapping shot. But to do this actions, Gyro/Motion controls are REQUIRED. It's nearly impossible to perform a drag-shot without using cat-like reflexes by using Gyro controls. And so there's that. Oh, and if you;re against another charger, him/her before he/she splats you. Last tip: Don't play when your on tilt. It never works out.

extremechiton

Inkling
NNID
Extremechiton
I use scope cuz it's easier to aim, especially the e liter with its superior range. As for the slow charging, I'm fine with it. It's not too bad if your of range of practically everyone. I also use the e liter for its burst bombs which help me deal with sudden up close encounters, or to keep people at bay from mid range. Or if i hit them with an uncharged shot, I can toss a burst bomb to finish them off. (However the recent patch update nerfed burst bombs in terms of ink required to use them. I used to get 4 bombs off with a full tank and sub saver. But now I only get two.)

But my usual play style is to get one or two shots off and quickly move to another location as to prevent my location from being discovered and to deal with the problem that you have a limited field of view when charging.

Zahntavier

Senior Squid
Kelp Splatter Scope main here, a few thoughts:

I've fully incorporated the zooming effect into my shot-timing and aim. There's a flow and precision to it that I can't replicate with the non-scoped chargers.

The tunnel vision weakness can be mitigated by smart play and good map awareness.

The zooming totally helps with some tricky shots, between objects, through grates, just over the lip of a box, etc. It does make aiming down at severe angles more difficult, say from the perch down in moray towers.

HappyPie

Inkling
NNID
H4ppypie
I find it easier to use un scoped variants of all chargers, but I do believe that if I knew how to use scope, I'd be a better charger. I seem to hold in charger too long and get in the wrong position, which usually gets me killed. The added range usually isn't that big of a distance, usually not even noticeable in the heat of battle. One thing I do like for un scoped is the little grey marker that shows where the laser will go when aiming into the air, which makes it easy to hit jump shots, especially on moray.

All in all, it's hardly a difference and use what works for you. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Captain Woomy

Woomy Enthusiast
I used to use a scope for the extra range and because I thought my aim was bad (which is kind of is), but then realized the scope was actually making me do worse in battle. There's just so much you can't see when you have a scope... And trying to hide behind obstacles and snipe is just a nightmare for me. It's so much easier to do that without a scope since you can actually see what you're doing. I couldn't believe the differences between scopes no scopes. While I do notice that slight extra range for the scoped E-Liter, it's definitely not worth it in my opinion. (But judging by what you guys are saying, I guess it really does depend on the user... Some people are gonna be worse without a scope than with a scope and vise versa.)

AbsentPlayer

Full Squid
NNID
absentplayer
The only advantage I see with scopes is their slightly superior range, which is of course met with an accordingly slightly inferior mobility.

While range beats mobility for many people, the zoom-in is a big disadvantage that I do not see having any greater advantages opposing it. At a very high level of play, I really don't think the zoom-in will increase your chance of landing a good shot. Nobody's aim is 100% perfect, but there is a certain level where your aim becomes so good that the zoom-in is as good as no help at all. So with the higher input of skill, the advantage of the zoom-in decreases. What will never, or hardly decrease, however, is the disadvantage of the limited vision. It make you more open to sneak attacks, other chargers, makes combating behind obstacles a lot more difficult and, most importantly you will always have the larger risk of losing your target. This is so important because not having your target in constant sight requires more prediction work. Prediction work can be enhanced, but it can never be perfect, and it's something you want to avoid as good as possible. There is always an additional risk involved in prediction work after all.
While the limited vision can be a problem, it only becomes a problem if you charge and hold. I use the Scoped custom E-litre and even with the slow charge time, the tunnel vision makes no difference other than I find it easier to snap my snipes and the zoom of the scope helps with my timing of uncharged shots . And my final point is that with scoped chargers, picking of unscoped chargers is easy if you know you maximum range then out ranging and splatting unscoped chargers becomes, like I said, easy. Though it does come down to personal preference.

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
While the limited vision can be a problem, it only becomes a problem if you charge and hold. I use the Scoped custom E-litre and even with the slow charge time, the tunnel vision makes no difference other than I find it easier to snap my snipes and the zoom of the scope helps with my timing of uncharged shots . And my final point is that with scoped chargers, picking of unscoped chargers is easy if you know you maximum range then out ranging and splatting unscoped chargers becomes, like I said, easy. Though it does come down to personal preference.
It depends on the maneuvers, especially those involving working with obstacles to cover yourself. It's mostly impossible to keep your target in sight while covering yourself, and there is a lot less room to keep your aim away from the target (with no obstacles around to work with) while charging but still keeping the target in your sight. Of course that only involves the fully charged shots, though. I also used to use the scope version to have a better idea of when my not fully charged shot would kill, but that's an advantage that, with improving skill, stales to the point where it gets near useless. But if we're talking about regular sniping with no special maneuvers invovled, of course those disadvantages won't matter.
I can't fully agree with the last part though. The mobility and range differences are minimal, but still cancel each other out in a way. While the superior range can allow you to outrange the opponent in theory, if you take the time it takes to charge your shot into account, the non-scope E-Liter user can easily use the slightly superior mobility to equal the range on both sides again by approaching while charging, unless obstacles are involved and of course both targets are aware of each other as well as targeting each other.

AbsentPlayer

Full Squid
NNID
absentplayer
It depends on the maneuvers, especially those involving working with obstacles to cover yourself. It's mostly impossible to keep your target in sight while covering yourself, and there is a lot less room to keep your aim away from the target (with no obstacles around to work with) while charging but still keeping the target in your sight. Of course that only involves the fully charged shots, though. I also used to use the scope version to have a better idea of when my not fully charged shot would kill, but that's an advantage that, with improving skill, stales to the point where it gets near useless. But if we're talking about regular sniping with no special maneuvers invovled, of course those disadvantages won't matter.
I can't fully agree with the last part though. The mobility and range differences are minimal, but still cancel each other out in a way. While the superior range can allow you to outrange the opponent in theory, if you take the time it takes to charge your shot into account, the non-scope E-Liter user can easily use the slightly superior mobility to equal the range on both sides again by approaching while charging, unless obstacles are involved and of course both targets are aware of each other as well as targeting each other.
Yes, that may be true. But there are many circumstances in which bridging the gap between ranges is not possible. Take, for instance, walleye. There are two crates right before the zone. A non-scoped E-Litre is able to hit opponents on the front edge of crate while a scoped E-Litre can hit anyone anywhere on the crate. In a scoped vs a non-scoped situation the non-scoped will be forced to abandon their position on top of the crate because a scoped could easily just stand out of its range and spat it. It's like this in many maps and no amount of mobility can help you in these situation.

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
Try both and use whatever you feel more comfortable aiming and playing with. The scope generally allows better aim from afar, while the non scope allows you to make larger adjustments in aim and easier movement. However, the minor differences are largely negligible. Personally, I use non scoped chargers, simply because I find the zoom disorienting and it easier to move around without it.

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
Yes, that may be true. But there are many circumstances in which bridging the gap between ranges is not possible. Take, for instance, walleye. There are two crates right before the zone. A non-scoped E-Litre is able to hit opponents on the front edge of crate while a scoped E-Litre can hit anyone anywhere on the crate. In a scoped vs a non-scoped situation the non-scoped will be forced to abandon their position on top of the crate because a scoped could easily just stand out of its range and spat it. It's like this in many maps and no amount of mobility can help you in these situation.
That's what I meant with "obstacles being involved", but it's way too situational to really be a factor to be taken into greater consideration. We're talking about a minimal range difference that is so dependant on so many factors to actually make a difference. Same with using the slightly superior mobility for better odds of evading. Like I said before, range does beat mobility, but this minimal difference that depends on many factors to make a difference and is additionally opposed by a different minimal disadvantage is something I would definitely not put a ring on.

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
lol. I should have been more specific. Nothing to say sorry for.

Mystrite

Full Squid
NNID
toffee_too_too
With E-litres go scope , splat charger? Generally preference but scope is usually better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom