Secrets of S Ranked? (Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying About Splat Bombs and Ask for Help)

splooshlover

Inkster Jr.
TLDR: GIVE ME YER CASH (ER… SECRETS ON HOW YOU REACHED S)!

My Splatoon Story

Chapter 1: The Past

I played a lot of video games as a kid but have not played much the last 20 years (I have a pretty time-consuming job and three kids and a bunch of other hobbies). I got a WiiU for Xmas though and bought Splatoon as I wanted my 6 year old to have the same fond memories of childhood video games that I did. I quickly realized this was not a game for 6 year olds (though she does not average better than 500+ in Turf Wars with a couple splats, not bad for a kindergartner, despite very limited play).

I fell in love with this game from my first splat. It is a lot of fun and so much more strategic than it first appears. Like most new players, I just grabbed a roller and went nuts. I never played Ranked until I reached about Level 30 because I was having fun just mindlessly rolling around without regard to strategy, gear, or anything at all really. One day I decided to try Ranked. I was the guy running around with the Rainmaker with no idea what I was supposed to do with it. I got killed but it was a lot of fun.

I kept playing Ranked and moved up to the B’s despite limited understanding of strategy. I wore gear I thought looked fresh that had no effect on my abilities. For example, for a long time I wore the Rockenberg 18k aviators, black leather jacket, and black moto boots even though their main abilities basically did nothing for me. I spent lots of money on weapons/gear I have basically never used. I did not understand the maps and had basically no awareness of what other players were doing.

Chapter 2: The Present

One day when I was mired in B hell, I decided I wanted to get better. I read some stuff on here and other sites and started building a set that better fit my main weapon and play style. By this time, I had realized that my Carbon Deco Roller was not going to get me to S (though I know some people are disgustingly good with it). I started experimenting with weapons. My daughter had been using the Neo Sploosh because she liked how it looked. I thought it was ugly and useless. Then I played with it once.

I loved it. It fit the way I like to play as I like to be very aggressive. I got good with it over the course of a month. Good with the Sploosh is a relative term though. When I was on fire (3:1 splat ratio or better), my team always won. When I was mediocre or bad, we sometimes still won because I was just so annoying to the other team (and sometimes I got carried by others, of course) but we usually lost. I got to A- and was feeling good about my play. Then I hit a brick wall and could not climb further.

The problem was not exactly me, per se. I could take over a game if the conditions were right. Many times I grabbed the Rainmaker at the outset and took it to the house or rode the Tower all the way, splatting dudes in the face when they climbed aboard to take me out). However, I still wasn’t playing strategically. I was a kamikaze. My team probably did not like it very much when I would rush in without them and get sent back to the spawn point (which happened a lot). I came to a conclusion.

The problem with the Sploosh to me is that it is not a good team weapon in my opinion. If I am put with other short range shooters or brushes/rollers, we are either going to kill ‘em all and get a quick knockout or lose ugly. I can’t tell you how many times my team has ran the clock down to 5 or taken the Tower or Rainmaker to mere inches from the win only for us all to then get killed and unable to stop the other team after they get into strategic position. I decided I would try other weapons to see how I would fare.

I experimented with brushes/sloshers. I just do not like them. I did not give them the chance they probably deserved as I have seen many accomplished players with them. I just didn’t like the way they felt. I was terrible as a sniper/charger. Not only do I not want to put in the time to learn them right, they also do not fit the way I like to play. I tried all the other shooters and weird weapons. I had some success with the Splattershot Pro and Tentatek but just moved up and down in the Bs for about a month.

Chapter 3: The Future

Finally, last night I went back to the Sploosh. Amazingly, I won about 10 games in a row in Splat Zones (not exactly the Sploosh’s forte though I do think it is underrated in Tower and Rainmaker). I think playing with the other weapons helped me think more like players who use those weapons. The result was I was stealthy as a ninja. I finally felt like I knew where my opponents were or would likely be, and I also felt like I tempered my aggression enough to support my team and let them provide cover for me.

I was dominant, even putting up a 14:1, my best game ever. I climbed from B+ to 77 in A- before losing two games and hitting the hay. I finally have gear that suits my weapon and style (golf visor with run main, stitch tee with swim main, and blue boots with ink resistance – all with subs that help my style). I was very mobile and very deadly when I played smart. The couple games I lost were due to mismatches for the most part, though I did make a couple of bonehead aggressive plays costing us my last game of the night.

My question now is: can I take the Sploosh to the top?

I have seen a couple videos (yes, I am addicted) of people who are ridiculous with it, but it generally seems like a rare weapon in Ranked. Seems to me like I need better map/player awareness to take it to S Rank, but I also wonder whether I should keep playing with other weapons as I feel like that was the key in improving my Sploosh play. Is there a certain weapon that is excellent for forcing you to focus on the controller screen and tracking your team and opponents in order to improve your awareness?

Or should I just forget about the Sploosh and switch to a weapon more common in S and master it? I hate Dynamos as they kill me a lot. Should I invest time in Octo Valley to get it and become what I hate? I also would love to get better with bombs as I feel like I am always getting killed with them. Is there a good weapon for learning how to use bombs? Maybe the new Berry Pro? What gear should I be using? I’ve never tried some of the unique ones, like Tenacity and Coldblooded. Will they help me advance?

What say you Splatgods? How did you do it? Tell me your story!

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
I main the new squiffer and L-3 nozzlehose D, so I personally feel you should never give up on a weapon you love. I do feel however that one tool will not get you all the way to S-rank the weapons of Splatoon are situational and won't work as well in other modes or maps, in these cases you want to add other weapon to your arsenal, giving you more diverse ways to play the game
Although I main these 2 weapons I play many others as well, learning different weapons allow to know how those players play and will help you improve your overall game in the process

splooshlover

Inkster Jr.
Thank you for the tips. I do not have a ton of time to play so I sometimes feel like learning new weapons is a waste of time, but I have to admit it seems like the soundest strategy to get where I want to go. Thanks again!

SyMag

SOLDIER 1st Class
NNID
PKThunda
Going off of Saber's post, I want to add that you shouldn't get discouraged. From my experiences, B+/A- is the roughest rank for someone to be at. You leave the B ranks feeling like a god among men, then you start playing against other A players, some of whom have recently dropped out of the S ranks and are working their way back up. Their playstyle is faster than B players have experienced up to that point.
Now that sounds intimidating, but don't worry too much about it. Over the course of a couple weeks you'll start picking up on tactics used by these players. Start taking note of what weapons other players use during what mode and on which maps. Like Saber said, experiment with different weapons and find one like the Neo Sploosh that fits your playstyle. Always test said weapons in Turf War so you don't risk jeopardizing your ranking until you're comfortable with a certain weapon. Or if you're feeling confident, try weapons outside your comfort zone; I did that when I used to play Call of Duty, and yes I sucked at first, but you'll be surprised how fast you might pick some of them up. But most importantly in terms of weapons, don't just pick it up because it's good in certain situations; ultimately, pick one that you enjoy using and that you find fun to play with. Otherwise you'll just find yourself getting salty a lot and coming close to selling the game a couple times, like me.

I hope this helps you a little bit :D sorry for the wall of text lol

Last edited:

Hope

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Agrexis
Sure I'll give you some advice.

The problem with the Sploosh to me is that it is not a good team weapon in my opinion. If I am put with other short range shooters or brushes/rollers, we are either going to kill ‘em all and get a quick knockout or lose ugly. I can’t tell you how many times my team has ran the clock down to 5 or taken the Tower or Rainmaker to mere inches from the win only for us all to then get killed and unable to stop the other team after they get into strategic position. I decided I would try other weapons to see how I would fare.
This literally happens to everybody, it isn't really your weapon's fault. It is extremely hard to come back if they get good positioning after a full wipe no matter what weapon you are using. My advice to you would be to build up kraken ASAP after you get wiped so you can flank with it and disrupt / stall them as much as possible. This should give your team some breathing room as it forces them out of their dominant positions. And if you are winning then even better.

I experimented with brushes/sloshers. I just do not like them. I did not give them the chance they probably deserved as I have seen many accomplished players with them. I just didn’t like the way they felt. I was terrible as a sniper/charger. Not only do I not want to put in the time to learn them right, they also do not fit the way I like to play. I tried all the other shooters and weird weapons. I had some success with the Splattershot Pro and Tentatek but just moved up and down in the Bs for about a month.
That's fine, it's best that you use the weapon you like the most as you will have the most fun and motivation with it!

Finally, last night I went back to the Sploosh. Amazingly, I won about 10 games in a row in Splat Zones (not exactly the Sploosh’s forte though I do think it is underrated in Tower and Rainmaker). I think playing with the other weapons helped me think more like players who use those weapons. The result was I was stealthy as a ninja. I finally felt like I knew where my opponents were or would likely be, and I also felt like I tempered my aggression enough to support my team and let them provide cover for me.
That is definitely true, playing the other weapons lets you exploit their weaknesses a lot better. But it is more likely the case that you just positioned better. I notice you say you were stealthy like a ninja, well that's how sploosh should pretty much play all the time. Knowing your opponents positioning and abusing that on rollout is one of the easiest ways to climb ranked. ESPECIALLY with your run speed / swim speed build. Rolling out through a flank and putting pressure on the enemy team / killing them can win you zone games in one wipe.

My question now is: can I take the Sploosh to the top?
You pretty much said it yourself above. Play smart. When you roll out you should always take a path that leads you behind an enemy team, and you should know where people commonly roll out on each map so you can abuse it and get easy kills. This is one of the easiest ways to win ranked games. And as tempting as it is just to charge in, whenever you are forced out or die, you should ALWAYS go around the enemy team to attack from behind. Even go to places to wait for them to pass you, then come out when the time is right and splat them.

If you are actually forced out, you can sit back and spam point sensors, which is a way neo sploosh can help your team. Also if you just got wiped in say zones, don't go right back in or even flank. It is best to build up special and use it to regain map control (unless you are confident you can flank and do better). Force yourself to do this, don't stick to bad habits like charging back in, or mindlessly flanking. Be smart, if you flank look if any of them have died at the top of the screen so they don't catch you on the way from their spawn point to the objective. Always be looking at this when you flank. You can also abuse it to lie in wait for people respawning.

I have seen a couple videos (yes, I am addicted) of people who are ridiculous with it, but it generally seems like a rare weapon in Ranked. Seems to me like I need better map/player awareness to take it to S Rank, but I also wonder whether I should keep playing with other weapons as I feel like that was the key in improving my Sploosh play. Is there a certain weapon that is excellent for forcing you to focus on the controller screen and tracking your team and opponents in order to improve your awareness?
I'd say the best way to improve awareness is thinking through each and every decision you make. Before the match starts think about the enemy team composition, then plan out the best way to roll out. If it doesn't work keep fixing it game after game until it does. Tailor this to each map / mode combination. Also after each death think about why you died, and try your best to not die that way again. Although this is pretty hard to do, so it's probably best if you just keep track of 1 or 2 deaths and try not to die in those same ways haha. It's pretty hard to remember everything as you are playing.

Or should I just forget about the Sploosh and switch to a weapon more common in S and master it? I hate Dynamos as they kill me a lot. Should I invest time in Octo Valley to get it and become what I hate? I also would love to get better with bombs as I feel like I am always getting killed with them. Is there a good weapon for learning how to use bombs? Maybe the new Berry Pro? What gear should I be using? I’ve never tried some of the unique ones, like Tenacity and Coldblooded. Will they help me advance?
I'd say focus on sploosh, as it seems like it is the weapon that you have the most fun with. Play Dual Squelcher if you want practice with splat bombs, ttek if you want practice with suction bombs, and carbon / splattershot for burst bombs.

Cold blooded and ink resist are the best, with the rest of your sub / main abilities being walk speed and swim speed.

You can definitely get even S+99 with sploosh, it might be rough on some map / mode combinations, but I can guarentee that the vast majority of people that are S+ or even S+99 played only on map / mode combos that they were good on to get those ranks anyway

Oh also, as important I made kills sound the objective is really the thing that matters. Don't take needless risks if you already have control of the objective (like spawn camping if you have the zones in splat zones). Play to the objective by getting map control with kills, but once you have this map control just make sure to push the objective. Most of the time your team won't do it so make sure to do it yourself. (like if they are wiped hop on the tower, don't flank them 1000 miles away outside their spawn).

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
The Sploosh-O-Matic can definitely take you into the S rank and even into the S+ rank. There are players who are going to tell you that your weapon is "inferior" or too weak but that's not true. The truth is that every single weapon in Splatoon has the capability to reach the highest ranks and survive in the highest ranks. It's about skill level. There are some weapons that are very easy to use. Many of the most popular weapons are easier weapons to learn. Weapons with a higher learning curve are naturally going to be less common in the competitive scene. In reality, it is mostly a matter of skill and determination. You could drop the Sploosh for the Tentatek which is easier to use or you could stick to your guns and be determined to become skilled with the Sploosh.

I'm a brush main and a Custom Hydra main. I'm one of the very few S+ players who main the brushes and/or the Hydra. There aren't a lot of us running around the S/S+ ranks. I've had multiple tell me that the brushes and Splatlings were too weak to make it to S and would never reach S+ on their own.... I did just that. If I can reach S+ using my brushes and Splatlings... You can reach S with the Sploosh.

It's not so much about the weapon as it is the skill set. Each weapon has its own strengths and players need to play into those strengths. Unfortunately, I don't use the Sploosh so I can't really offer any solid advice. I can only offer general advice. The biggest piece of advice is to learn new tricks. There are various tricks that you will see a lot in the S rank but not in the lower ranks. Learning them can get you into the S rank and will help you survive once you're there. Always make sure to keep an eye on your surroundings. Flanking is a favorite in higher ranks. We know better than to do a direct attack so you'll be hit from the side a lot. Keeping an eye on your surroundings is important.

Eggroll

Inkster Jr.
NNID
200305jz
In splatoon, some weapons are harder to use than other weapons, for example competing tentatek and e-liter. True you can get to S or S+ with any weapon, but some weapons are easier to use in different modes. Blasters are broken in tower control because it hits in an area which is the tower, but in splat zones, high rof weapons can capture to the zone. Every weapon has strenghs and weakness, using the tentek as an example, it has good kill rate and rof. But it doesn't have range. That is its weakness. But it has inkzooka and suction bombs, which allows it to reach to distances of 96 gals or splattershot pro. In high level play, moving around the enemy without moving your crosshair. This makes it harder for them to hit you. To make it even better, stack run speed ups. Using run and swin speed can get you to the important positions faster. It also make it harder for them to hit you. In my POV, you should drop the spoosh unless you really know how to use it well. But, if you still like spoosh, but want to rank up, then use the splash o matic as it is very similar to spoosh but has suction bomb rush, which is really op. And the splash o matic can get suction bomb rush very quickly,vtherefore making it good. Most importantly for any weapon, is too not go for kills if you are chasing the enemy. This makes you to not do the objective. Which is not the point of ranked. For better improvement go to the testing range and practice there. You can do the same with single player. Holding your special is a good idea. If you launch your ink strike on your captured zone, the enemy can just capture it, therefore making it useless. That is all I have for now, hopefully you rank up. Peace

Coco24

Inkling
If you are able to easily splat others, then my advice to you is to keep the enemies occupied while the others go for the rainmaker/tower/zone. Always go through the not obvious routes and don't follow the rainmaker when you feel that no enemy is in front so that you can surprise them at another position. Keep your sploosh if you can use it well. I personally use a Luna Blaster or a Splattershot with this tactic and it definitely helps you rank :)

splooshlover

Inkster Jr.
Wow thank you for all the great tips! I know I appreciate them and others who stumble across this thread will benefit as well. I actually made it to A rank (finally) the other night by doing a lot of what you all have recommended. The biggest thing has been focusing on increasing my awareness. I look at the controller a lot more than just I used to and I try to keep mental tabs on where everyone is and how everyone likes to play. By being more aware of what my teammates are trying to do, I have become a better teammate. In some ways I have discovered that you have to give up personal glory for team results. I have only spiked the rainmaker once probably in my last 15 games, but we are obviously winning more than we are losing. I am focusing on clearing paths and taking out or at least slowing down the other team's best player instead of carrying the thing and dying 10 times. You guys are also all correct about learning the tactics of those you play with and using them to win. It may sound dumb, but I never used to hide on walls. Finally, enough people jumped out behind me and killed me that I decided to try it and I have become pretty good doing it. I am getting in less head-to-head trades and always trying to flank or get behind the other team and press the sploosh right up against the back of my opponent's head. Instead of riding the tower or trying to splat the zone, I am sneaking into their territory and splatting them while they do the things I used to do. I have a long road to go to S but these tips are great and thank you again for the help!

splooshlover

Inkster Jr.
Oh and I am sticking with the Neo Sploosh as I just feel it suits me best. Kraken is the best sub in my opinion for aggressive play and the new update has made point sensors much more valuable. I will prob go aerospray for the splatfests but otherwise going to go splooshing in ranked. I appreciate how you guys have ridden the weapons you love despite their rarity. I am impressed with anyone who masters a brush. I cannot figure those things out at all!

Loak

Inkling
NNID
POMF_Loak
One tip that i would give for improving your play is to play patiently. It's not always worth rushing in only to get splatted and leaving your team a man down at the beginning of the game. Focus on having a good foundation of ink so that your mobility is not hindered and so that you can stay hidden when necessary. When you get your special, make sure to use it at an opportune moment. I never rush in directly without it (I use CJS so Kraken is great both as an offensive tool to take out their team and as a defensive tool if I get flanked).

As someone who struggled to break into S rank for a while, I'm finding a lot more success when I optimize my attacks and establish a good position.

Eggroll

Inkster Jr.
NNID
200305jz
Just saying the kraken is not a sub, it is a special. Lol, besides that good job. I know what you feel after getting out of the b hole

Koi

Inkster Jr.
éternelle douleur, the land of eternal pain
NNID
Kaidan123
First tip I'll give you: Never be on tilt while in ranked. It never works out. Oh and sploosh isn't a bad weapon. I mean, look at SrB2DUDE, he's in the S ranks with that weapon. Point is, never underestimate any weapons. Each one has the potential to be really good or bad, depending how you use it. Now maining only one weapon isnt bad but u should be diverse when utilizing weapons. In some maps, a weapon has a huge advantage over the other (e.g. In Museum D'alfonsino, Chargers have an advantage because of the wide open area). Starting from the A ranks, you'll have to flank a lot more and start thinking outside of the box. In Rainmaker, try to make a pathway for your buddy whos carrying the rainmaker to pass by. Never go alone with the rainmaker, it's common sense after C rank. If you don't feel comfortable with a weapon, try a substitute and see how that works out for you. From what I can see, you're a shooter type. I recommend the splash-o-matic since right now it has gained a huge buff. Keep on using the splattershot pro too, it also got a buff. Condition your aiming. If you can't aim 90% accurate, no, 99% accurate every time when u go against a foe, that one extra missed shot is gonna cost yah. Thta's all i can say for now from personal experience. I probably said some stuff that was already said up there in the thread. Credits to anyone's tip I used in this thread. cya later, baus.

splooshlover

Inkster Jr.
so +9.5 tonight (so hawt) in splat zones with the sploosh and up to A+ for the first time ever (after making A yesterday for first time).

You guys should have charged me for these tips! seriously though, thanks!

so much of it should have been common sense but it really isn't. i feel like a ninja assassin thanks to you guys. i am still sort of a kamikaze but at least now i am a kamikaze with purpose. i kill a LOT and die a lot too but when i die I take at least one with me and one away from the zone momentarily.

i noticed after awhile (was lucky enough to have a consistent group of players for several matches) that the other team was just hellbent on killing me instead of completing the objective. i guess that is the best i can hope for.

Now on to A+... Wish me luck.

I pray you will not see a post in 2 hours where i am back to B and asking for tips on how to master the bamboozler because I have forsaken the sploosh :)

splooshlover

Inkster Jr.
First tip I'll give you: Never be on tilt while in ranked. It never works out. Oh and sploosh isn't a bad weapon. I mean, look at SrB2DUDE, he's in the S ranks with that weapon. Point is, never underestimate any weapons. Each one has the potential to be really good or bad, depending how you use it. Now maining only one weapon isnt bad but u should be diverse when utilizing weapons. In some maps, a weapon has a huge advantage over the other (e.g. In Museum D'alfonsino, Chargers have an advantage because of the wide open area). Starting from the A ranks, you'll have to flank a lot more and start thinking outside of the box. In Rainmaker, try to make a pathway for your buddy whos carrying the rainmaker to pass by. Never go alone with the rainmaker, it's common sense after C rank. If you don't feel comfortable with a weapon, try a substitute and see how that works out for you. From what I can see, you're a shooter type. I recommend the splash-o-matic since right now it has gained a huge buff. Keep on using the splattershot pro too, it also got a buff. Condition your aiming. If you can't aim 90% accurate, no, 99% accurate every time when u go against a foe, that one extra missed shot is gonna cost yah. Thta's all i can say for now from personal experience. I probably said some stuff that was already said up there in the thread. Credits to anyone's tip I used in this thread. cya later, baus.
I like the splash a lot, but the sploosh kills quicker and I do not think I can get away from an ultra aggressive style. Every game I get better at sneaking away from attacks that I should've not invited , and my hope is that eventually I can become more stealthy without having to slow myself down with the stealth Main. I felt like I saw a lot of players with that for a while and now I'm not seeing that I felt like I saw a lot of players with that for a while and now I'm not seeing them at night many.

Koi

Inkster Jr.
éternelle douleur, the land of eternal pain
NNID
Kaidan123
I like the splash a lot, but the sploosh kills quicker and I do not think I can get away from an ultra aggressive style. Every game I get better at sneaking away from attacks that I should've not invited , and my hope is that eventually I can become more stealthy without having to slow myself down with the stealth Main. I felt like I saw a lot of players with that for a while and now I'm not seeing that I felt like I saw a lot of players with that for a while and now I'm not seeing them at night many.
You can try Squid-trotting.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
Another tip for people who use kraken is to not burn special trying to catch someone, if you start running low either swim back to cover or super jump out of danger it's great to be able to take out a large group but the longer you stay in the game the more danger you put the other team in.

splooshlover

Inkster Jr.
Another tip for people who use kraken is to not burn special trying to catch someone, if you start running low either swim back to cover or super jump out of danger it's great to be able to take out a large group but the longer you stay in the game the more danger you put the other team in.
That is a great tip I need to remember. I usually retreat as it wears off but sometimes get greedy for that one last kill (and I end up being it). I have also started to use the Kraken more to simply push the other team back away from the tower/rainmaker/zone instead of chasing people and trying to get kills. I basically just go side to side pushing them all back and if someone happens to be in the way all the better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom