• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Sheldon Pick Weapon Analysis

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
So after the 2.7 patch and the release of the new weapons I decided to compile a analysis of the weapon and see how good they are in comparison to their original counterparts

Fresh squiffer: My god for a squiffer main this weapon is amazing, this weapon however plays a lot like the custom e-liter, charging up special is vital for close encounter since suction bomb though great are easy to spot and dodge when placed on the ground, however placing these in blind spots or to cover escape route make it a very good weapon when in a tight spot.

Berry splatter shot pro: This seems to be a good weapon with decent spacing ability and again bring in suction bombs and bomb rush making this a great weapon for coverage, but honestly the forge give you the ability to identify where your opponents are and the inkzooka making it still a better choice over the berry in my opinion

Bamboozler mk. III: Good god this weapon is great for high K/D ratios it can burst cancel and the larger hitbox for the burst bomb allows you to quickly punish people super jumping even as they move out of the way, this weapon also has ink strike to add pressure, however be cautious not to waste your sun or else you become an easy target
Again the other bamboozler are amazing (especially mark II) but this turn the bambozler from a support based tool to an attack based one

** Haven't gotten to play these weapons yet but this is based off what I've see in game

Tempered Dynamo Roller: I feel this isn't all that neccesary but this weapon give an inkling the range this weapon has never had, seeker followed up by a flick make this weapon hard to approach directly and killer wail can block off areas or scare charger off their perch. The gold dyamo has the better sub and the the vanilla has the amazing echolocator, but considering this weapon has more range than either I think it will be a good counter to chargers and long range weapons like the .96 gal.

Soda slosher: haven't tried this weapon but this combine two of my favorite tools for one devastating combo, this allows you to preform trickshots, and other cool bomb trick I loved as a splat charger with the distance and trolling nature of the inkzooka, on top of that it brings back the slosher and although the deco is a great supressor and still a better pick for some this set is a cool choice that can be a close second (RIP Vanilla)

Wasabi splattershot: (WHY? WE DID EVEN NEED THIS!?! ) this is a splattershot, which is of course a great weapon and one I prefer not to use with the splattershot pro rollout only better, this set fits well with again one of my favorite sub and the pressuring tool in the form of the inkstrike this honestly just fits with the pressuring and attack style of the spaltershot, but again it's just feel like overkill having another one of these out there in the meta

Permanent Inkbrush: Finally and inkbrush that can stand against and octobrush, this weapon has the splat bombs making it versatile in small areas where it can't take advantage of it's speed which again has so many tricks you can use with it, and not only that but it has a kraken, that turn this from a flanking tool to an absolute nightmare of a weapon to tear apart enemy teams from inside their own base

Refurbished mini splatling: honestly this should have been the vanilla, burst bombs can be a life saver if you don't fully charge your shots which honestly has been a requirement for these tools from the beginning and on top of that it comes with burst bomb rush which can be very useful in a push, again though this weapon is out shined by the zink varient, but this weapons can serve as a decent all around weapon liter the vailla splattershot and I feel will have quite the presence in the competitive scene

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
If anyone has more experience with these new weapon please add any advice in the comments below

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
Personally, I don't really like the Inkstrike very much. I'm really only likely to use it during Splat Zones and even then, it's not the first choice I would ever make for a serious competitive match. x) So I think the Gold Dynamo has the worst special overall of the line. The regular Dynamo still has the best with Echolocator but the Killer Wail definitely helps benefit the Tempered a lot - especially during Tower Control and Rainmaker. The Tempered Dynamo's kit was practically made for Rainmaker and since my best mode is Rainmaker, I'm totally cool with this. :P

The one thing that the Tempered has over the regular and Gold is that it can travel much faster on its own. The Seekers allow for very quickly travel - especially on flatter maps - that the other two Dynamos would be reliant upon their teammates for. It makes it easier for the Tempered to push an early assault because you can travel across the maps so quickly with the new Seekers. I've mostly been using the Seekers for faster travel and it's helped out both a lot in Regular and Ranked battles. The Killer Wail is definitely good for chasing away enemies and giving your team even a small opening. Even with the range, the Dynamo isn't going to be able to reach everything and that's when the Killer Wail comes in handy. It's also great at clearing the tower and popping the Rainmaker's bubble in a very quick manner even if you're trying to do it alone.

The Permanent Inkbrush really gives a lot of potential towards the Inkbrush. I can imagine that people will try to be Kraken mains with it but I don't think that'll become very common. They still have to survive long enough to get the Kraken and that can be hard if you don't know how to utilize the Inkbrush in a very good manner. I've been using the Permanent Inkbrush a lot since it was released and it's quickly becoming one of my favorite weapons. It might even become a preferred brush over the Octobrush Nouveau for me.

Eclipsc70

Pro Squid
NNID
EJ_Matthews
I've only really played with the Perma Brush so I'll give my 3 cents on it. Having used both the previous ink brush variants extensively and even dabbled with the octobrushes, I must say this brush is definitely a funky one. The one thing the ink brush was missing was a range option, and we finally have it in the form of splat bombs. Unfortunately the brush it's self is still fairly weak however it can gain special quickly making it so that you almost always have a kraken ready which is saying alot for a special that requires 220p. This brush in the right hands will be terrifying; I tend to go 12+ and 3-7 on my own k/d respectively. I can't wait till I have more time with it in the lab so I can fully understand the tricks I can do with it.

I feel like it's strength really lies in the splat bombs and their roll physics. I've caught people so many times with a properly placed bomb. My personal build that I'm currently working on organizing is focused on ink saver sub. I try to run enough to allow me to throw two bombs on a full tank. This allows me to use the splat bombs a a pseudo main similar to how people use burst bombs but of course mot to that extremity. Being abe to throw a bomb far being an enemy then roll one right in his face is too funny considering they have almost nO options at that point. (Nvm the next part, just me gushing about actually having range now) yesterday on museum and triggerfish I actually zoned a couple of SSPs out of my teams area by spamming the splat bombs. Literally the best feeling in the world for an ink brush is knowing they can zone one of the longest ranged, non charger weapons in the game. Knowing whether to throw one or two bombs at a time, knowing how to roll the bombs, angle them and bounce them off of surfaces is definitely key to my style as is knowing when you can get a kill with the brush itself. oh yeah, krakens there too.. use it to kill squids or as a panic button.

DualSquelched

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Nilithium
As a Forge Pro main, the Berry Splattershot Pro solves the one problem that the other Pro weapons suffer at. With a Suction Bomb Rush, it CAN places ink everywhere, something that even the Inkstrike can't really do. The problem with the other two Pro weapons is that if your teammates don't ink the ground for you, there's not much you can do than sit there and get shot, since turning around and inking a trail will get you killed. While hunting and killing the enemy is important, the Berry Pro stands out because it now has a method of reliable ink coverage, a critical flaw to other Pros in Ranked to give your team breathing room. It's Suction Bombs are actually really good with the Pro; despite their heavy ink usage, Bomb Range allows you to throw them just the right distance to stick bombs to towers and over obstacles.

Last edited:

EP2274

Inkster Jr.
I've used the Squiffer before, but the original two variants of it were simply too campy to let you roam around with the squiffer.
The Fresh Squiffer is probably one of my favorite add ons to the game.
Pros:
- The Suction bombs do help you pressure people into the close range splats the squiffer is known for.
- The Kraken is a really good escape tool.
- It's probably best used in ranked Tower or Rainmaker, as it's inking potential is a little. This makes it a ranked centered variant of the weapon.
Cons:
- Suction bombs are great for pressuring, but using all that ink might get you Splatted against a good dodger.
- The Kraken is a good Special that can one shot and make you invincible, but when you're done with it, you're completely vulnerable to anyone who's in their range of you as you can't charge the weapon in time.
- Like all Squiffers, getting close range shots is sometimes really difficult in certain areas, and opponents can easily overpower you.
Even with all these good subs and specials, it still makes it hard to play the Squiffer without and ink saver or booster.

Cake or Death

Full Squid
NNID
McProle
I've not actually had chance to try any of the new weapons out just yet but one that really intrigues me is the Permanent Inkbrush.

I main Squelchers but wouldn't mind switching it up and try my hand at brushes, as I enjoy their aesthetic and feel they're slightly overlooked by the meta; people generally preferring rollers. I've always used the Octobrush and Octobrush Nuveau so the Permanent Inkbrush having the same kit as the vanilla Octobrush, but with added speed and mobility, is pretty cool. I've always regarded the Octobrush as a 'sneaky' weapon, so having that kit on a weapon that plays better in that style just works.

The Permanent Inkbrush might find its way PERMANENTLY into my arsenal as I drop using the vanilla Octobrush for it.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
I've gotten to try all the new weapon and I have to admit I enjoy the long range ability of the tempered dynamo it is honestly a fun weapon to play as and easy to pick up, and I love the style of the refurbished mini splatling it require lots of strafing and getting close but if you play it right it is a amazing weapon to use and burst bomb canceling provide a quick splat if they dodge and try to get out of the way

Anyway about squiffers I am posting a thread later today on how to use the squiffer and it's variants and what works best for these tools

EP2274

Inkster Jr.
I've not actually had chance to try any of the new weapons out just yet but one that really intrigues me is the Permanent Inkbrush.

I main Squelchers but wouldn't mind switching it up and try my hand at brushes, as I enjoy their aesthetic and feel they're slightly overlooked by the meta; people generally preferring rollers. I've always used the Octobrush and Octobrush Nuveau so the Permanent Inkbrush having the same kit as the vanilla Octobrush, but with added speed and mobility, is pretty cool. I've always regarded the Octobrush as a 'sneaky' weapon, so having that kit on a weapon that plays better in that style just works.

The Permanent Inkbrush might find its way PERMANENTLY into my arsenal as I drop using the vanilla Octobrush for it.
I've started using the Octobrush and Inkbrush about 2 months ago, and I would say that you shouldn't drop any of the weapons for another one.
The Permanent Inkbrush is really good, but it deals less damage and can lead to more trades than splats. Don't drop the longer range and higher damage for a weapon that isn't always reliable.
Using different variants should be based upon the mode and uses, and not upon overall stats though.
Just some thoughts!

Flamelord054

Inkster Jr.
As a splattershot main here I have to say, the kit for the Wasbi splatershot is just not a good set up. The splattershot benefits from being a balanced weapon with the normal being more offensive and the tentatec being more defensive, and at first it seems that the Wasbi will fall in the middle of these two categories, but instead we are stuck with splatbombs, which arn't as good as burstbombs for attacking and are worse than the suctionbombs for keeping enemies away so they are meh on this weapon, second the special, and oh god why did anyone think this is a good idea? The splatershot can cover turf very fast and does not need anything to help it with that so giving it an inkstrike does nothing, it would have been better to pair this with any other special in the game all it does is add another aproch option to a weapon that doesn't need it.

EP2274

Inkster Jr.
but instead we are stuck with splatbombs, which arn't as good as burstbombs for attacking and are worse than the suctionbombs for keeping enemies away so they are meh on this weapon,
I kinda disagree on this, the Splatbombs can be bad, but the ranging by throwing the bomb on the ground to activate the charge faster is worth the trade off. It may not have the instant reactions of the Burst Bombs, but the Splatbombs are to be used as a ranging tool and not just a offensive.
The splatershot can cover turf very fast and does not need anything to help it with that so giving it an inkstrike does nothing,
I also believe that even though the Inkstrike's main use is to ink things, it can also be used as a ranging tool, or even to accomplish certain objectives such as shielding the rainmaker or pushing people off the tower.
I just think that we need to take all the things you can do with a weapon and list them, before the flaws that it has.

Inyo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SurfGreenGibby
I like the Wasabi a lot. Splat Bombs are really versatile and the Inkstrike is pretty nice for area denial if you drop it in the right spots, i.e., chokepoints and sniper perches. Plus it charges up really fast. And really, who needs a special when you can just murderize everything with the Wasabi's insane TTK and movement?

Soda Slosher is amazing. Might be my fave bucket now ahead of the Tri. With how Sloshers work now, you can overwhelm all who oppose you with a rain of ink or run away and drop a bomb behind you to keep them off yer back.

Lucas

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Armanderp
As a splattershot main here I have to say, the kit for the Wasbi splatershot is just not a good set up. The splattershot benefits from being a balanced weapon with the normal being more offensive and the tentatec being more defensive, and at first it seems that the Wasbi will fall in the middle of these two categories, but instead we are stuck with splatbombs, which arn't as good as burstbombs for attacking and are worse than the suctionbombs for keeping enemies away so they are meh on this weapon, second the special, and oh god why did anyone think this is a good idea? The splatershot can cover turf very fast and does not need anything to help it with that so giving it an inkstrike does nothing, it would have been better to pair this with any other special in the game all it does is add another aproch option to a weapon that doesn't need it.
I do agree on the Inkstrike being a bad special for the Wasabi, but I feel like Splat Bombs are a good choice since they detonate quicker. I've been getting so many more bomb kills when using the Wasabi because since the Splattershot is already a fast weapon, having Splat Bombs with it just makes it a deadly combo. Just my opinion, though.
As for the special, Inkstrike is really useless for this weapon. As you said, the Splattershot covers turf quick already so this isn't needed. Kraken would of been cool for this weapon since the Splattershot is kinda like an agro weapon, but it would be way too overpowered probably.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
I've only really played with the Perma Brush so I'll give my 3 cents on it. Having used both the previous ink brush variants extensively and even dabbled with the octobrushes, I must say this brush is definitely a funky one. The one thing the ink brush was missing was a range option, and we finally have it in the form of splat bombs. Unfortunately the brush it's self is still fairly weak however it can gain special quickly making it so that you almost always have a kraken ready which is saying alot for a special that requires 220p. This brush in the right hands will be terrifying; I tend to go 12+ and 3-7 on my own k/d respectively. I can't wait till I have more time with it in the lab so I can fully understand the tricks I can do with it.

I feel like it's strength really lies in the splat bombs and their roll physics. I've caught people so many times with a properly placed bomb. My personal build that I'm currently working on organizing is focused on ink saver sub. I try to run enough to allow me to throw two bombs on a full tank. This allows me to use the splat bombs a a pseudo main similar to how people use burst bombs but of course mot to that extremity. Being abe to throw a bomb far being an enemy then roll one right in his face is too funny considering they have almost nO options at that point. (Nvm the next part, just me gushing about actually having range now) yesterday on museum and triggerfish I actually zoned a couple of SSPs out of my teams area by spamming the splat bombs. Literally the best feeling in the world for an ink brush is knowing they can zone one of the longest ranged, non charger weapons in the game. Knowing whether to throw one or two bombs at a time, knowing how to roll the bombs, angle them and bounce them off of surfaces is definitely key to my style as is knowing when you can get a kill with the brush itself. oh yeah, krakens there too.. use it to kill squids or as a panic button.
Ha nice I've been using the same Ink Saver Sub for two Splat Bombs strat on the Soda Slosher with similarly great effects! Really I'm just glad Ink Saver Sub has uses now, as between this and the Burst Bomb nerf I've started seeing people using it more often.

Eclipsc70

Pro Squid
NNID
EJ_Matthews
Yeah I was never truly a fan of sub saver but affter that buff, my gosh is it amazing. Being able to use splat bombs as a pseudo main is awesome. I kinda wish it was possible to be able to throw 3 out haha.

MeTaGross

Inkling Cadet
Holy crap, this update is even better than I thought! Not only do we get these weapons that should be amazing, there were changes to other weapons and stuff!

I have not played yet, hopefully during the weekend, but I can say that trying to main every weapon, the fresh squiffer is going to be great. After using the rapid blaster the berry pro will be great at turf war, I think the refurb mini is going to be great as well, as only one other weapon has burst rush. No matter what, the meta will change a lot and almost all of these will find their own niche for their unique style.

TheReflexWonder

Inkster Jr.
NNID
TheReflexWonder
"Underused weapon type? Slap a Kraken onto it!" "Incredible weapon/sub combo? Put an Inkstrike on it!"

I'm really digging these weapons. Fresh Squiffer doesn't crap its pants whenever someone gets near/past his max range, Permanent Inkbrush has equipment to actually play offensively, Wasabi Splattershot maximizes the advantage of mobile gear builds, Bamboozler MkIII covers ground better and gets splats more easily...It really opens up new possibilities for a number of otherwise-niche options before the patch.

The only weapon that leaves me scratching my head is the Refurbished Mini Splatling. It has -slightly- better range and accuracy than a Splattershot in exchange for a lot less flexibility in movement/charging/ink coverage. Burst Bombs seem alright for finishing the job, but Bomb Rush really asks for comparisons to the Splattershot, which I don't think is a battle it actually wants to have.

EP2274

Inkster Jr.
I feel like the Refurbished Mini Splatling is more of a camping weapon than more of an aggressive one. The burst bomb combo really makes it feel like the lack of range is substituted with an instant action bomb so that you don't have to approach the enemy, they have to approach you.
Although, it doesn't mean that this weapon can't be aggressive... The Burst bomb rush, in my opinion, is a great spacing tool for your team.
Get your whole team together and push towards the enemy side of the map. By using the bomb rush, you can easily keep opponents away with the instant explosions.

If I had to classify this weapon into a category, I would put it into a support category, along with the rest of the Mini Splatlings. -.-

ParanoidDrone

Full Squid
NNID
ParanoidDrone
I've only done a single Turf War match with each new weapon, but for once I was glad of the game's tendency to give you the same map several times in a row. Made it easier to compare everything.

I still suck with anything in the charger family. The Fresh Squiffer and Bamboozler Mk. III were disasters. At least I got 500p inked with both, small mercies. These were both done on Mahi-Mahi, everything else was on Walleye.

The Permanent Inkbrush was surprisingly fun considering I don't normally do well with short-range weapons. There was a fun moment where an enemy charger had me in his sights and I used the brush to zip all over the place to dodge his shots on my way to safety. I struggled with it in the first minute or so before I remembered I had Splat Bombs, and using them to flush enemies out worked like a charm. Bomb Range Up helped, I think.

Wasabi Splattershot was dead simple to use. I have less than 10k inked combined between the regular and Tentatek Splattershots, so needless to say I don't use either that often, but the Wasabi reminded me of the Jr. a bit. Easy to use main gun + Splat Bombs as a typical grenade-type sub. I found myself quite at home.

I had the most P inked with Refurbished Mini Splatling, which probably isn't that surprising. Stacked a bunch of Rockenberg gear for the Run Speed Up, plus a Bomb Range Up for good measure. (Black Inky Rider is love.) There was a charger on the upper right grate in Walleye, next to the large crate, and I used Bomb Rush to spam the hell out of him for the kill. Still not terribly fond of Burst Bombs (they're mind-numbingly boring, although still effective) but that's my only complaint.

The Berry Splattershot Pro is probably the one I was most excited to try out, but I forgot just how awful it is at spreading ink. Suction Bombs and Bomb Rush help make up for it, but infinite special isn't a thing. (Thank god.) The range + power is still a lovely combination though and I look forward to exploring all 3 variants more in the future now that it got a range and shot velocity buff.

For the Tempered Dynamo I got a bit proactive and stacked Swim Speed Up before even joining a lobby, and that worked pretty well. I'm still not that great with Dynamos in general, but I did respectably. The wider ink trail on Seekers is surprisingly noticeable; I didn't expect it to make much of a difference but it did. Highlight: Surprised a charger point-blank from the side.

The Soda Slosher got me my best K/D and I was even able to spawncamp the enemy a bit during the last 10 seconds or so. I'm still bad at aiming the Inkzooka, but I got a double kill with one shot so...progress.

Albatross

Senior Squid
NNID
Zacrowski
Been maining bamboozler for months. MK III is really really good and will probably be the best Bamboo option in 85% of situations.

For one you can camp walls now, so the weapon is suddenly viable on Moray. You can reposition easily which is great. And burst bombs fill the role of Disruptor if you throw it then shoot them. Looking at a highly versatile weapon right here. Probably a Top 10 weapon.

As of right now I can't think of a map/mode where it can't perform well. As much as I loved Bamboo before I couldn't even say that. Moray, Urchin, and Ancho-V were all rough on it. Mahi SZ was also rough. But I feel MK III will handle just fine on these maps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom