• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

"Shooting for the stars" - levels updated in Splatoon 2

volty-L

Inkling
The November update has brought information surrounding the in-game player level, and it's pretty big.
  • The new level cap will be raised from 50 to 99.
  • Upon reaching Lv 99, players can talk to Judd and have their levels reset to 1... but have a star added to the level, with you going from Lv 99 to Lv ✰1, and presumably having another level-ladder of ✰1 through ✰99.
This nearly quadruples the number of levels a player can achieve. Given that Splatoon 2 has experience raising items, people were able to reach level 50 much more quickly. You could also claim that the lack of post-20 level system that Splatoon 1 had makes it easier to level faster, but I myself have heard no definite consensus on that.

The questions are now about how this will work in detail.
Will the post-20 system return? Will ✰1 continue up the experience curve from lv 99? There's a lot to speculate about for a little while.

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
No, because now there's ALWAYS gonna be some jerk on youtube who brags about how high his level is. I hate that stuff
What's keeping people from bragging about their S+50(or higher) rank, what's keeping people from bragging reaching top five in league? With that in mind, what's so different about a higher level cap? To be honest, I'm glad they raised the levelcap! I'm this close to level 50 and I've been already dreading the day this'd happen because I have amassed so many EXP tickets that'd end up being useless by then - well that and, I honestly hate reaching max level so soon, just from a psychological standpoint it makes me feel like I hit a wall and there's nothing beyond that. Kudos to finding a way to keep us leveling this time around, Ninty.

volty-L

Inkling
What's keeping people from bragging about their S+50(or higher) rank, what's keeping people from bragging reaching top five in league? With that in mind, what's so different about a higher level cap? To be honest, I'm glad they raised the levelcap! I'm this close to level 50 and I've been already dreading the day this'd happen because I have amassed so many EXP tickets that'd end up being useless by then - well that and, I honestly hate reaching max level so soon, just from a psychological standpoint it makes me feel like I hit a wall and there's nothing beyond that. Kudos to finding a way to keep us leveling this time around, Ninty.
The thing I like about this too is that it should muuuch easier to distinguish players' playtimes, and implicitly experience level. It also ups aspiration, which would contribute to more people playing the game.

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
So, you don't find people bragging and treating other people like trash annoying?
Never said I don't find them annoying (though I'm indifferent towards bragging alone), I just said that people will always find a reason to brag and coincidentally, trash others in return. For their rank? ("Lolwhut you're not S+ yet? Git gud") For their league powers? ("Anyone below 2k is a scrub lol") Heck, for their main weapons? ("How dare you only use the vanilla Splattershot you n00b", "How dare you use the Tri-Slosher/Blaster, you can't aim lel")

As long as communities will sprout around multiplayer videogames and it has competitive elements in it, there's always gonna be those people among the chill ones. Splatoon just happens to be one of the more chillaxed communities out there, but with or without a raised level cap, if people want to be jerks, they'll make up all kinds of reasons. Putting the blame on the level cap alone won't solve the underlying squissue, that being the human factor.

Mr. Squiggly Squid

Inkling Commander
Never said I don't find them annoying (though I'm indifferent towards bragging alone), I just said that people will always find a reason to brag and coincidentally, trash others in return. For their rank? ("Lolwhut you're not S+ yet? Git gud") For their league powers? ("Anyone below 2k is a scrub lol") Heck, for their main weapons? ("How dare you only use the vanilla Splattershot you n00b", "How dare you use the Tri-Slosher/Blaster, you can't aim lel")

As long as communities will sprout around multiplayer videogames and it has competitive elements in it, there's always gonna be those people among the chill ones. Splatoon just happens to be one of the more chillaxed communities out there, but with or without a raised level cap, if people want to be jerks, they'll make up all kinds of reasons. Putting the blame on the level cap alone won't solve the underlying squissue, that being the human factor.
Whatevs, the new leveling system isn't bad, but I don't like how it's just the same thing as the one in Overwatch. I guess we don't have many other options though.

Woomyapple

Full Squid
NNID
Apple
Switch Friend Code
SW-2793-7212-9515
This is definitely going to keep squiddos playing Splatoon 2 but I'm worried about how matchmaking will work. Will squids in star levels be in the same lobbies as squids who haven't even gotten to level 99? Or will there be lobbies just for squids in star levels?

Sifu

Look Behind You
Switch Friend Code
SW-3816-1808-3393
This is definitely going to keep squiddos playing Splatoon 2 but I'm worried about how matchmaking will work. Will squids in star levels be in the same lobbies as squids who haven't even gotten to level 99? Or will there be lobbies just for squids in star levels?
No, the lobbies have never been split specifically by level, there’s no reason to start now. They actually do sort squids by skill (believe it or not), so there’s little reason to add an arbitrary division line, especially when it’s at a place many squids might never reach

Woomyapple

Full Squid
NNID
Apple
Switch Friend Code
SW-2793-7212-9515
No, the lobbies have never been split specifically by level, there’s no reason to start now. They actually do sort squids by skill (believe it or not), so there’s little reason to add an arbitrary division line, especially when it’s at a place many squids might never reach
You're entirely right, but I can't help but feel that there should be some sort of divide. How exactly do they determine by skill anyway? By win/loss rate?

Sifu

Look Behind You
Switch Friend Code
SW-3816-1808-3393
You're entirely right, but I can't help but feel that there should be some sort of divide. How exactly do they determine by skill anyway? By win/loss rate?
In S1 (And it seems similar in S2), it was confirmed that they would take various variables in account - Win/Loss, # of kills, # of deaths, turf inked, maybe a few others. So if you were a killing machine, you could bet on having to face a killing machine, if you could ink really good, then you’d face that on the other team. There’s plenty to consider, and they actually do a decent job considering all that (though some people wrongly insist otherwise), given my lots of experience in solo queue

Woomyapple

Full Squid
NNID
Apple
Switch Friend Code
SW-2793-7212-9515
In S1 (And it seems similar in S2), it was confirmed that they would take various variables in account - Win/Loss, # of kills, # of deaths, turf inked, maybe a few others. So if you were a killing machine, you could bet on having to face a killing machine, if you could ink really good, then you’d face that on the other team. There’s plenty to consider, and they actually do a decent job considering all that (though some people wrongly insist otherwise), given my lots of experience in solo queue
If those were the factors being used in 2, (and might be used after the update), then it seems that I was just worrying about nothing. They might find some way to update matchmaking still, maybe they'll just add another factor into the mix.

Mr. Squiggly Squid

Inkling Commander
I fail to see the issue with the change. It changes absolutely nothing relevant when it comes to the gameplay of the game.
Exactly, but in case you just read that post I wrote and ignored all the other ones I made, I don't have a problem withe the new leveling system. I just don't like how it's EXACTLY the same as the system in Overwatch.

Last edited:

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
Exactly, but in case you just read that post I wrote and ignored all the other ones I made, I don't have a problem withe the new leveling system. I just don't like how it's EXACTLY the same as the system in Overwatch.
Except that it kinda isn't....yet. Overwatch has like 1k+ levels with all kinds of portraits you're rotating through, the stars being added symbols is just a coincidence (or well, because #army and all that jazz). You can't just tell Overwatch to stop resetting your level. You keep levelling indefinitely until you reach like gold portrait and everyone will laugh at you if you don't place in GM rank, har~

Here's what Splatoon does by comparison: When you reach 99, it is optional for you to reset your level. You get a star then. Cool, huh. But here's the catch: you don't get more stars or any prestige symbols beyond that from resetting it over and over again. The only way to track your "level" beyond "Star 99" is by how often you resetted your level back to 1 in the Splatnet App. e_e So you kinda have progress but don't. It's nice to have that bar going but there really ain't much to compare it by. This is what I found out by digging around Squid Research Lab posts. Source: Live from Squid Research Lab (some Tumblr Jazz)

Mr. Squiggly Squid

Inkling Commander
When you reach 99, it is optional for you to reset your level. You get a star then. Cool, huh. But here's the catch: you don't get more stars or any prestige symbols beyond that from resetting it over and over again. The only way to track your "level" beyond "Star 99" is by how often you resetted your level back to 1 in the Splatnet App.
Well, I didn't know that! That definitely changes things.

andresordz

Inkling
NNID
andyordaz
Switch Friend Code
SW-5185-4898-9099
Has somebody reached star 1 or more? I'm courious about if Judd still gives you super sea snails starting at star 30 or if it changes from star 1

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom