Should I be using motion controls?

NNID
Yungkawaiiqueen
I've noticed a really large number of players using motion controls. I've tried using them a couple of times but I find them really confusing and uncomfortable. I'm not sure if it's because I haven't had much practice with them (I honestly turned them off the second I started playing the game when I first got it and have only tried them a handful of times since) or if I'm just not capable of understanding that kind of hand-eye coordination. However, I find that I don't have the ability to aim as well or as quickly as some other players and I don't know if this is purely based off of skill or if motion controls give you a greater ability to aim precisely and quickly.
So basically, what I'm asking is, should I put more effort into figuring out the motion controls, or should I stick with what I'm used to? Would understanding the motion controls benefit me at all?

redacteddd

Banned (6 points)
It takes time bro. I would say you should if you're using something requiring good aim.

But don't take my word for it, Squidkids made a great video detailing both controls schemes, use it to develop your own.

NNID
Yungkawaiiqueen
That was a good video thanks! I'll definitely keep practicing with them for a little while and see if I can improve a little bit~

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
I used to play sticks, I never once thought I'd ever go back to motion controls. Until I tried once, it was weird at first but I chose not to just turn it off and go back. I've gotta admit, it was probably the best decision I've made in Splatoon so far. It takes a steady hand which gets a little annoying at first, but after working on it all, it definitely pays off.

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
There's quite the learning curve for it if you new to gyroscopic controls. With that said, there's no way to get the precision aiming with analog sticks. The good news is, you pick up on it pretty quickly. Some advice I found (I think it was on this site actually) helpful is to only use motion controls to look up and down at first, and pan with R stick. When you get comfortable doing that, use R-stick to put the target in your FoV, and start using motion controls to aim a little to the left and right.

NNID
Yungkawaiiqueen
I used to play sticks, I never once thought I'd ever go back to motion controls. Until I tried once, it was weird at first but I chose not to just turn it off and go back. I've gotta admit, it was probably the best decision I've made in Splatoon so far. It takes a steady hand which gets a little annoying at first, but after working on it all, it definitely pays off.
As someone with a VERY unsteady hand, this might take a while haha

There's quite the learning curve for it if you new to gyroscopic controls. With that said, there's no way to get the precision aiming with analog sticks. The good news is, you pick up on it pretty quickly. Some advice I found (I think it was on this site actually) helpful is to only use motion controls to look up and down at first, and pan with R stick. When you get comfortable doing that, use R-stick to put the target in your FoV, and start using motion controls to aim a little to the left and right.
Thanks for that advice, that actually sounds really helpful! The only other experience with these kind of controls that I've had before was on Ocarina of Time on the 3DS with the bow and arrow, which I actually found to be pretty nice. I think I having a really hard time adjusting the sensitivity. Even -3 is too sensitive for me

Last edited by a moderator:

cwjakesteel

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
cwjakesteel
Honestly, whatever suits you. I use analogue and I don't feel at a disadvantage at all. Really the only draw back to analogue is not being able to make pinpoint 180 degree turns, or effectively cover 2 different positions in quick succession. From my experience, you have to play your entire game differently when using analogue to not make the drawbacks actually impact you, which is what I do. Using the analogue sticks require more preparation when entering into combat, and also a less aggressive style. Splatoon isn't the type of shooter where mouse +keyboard precision is necessary, and can easily be made up for with a little extra thought.

I honestly can't be bothered to put my hands in the position to use gyro controls effectively. When I play splatoon, I move the gamepad where is comfortable.

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
Do what you feel comfortable with, first and foremost. I've heard a few people say you can't be competitive without motion controls, my rank (S+) says otherwise. I've played enough analogue shooters in my life that it's second nature, and Splatoon's controls are pretty similar to other shooters. That's why I picked up analogue so well, so fast.

I did OK with motion controls, but I never got the hang of it. Try both, but don't feel pressured to go with motion controls just because more people use them.

NNID
Yungkawaiiqueen
Thanks for all the advice! I've been practicing with the motion controls a little bit and it feels more comfortable than when I started, but I have found myself constantly needed to reset the camera so it's comfortable, but I do find that my aim is slightly more precise when I use them. It is really annoying to have to sit up completely straight to keep everything steady, but I'll keep working on it and see how I feel. After playing 300+ hours without them, it's kind of weird trying to get used to something new.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
Thanks for all the advice! I've been practicing with the motion controls a little bit and it feels more comfortable than when I started, but I have found myself constantly needed to reset the camera so it's comfortable, but I do find that my aim is slightly more precise when I use them. It is really annoying to have to sit up completely straight to keep everything steady, but I'll keep working on it and see how I feel. After playing 300+ hours without them, it's kind of weird trying to get used to something new.
No worries, I still find myself doing that every so often too. It starts out happening very often, but over time as you get used to letting your hands and arms naturally fall and twist and turn, you reset the camera less and less. So, don't worry, you're not the only one. It takes quite a bit of time to get used to. And even then it may not feel natural to you.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
I can't play without motion. That's how much it matters to me. I adore the precision you get with it.

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
As someone who had no previous shooter experience, I never turned it off. It was kind of wonky at first, but I got a hold of it once I beat Octo Valley.

Also, I find it easier if I stand up while playing. I seem to have a greater freedom to make big turns or shift.

NNID
Yungkawaiiqueen
Ah since this post I've been using them. I practiced with them for a couple hours and then got so comfortable with it that it's now weird for me to turn them off. I have much better aim now! I'm glad I turned them on~

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
Ah since this post I've been using them. I practiced with them for a couple hours and then got so comfortable with it that it's now weird for me to turn them off. I have much better aim now! I'm glad I turned them on~
Lol, told ya. All it takes is a little getting used to and it just feels so right. Glad you got the hang of it.

AustinXYZ

Inkling
NNID
AustinXYZ
I didn't realize you could turn motion off... how do you aim with the right stick moving that slow? Are there pro players who use sticks?

Sasy

Inkling
NNID
aWanderingArtist
@AustinXYZ

You can change the sensitivity settings. Of course, a more positive setting such as +2 or +4 means the camera moves faster. I use a -2 sensitivity so I can aim with a slow camera. For me, it's harder to aim with a faster moving camera. Try using sticks, it's not as horrible as some players think it is.

To answer your second question, there are a handful of players that use stick and work well with them. There are S+ and tournament players that use sticks. I, myself, use sticks and I got to S 92 last night. (So close~!) Of course, stick players aren't that common, especially in the higher ranks, but they are by no means a garbage teammate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom