• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Should the Kraken be Nerfed?

Andrew

Inkling
NNID
Squidtoon
In my opinion one of the most annoying special weapons to deal with is the Kraken. Why? Because it comes out when your least expecting it, which makes it really annoying. With the press of a button your turned into the Kraken in a split second. I personally think that they should make it so that it takes about 1-2 seconds for you to transform into the Kraken, and during the transformation time you can still be splatted. Thats really all I want them to do, I don't think they should nerf the Kraken itself, just the transformation time. So what do you guys think? Should the Kraken be nerfed they way I want it to be? Or not?

Griff

Inkling
NNID
Oilerfan7
I think it's fairly balanced, but if I had to make a change to it I would make it take a tad longer to get. I feel like the time it takes to charge it, especially when you have the boost on death, is a bit too short. I usually play with the Krak-On, and I find that I have it more often than not as a result of it's quick charge, which really takes out a lot of the risk of using a roller as if you over extend yourself or find yourself out of position you have a total get out of jail button.

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
I think it's fairly balanced, but if I had to make a change to it I would make it take a tad longer to get. I feel like the time it takes to charge it, especially when you have the boost on death, is a bit too short. I usually play with the Krak-On, and I find that I have it more often than not as a result of it's quick charge, which really takes out a lot of the risk of using a roller as if you over extend yourself or find yourself out of position you have a total get out of jail button.
Pretty much this. I don't have an issue with it, but when I was watching a video of a roller with not much Special Up ; yet thier meter filled quickly. I don't like it and realized why I always saw a kraken every few seconds.

Again, not that big of a deal but the Kraken is my least favored special to come across and wouldn't be surprised if they are nerfed slightly in the future.

Travelingpik

Full Squid
NNID
travelingpik
I just dislike hearing that crack noise from a oneshot kill and then hearing a Kraken come out meaning my kill is blocked even tho I feel like I deserve it.

NamelessCrow

Inkster Jr.
NNID
TylerBlind
I think it's fairly balanced, but increasing the amount of points needed to get it from 180p-220p like they did with the inkzooka would be nice. Espcecially with the Neo Sploosh-o-Matic coming out. It covers turf so easily, getting a Kraken wont's be a problem at all. And also considering the usage of the Krak-On Roller and how easy it is for people to get a Kraken with that too, changing the points needed would probably be for the best,
And that comes from someone who's absolutely ecstatic for the Neo sploosh.
But transformation time isn't needed at all other than points, it's fine really.

Andrew

Inkling
NNID
Squidtoon
Thats a good idea too, that would definitely decrease the amount of people using a weapon with a kraken as a special online. I have tendency to call people using a weapon with a kraken as a special "Krak Addicts", mainly because I get salty when I get splatted by a kraken.

Last edited:

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
I think it's fairly balanced, but increasing the amount of points needed to get it from 180p-220p like they did with the inkzooka would be nice. Espcecially with the Neo Sploosh-o-Matic coming out. It covers turf so easily, getting a Kraken wont's be a problem at all. And also considering the usage of the Krak-On Roller and how easy it is for people to get a Kraken with that too, changing the points needed would probably be for the best,
And that comes from someone who's absolutely ecstatic for the Neo sploosh.
But transformation time isn't needed at all other than points, it's fine really.
The problem with that is if you do that your hurting weapons like the Jet Squelcher and .96gal deco that take forever and a day to get thier special. If a nerf HAD to happen it would have to be either a weapon specific nerf, a decrease in duration, or increase in knockback.

Rex

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Xerhid
I really go back and forth on this. I hate the Kraken and don't use weapons with it, but am not totally convinced a nerf is in order. Yet, I frequently encounter the Kraken as the true difference-maker in a lot of matches that were otherwise balanced, and I am not sure that is consistently true of other specials. I'll often see one team as having a solid defensive formation set up, playing skillfully, and then BAM Kraken hits and basically blows up the entire game. Yeah, yeah, "git gud" but the really experienced Kraken users know when to apply the special so that it's very challenging to counter. About the only other specials that I have seen do this are the Inkzooka or Killer Wail, but not on a consistent basis. Bubbler can at times pull this off, but most experienced players are able to shoot it back or retreat effectively.

Andrew

Inkling
NNID
Squidtoon
The problem with that is if you do that your hurting weapons like the Jet Squelcher and .96gal deco that take forever and a day to get thier special. If a nerf HAD to happen it would have to be either a weapon specific nerf, a decrease in duration, or increase in knockback.
The .96 gal is actually really good at inking turf despite the fact it has a slow fire rate for a shooter, just do about 4 hots in a general direction and you got your self a clear path almost full of your ink. It doesn't take long to get the echolocater. However I rarely ever use the Deco version because I like the echolocater.

NamelessCrow

Inkster Jr.
NNID
TylerBlind
Okay hold on let me get on this.
So I like the Kraken special. A lot. I love the idea of it, the mechanic, how it works, everything. However, I don't use rollers. I only have ever purchased the Splat Roller when i first started playing, used it for 3 games, and admitted that I don't like it. Since then the only other thing close to that which I've bough is the Inkbrush, but you can't really consider that a roller bc of how it works imo. Nonetheless, the point is, I've never used the Krak-On Roller, yet I love the Kraken special.

So because of this, when the Custom Jet Squelcher came out, I was hyped. "Finally, a regular weapon that gets Kraken!" But I didn't know how wrong I was.
For those who don't know, unless you are Splatoon Jesus, the Jet Squelcher is crap. At least it was for me. No matter what I tried, I couldn't be successful with it, or rather, anywhere near as successful with it as I was with other weapons. It's fire rate is too slow, and it's damage is fairly low. The only thing it has going for it is range. (On the contrary though, the Dual Squelcher, is awesome bc it boosts both damage and fire rate while keeping good range.) Soi to answer the Squelcher part: no one really uses the squelcher, and those who do use it for a few games before realizing there are much better weapons.

Now onto the .96 gal deco.
Now honestly as a non gal user I don't have much to say about this gun.
Do I have it purchased? Yes
Have I used it before? Yes
A lot? Not really, so my experience with using it is limited. HOWEVER, my experience against it, is not. Anyone who has oplayed Splatoon for a considerable amount of time knowns that the Gal weapons are fairly popular and decently hard to go against due to the range and damge output of both of the guns. The only thing they don't have is fire rate. But in my opinion, strictly based off of my experience with and against this weapon, I thnk that a 40p increase in the psecial will not hurt it at all. And here's why: The gal weapons excel at damage. In fact, they have the highest damage of any automatic weapon in the game. (if I remember correctly, I'm not able to check atm.) Because of this damage combined with the range, they win about 75% of head-on gunfights. And, despite lack of rate of fire, they cover turf significatntly well.

So in conclusion, bringing the special up 40p from 180p - 220p will not effect them at all.
If you still disagree iwth me, that's okay, it;s your opinion. But now you understand why I think the way I do, and why I will stick by my opinion.

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
So I like the Kraken special. A lot. I love the idea of it, the mechanic, how it works, everything. However, I don't use rollers. I only have ever purchased the Splat Roller when i first started playing, used it for 3 games, and admitted that I don't like it. Since then the only other thing close to that which I've bough is the Inkbrush, but you can't really consider that a roller bc of how it works imo. Nonetheless, the point is, I've never used the Krak-On Roller, yet I love the Kraken special.

So because of this, when the Custom Jet Squelcher came out, I was hyped. "Finally, a regular weapon that gets Kraken!" But I didn't know how wrong I was.
For those who don't know, unless you are Splatoon Jesus, the Jet Squelcher is crap. At least it was for me. No matter what I tried, I couldn't be successful with it, or rather, anywhere near as successful with it as I was with other weapons. It's fire rate is too slow, and it's damage is fairly low. The only thing it has going for it is range. (On the contrary though, the Dual Squelcher, is awesome bc it boosts both damage and fire rate while keeping good range.) Soi to answer the Squelcher part: no one really uses the squelcher, and those who do use it for a few games before realizing there are much better weapons.

A lot? Not really, so my experience with using it is limited. HOWEVER, my experience against it, is not. Anyone who has oplayed Splatoon for a considerable amount of time knowns that the Gal weapons are fairly popular and decently hard to go against due to the range and damge output of both of the guns. The only thing they don't have is fire rate. But in my opinion, strictly based off of my experience with and against this weapon, I thnk that a 40p increase in the psecial will not hurt it at all. And here's why: The gal weapons excel at damage. In fact, they have the highest damage of any automatic weapon in the game. (if I remember correctly, I'm not able to check atm.) Because of this damage combined with the range, they win about 75% of head-on gunfights. And, despite lack of rate of fire, they cover turf significatntly well.

So in conclusion, bringing the special up 40p from 180p - 220p will not effect them at all.
If you still disagree iwth me, that's okay, it;s your opinion. But now you understand why I think the way I do, and why I will stick by my opinion.
....people do use the squelcher especially on Moray Towers, Saltspray, and Port Mackeral. As a person who uses both in ranked, I get to use it less than half as much as other weapon users with the Kraken do. So my comment is from extended expereince. But thats your opinion so...okay then.

@Andrew

I meant the Deco. I use both tho. Compared to a roller or faster weapons it does take awhile. Perhaps because the Echolocator lasts awhile and you can charge your meter while it is active it doesn't seem that long to you. Keep in mind I put Special Charge up and rely on tenacity for these weapons and still find it non-satisfying.

Andrew

Inkling
NNID
Squidtoon

I almost never use the .96 gal deco, I prefer the normal with the Echolocater (which btw is my main), I'm personally bad with the Kraken, I can't seem to get that surprise attack that everybody seems to get on me that makes me so salty. Anyways, I wish the best of luck with the neo sploosh-o-matic, but have you tryed the octobrush? Also I believe the dual squelcher only inceases fire rate, but decreases the range and damage of each shot, but in the end its easier to kill with because of the increased fire rate (in my opinion)

NamelessCrow

Inkster Jr.
NNID
TylerBlind
....people do use the squelcher especially on Moray Towers, Saltspray, and Port Mackeral. As a person who uses both in ranked, I get to use it less than half as much as other weapon users with the Kraken do. So my comment is from extended expereince. But thats your opinion so...okay then.
Okay wait, you use the Custom Squelcher and and somewhat successful with it? Duuuuuudddeeeee, please share your build I would love to try it out bc I would love to be successful with the Custom Squelcher not even joking.

But regarding your "I get top use it half as much as other weapon users with the Kraken do", that's what I was talking about. See, the thing there is that most peopole give up by then and move on. You're just extremely persistent.

NamelessCrow

Inkster Jr.
NNID
TylerBlind
I almost never use the .96 gal deco, I prefer the normal with the Echolocater (which btw is my main), I'm personally bad with the Kraken, I can't seem to get that surprise attack that everybody seems to get on me that makes me so salty. Anyways, I wish the best of luck with the neo sploosh-o-matic, but have you tryed the octobrush? Also I believe the dual squelcher only inceases fire rate, but decreases the range and damage of each shot, but in the end its easier to kill with because of the increased fire rate (in my opinion)
Thanks for the luck man! And regarding the Octobursh, no I haven't really gotten a chance to try it as I didn't like the feel of it. Inkbrush is wayyyy more fun hahaa c: And is that the stats of the Dual? I couldn't look so I figured I was wrong somewhere. But it is definitely easier to kill with bc of the rate of fire boost.

Andrew

Inkling
NNID
Squidtoon

@Andrew

I meant the Deco. I use both tho. Compared to a roller or faster weapons it does take awhile. Perhaps because the Echolocator lasts awhile and you can charge your meter while it is active it doesn't seem that long to you. Keep in mind I put Special Charge up and rely on tenacity for these weapons and still find it non-satisfying.
Yeah I personally use the Jet Squelcher on Moray Towers a lot too, its good for people who want to be that-guy-who-splats-people-from-afar-but-sucks-with-chargers (like me). Also you do have appoint about the normal 96. gal, because the echolocater does last for a while.

Andrew

Inkling
NNID
Squidtoon
Thanks for the luck man! And regarding the Octobursh, no I haven't really gotten a chance to try it as I didn't like the feel of it. Inkbrush is wayyyy more fun hahaa c: And is that the stats of the Dual? I couldn't look so I figured I was wrong somewhere. But it is definitely easier to kill with bc of the rate of fire boost.
Yeah I like to use the inkbrush and inkbrush nouvea over the octobrush because the inkbrushes swing much faster and it feels like its limitless on how fast you can swing it. The Octobrush... Not so much, it takes away all the fun of having a normal inkbrush.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Honestly I dislike the general idea of giving invincibility in these types of games in general, but the Kraken has been bothering me a bit less lately (at least when I'm not using the Heavy Splatling). I would have prefered it to not be in the game altogether (same with the Bubbler), but with the recent changes to the knockback one can at least "fight it back" to a degree, not just run and hope for the best. That said, the transformation time could have the potential to actually make this special a lot less frustrating (less of a "surprise, you're dead", and more of a "alright, bring i on" from both ends), but with the way the game works it could keep the invincibility while transforming to not hammer it too much

Andrew

Inkling
NNID
Squidtoon
Honestly I dislike the general idea of giving invincibility in these types of games in general, but the Kraken has been bothering me a bit less lately (at least when I'm not using the Heavy Splatling). I would have prefered it to not be in the game altogether (same with the Bubbler), but with the recent changes to the knockback one can at least "fight it back" to a degree, not just run and hope for the best. That said, the transformation time could have the potential to actually make this special a lot less frustrating (less of a "surprise, you're dead", and more of a "alright, bring i on" from both ends), but with the way the game works it could keep the invincibility while transforming to not hammer it too much
You do have a point with the knockback, I once saw and inkbrush user cornered by a kraken and he just repeatedly swung his brush at the Kraken and he couldn't get in. I was laughing my *** off even though the Kraken was on my team.

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
I like both .96s. Also, I am not aruging which weapon is better. If we are talking across all modes, I personally WOULD lean the vanilla .96 gal and the Dual Squechler. I don't even like using the Dual Scquechler but I have seen the success from to acknowledge its capabilities. I am just arguing the Kraken points could hurt some weapons. Imo, even slowing the speed of the Kraken a little is potentially a better nerf, since your making them spend more time to travel and simultaneously making knockback more effective.

@NamelessCrow

I don't really have a load out. I only use the squecler/deco when I am getting my rank back to where it was. I just hang back and abuse its range as much as possible. For example, in Saltspray in rainmaker mode, there is almost ALWAYS a roller/blaster that will jump down to the bottom area to charge thier special, sneak paint wall that leads to your spawn and rainmaker loss, and flank. I use its range to kill them. Even if you drop down, over 90% of the time you will kill them before they even get close to you. I also, go to the top area when the rainmaker or tower for that matter, is at the bottom. Its just easy kills. It can defend a splatzone area in Port Mackeral pretty amazingly too. Again I only use it on specific maps. it does have its limitations, but I disagree with you saying no-one uses it as I use from time to time and see it pop up on certain maps.

And yes...I guess I am persistant. I only rank up with the Nozzlenose. The only time I don't use it is when my rank is lower than what it was previously. I have 0 problems losing to see what a weapon can and can not do.

PK21

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
PuffleKirby21
It's a special that gives you:
-Great mobility because you make a path of ink wherever you go
-Invincibility
-A 1-hit-splat move
It doesn't take long to get and lasts for quite a while. I'd most definitely like a nerf.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom