• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Should the rotation system be changed/replaced in the next Splatoon entry?

Narson03

Inkling
NNID
narson3
Switch Friend Code
SW-3464-8772-9404
I've always seen people complain about what's currently in rotation, whether it be the maps, the mode, or the mode being played on a certain map. It's made me realize how limiting the rotation can be, especially if you're starting and only have Turf War and maybe Anarchy.

So, I wanted to ask if they should change it to include more map/mode options, or if possibly remove the rotation system all together for something else? If so, how do you want to see the rotation be changed/replaced. If you think not, why do you think it's best to keep the current system?

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
Ideally we would just have good enough maps that there wouldn't be bad rotations to avoid, but that's an impossible pipe dream. Before we talk about getting rid of rotations, it's important to consider why we have them in the first place.

The first reason is to avoid a de_dust or ctf_2fort situation where people just pick one map over and over and the rest don't get played. I always thought this was a clever way to solve that problem... but the state of S3 is making me reconsider if this solution is actually worse...

The other reason is to simplify and consolidate matchmaking as much as possible with just one queue. Nintendo was taking a pretty big risk releasing an online-focused game in a new IP on a dying console, and you can tell they weren't sure how populated it would be. They did not want to take any risks whatsoever here, so they just funneled everyone into one queue that you'll be sure to find matches in. This reasoning is also why Salmon Run had such a limited schedule at the start of S2, and was later made more frequent once they were sure it wasn't going to leech player population away from other modes.

Three games in, Splatoon is now a massive hit on a much more successful console, so they don't have to be too afraid anymore. However, even if the population is high and matchmaking time is fast, I feel like matchmaking quality is still a disaster, and I do think part of the problem is that we've split apart two redundant solo queues. So I don't think it would be good if S4 were to split off even more, if you give players too many choices it could do more harm than good.

Pronouns
She/Her
NNID
Daboom
Switch Friend Code
SW-2831-6835-6599
I'd rather see rotations get improved upon like having 5-6 maps in a rotation and before you que you select the map(s) you want to play on kinda like mariokart 8 but different.

Grushi

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-1492-1491-3432
I honestly still like the rotations system, I get why people don't like it but I think it's nice to have a good variety of maps.
The problem is really just the garbage maps, if they were all at least mediocre I feel like it wouldn't be as much of a problem, have fun playing that eeltail + scorch zones rotation!!!

WIP Riley

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-8150-4404-2151
The rotation idea is kinda cool and plays into the lore ig but its kinda outdated by now

Reecey Boi

Inkster Jr.
I think it's fine for maps, but for modes it needs to be changed. X rank especially is very stupid because if you want to grind XP in say RM, you just have to hope it's in rotation when you can play, let alone considering maps

If they add another ranked mode they have to change something, else people may have to wait up to 8 hours just to play the mode they want

Pineapple Death Match

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-4487-0366-3601
I like the gimmick of map rotation (keeps things fresh with that "you'll never know what'll be available when you play" element, unless you're a nerd like me and use the app to plan ahead) - the only thing I'd really want to change about it is maybe increase the number of maps available in each rotation to 3 instead of 2, or maybe have some rotations where your options are 1 map that's "set in stone" and then a mystery map picked at "random."

Bear in mind, I'm looking more at the "casual" overall experience (too intimidated to try anarchy tbqh) - but for the competitive modes, I can imagine how annoying it is when you have to pray that the one or two modes you want to actually invest time in are avalible. Hopefully that's something to be tweaked in the future.

Aiko.Octo

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
she/her
There's a lot to be desired with the current system but outside of fixing all the maps so there's no 'bad' ones (granted there's always going to be some maps that are better than others and better for certain weapons/team comps/playstyles so preferences will never truly be eliminated unless all maps are exactly the same and who wants that?? but still there are several that could at least be objectively Less Bad than they are...anyway.), I'm not really sure what else they can really do that wouldn't exacerbate the problems with matchmaking by spreading it even thinner.

It might be nice they could introduce a mechanic where everyone (maybe after reaching a certain rank or number of play hours) could mark off a list of the maps/modes they prefer, and then everyone who plays a game has their 'votes' taken into account for the next 40hr period, and those are used to calculate the upcoming rotations. They probably shouldn't be the only factor taken into account, since those who enjoy unpopular maps shouldn't never get to play them, so maybe something like every other rotation could be 'player picks' determined, (with a few balancing factors to make sure individual maps aren't repeated too many times in a short period), while the off-rotations remain generally random like they are now. I dunno, it would still be far from perfect but hopefully it would at least reduce the frequency of the least favored maps, which would be better than nothing. And hey, the popularity data could be useful to the developers when they're deciding which maps are most in need of a revamping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom