Should there be a different rank a person has for each mode?

モモコ

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Momogirl3
So I remember some others saying on a different form on why you may have players that underpform for thier rank. One of the reasons I want to focus on is because some people are better at some ranks for others. Now I seen my self a being good at all of them or at least know what to do (like how to carry rm, when to shoot it when to jump off, some people jump off a bad times) anyways today, this morning I really had a bad time on TC for skatepark and camp (and camp is usually a strong map for me, regardless of mode) and went A 92 (blaster only getting to this point) to A 31 (we won from what I want to blame as d/c that actually got me back to 31, got 12 points, the person that d/ced, around 5 seconds left to go (not counting the OT) so the winning on d/c prob did not effect points much since it was so late.

Anyways I had a big loss in points and this is really not like me esp in A ranks.. then comes splatzones... on Mahi and underpass.. I only lost 3 of my matches and all of them was super close. One of my losses I am going to blame a hydra going up close though basically being useless, anyways I got to A+ on my blaster easily on these splatzones, so I am exited since it is the first time reaching this rank on blaster only.

But then I went back to thinking about what the person said "some people are better on some modes then others" now when I want to play, like 70% of the time its splatzones, 20% tc and 10% rm... so I was wondering how people feel about separate ranks per mode. Or did I just happen to find a stronger blaster favored rotation then the tc? but to my understanding it is supposed ot be the other way around? I use custom range blaster.

Vitezen

Inkling Cadet
Some people are better at some modes than others, but sharing rank between them makes sure that players practice in all the modes if they want to play a lot. I think that is the reason that your rank can't change unless you play in solo queue, and they rotate through all the modes and maps. You cannot play constantly and be high rank unless you have mastered all the modes and maps.

Ikaheishi

Bobble-chan
I don't know whether it would be better or not. It would be different… and yet, probably not so different overall. As for what @Vitezen said, it would play out for both. Both ways would encourage players to play all modes, albeit differently.

With @モモコ's idea, it would encourage players to play all modes with a glaring C- rank in any mode they haven't played or been successful. The contrast between low rank in one mode and high rank in another certainly would drive some players nuts, and they'd try to rectify that.

Of course, some will also rage-quit because of it, but that already happens with how things are currently.

The first time I tried ranked was when it became available. After about six or seven splat zones matches that all were just utter destruction, I left and didn't play ranked until tower control was made available. In TC my rank quickly rose to to B+, and I simply would not play ranked when the mode was SZ. This continued well past the point of time when Rainmaker was added. I didn't really discover splat zones until November, after a streak of bad performance in TC and RM.

Would I have tried Splat Zones again at an earlier time if there were a separate rank for each mode? Maybe… It would have eliminated the 'risk' of loosing my rank earned in TC and RM.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Seems needlessly complicated. That's a lot of additional information for both Nintendo and the userbase to keep track of. Do any other games do this?

yokokazuo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
NagoyaKazuo
With Splatoon already being out for around 9 months, I think it would be too late to do this and it would probably be kind of complicated since so many people already have a rank.
In a sequel I think it could be possible.

Seems needlessly complicated. That's a lot of additional information for both Nintendo and the userbase to keep track of. Do any other games do this?
It's kind of different, but a couple comparisons I can make are how in Mario Kart you have different points for racing and battle modes. Also in Rocket League, there are separate ranks for duels, doubles, standard and solo standard.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
With Splatoon already being out for around 9 months, I think it would be too late to do this and it would probably be kind of complicated since so many people already have a rank.
In a sequel I think it could be possible.

It's kind of different, but a couple comparisons I can make are how in Mario Kart you have different points for racing and battle modes. Also in Rocket League, there are separate ranks for duels, doubles, standard and solo standard.
Fair enough. I was genuinely wondering if there was a valid precedent.

HypernovaSoul

Semi-Pro Squid
I would be down for that...but then, I would also be down for each mode being its own actual separate mode that people could specifically choose to play. i.e., the rotations would only be for stages, not modes. I say this because I really dislike certain stage+mode combinations. Tbh if each mode were its own separate option, I doubt I'd play Splat Zones much at all, if ever. :P I enjoy Ranked primarily for RM & TC.

I'd also appreciate this option because some stage+mode combos are just atrociously terrible. As for a separate rank for each one, I could imagine appreciating that for similar reasons, because I would absolutely perform better and more consistently in an exclusive Rainmaker mode as opposed to SZ. Clearly far too late to include in this game, but it may be nice to have something along these lines in the sequel.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
The only problem with splitting the modes is the eternal risk of splitting the playerbase. The more modes there are, the longer you might have to wait to get into a given match. It's a real double-edged sword of a problem.

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
I would be all for separate ranks for separate modes; if they do that, it might actually increase the amount of players in each mode (For instance, I almost never play Splat Zones since I am bad at it and don't really like it, but I would play it more if it did not ruin my Rainmaker and Tower Control ranks)

Templar

Inkster Jr.
NNID
TemplarAnimated
I like the way it is currently just because it makes a player get good at all modes. If I had to start from the beginning with all modes when I first started, I probably only would of played Tower Control, and I wont like I wouldn't of taken Rainmaker seriously. This way I play them to my highest level because every game counts.

Its also likely that Splat Zones would of been the only competitive mode this way, its bad, but people would of only would of wanted to focus on one game mode, same way every other competitive game only focuses on 4v4/5v5 death matches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom