Should there be ranked Turf War?

Mayana

Full Squid
NNID
wolfxdog
I think it would be interesting to play turf wars with others and be ranked for it, but it's not really necessary for me. Turf Wars I'm happy with being casual.

Fightersword

Good TOs are Capitalists
Super Moderator
NNID
Fightersword
in High level turf war, you try and control certain areas that are worth the most while minimizing your losses elsewhere, and it does come off as pretty competitive. Splat Zones is just king of the hill, plain and simple. The modes would be played somewhat similarly at high levels, with a little more emphasis on a wider area in Turf war rather than all the efforts on 1-2 small areas and the chokes and flanks around them.

An option for ranked turf war wouldn't hurt, but I'm afraid of splitting the playerbase up too much with too many different choices, which could lead to longer wait times for games generally.

Holder of the Heel

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Roarfang
The only reason Turf War might be considered pretty faulty when it comes to competitiveness is that generally even if you perform pro status for the first two and a half minutes, just one fumble after that can ruin everything and completely turn the tide of the battle in the last few seconds because all that matters is what's on the ground upon the timer's end, whereas in Splat Zone a team that has been outplayed the entire time is not going to be able to catch up by a sudden twist of fate, at the very least not as easily.

Not that I'm arguing against the idea, more options is usually nice. But I can't tell you how many times I've been on a team and felt really solid about our performance, just for us to slip up right at the end and the opponents edge forward just enough to achieve victory (not arguing that means we didn't deserve the loss for throwing it). In theory the modes are the same so they both don't have significant differences in how much strategy goes into it and what kind, one just has a bigger area; but the way it is scored is what sets it apart.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
When it comes down to it, I think both have competitive merit. With that said, for the question of should it be ranked, I will have to go with no.

Due to the exactly 3 minutes and the very rules of games, there really isn't a "Show your skills" kinda thing going on here. Lots of design decisions were made for people to quickly jump in and mess around and just have fun. It would be like giving for fun mode in smash a ranking system. For example, the objective being to paint more map then the opponent, limiting confrontation a little. There are a lot more moments where people will cry foul over losing then on splatzones.

dmauro

Inkling
NNID
dmauro
I think with the right maps, absolutely. I think saltspray rig is the one that would be good right out of the box as competitive because you're vying for control of an area that's not directly between spawns and it has a nice choke point with sniper nests, so there's more interplay between trying to hold that key position while also spending resources to ensure you don't completely lose the southern end of the map (that map is really inspired competitive or not). They'd need to kill the end game air strikes though, that would be game breaking in competitive. I'd probably have more fun with that than splat zones actually...

K7Sniper

Pro Squid
NNID
K7Sniper
It's more competitive because it forces you all to focus on one area, so there is a lot more direct confrontation with other players. Turf War, you can hang out and focus on an area away from the enemies and just cover areas.

So yea, more direct confrontation over a smaller area means more competition, but it doesn't necessarily mean more fun. I find TW to be tons more fun and enjoyable.

The Apple BOOM

Senior Squid
NNID
TheAppleBOOM
It's more competitive because it forces you all to focus on one area, so there is a lot more direct confrontation with other players. Turf War, you can hang out and focus on an area away from the enemies and just cover areas.
Actually, at its logical conclusion, Turf War players want to contest the same exact areas as in Splat Zones. The difference is that Turf War is more free form and less limiting, which gives room for more depth.

K7Sniper

Pro Squid
NNID
K7Sniper
The difference is that you are forced to cover a smaller area, making that one spot a focal point with constant competition.

Pusha

Inkling Cadet
Actually, at its logical conclusion, Turf War players want to contest the same exact areas as in Splat Zones. The difference is that Turf War is more free form and less limiting, which gives room for more depth.
free form or less limiting doesn't imply that there's more depth

CrazyDude

Pro Squid
Turf War ranked mode would be so hype! It's just a matter of time though. They will implement it in future for sure. (but without this ''zero points when you lose bullshit'' , just the regular points you get in turf war with higher bonus if you win)

Smashwidget

Full Squid
NNID
Smashwidget
Yes. Every time I get into a lobby with a bunch of other skilled players, it's great fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom