• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 Skill Dispairity Between Splat1 and 2?

Protege

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Lulzy16
Switch Friend Code
SW-4410-4786-4028
So I recently got my hands on Splatoon 2 after having played Splatoon 1 since around this time last year.

I hit S+ earlier this year in Splatoon 1 and continued to play at such a level up until last week, where I stopped playing 1 because I got 2.

But now in 2, I find myself struggling to break over 5 kills in a match of Turf (I usually go for kills), and even though my team usually wins, I constantly contribute the least and feel as though any other player would have helped my team win even more decisively.

Are players in Splatoon 2 just better, or did my change from 1 to 2 just make me really bad?

Berry

Senior Squid
NNID
BlazzBerry
I wouldnt say bad, but this is a little vague to go on. No weapon, level, gear, nor maps to go on off of so i'm going to say no?

I will add matchmaking has been a bit of a problem for turf wars pairing level 40s with level 15s. And in this game level actually matters since it can give you additional slots for gear and weapon unlocks have jumped up to level 30 instead of 20 in splat 1.

Tldr new people "to the game, not the series" normally have it slightly rough in the beginning.

Protege

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Lulzy16
Switch Friend Code
SW-4410-4786-4028
I wouldnt say bad, but this is a little vague to go on. No weapon, level, gear, nor maps to go on off of so i'm going to say no?

I will add matchmaking has been a bit of a problem for turf wars pairing level 40s with level 15s. And in this game level actually matters since it can give you additional slots for gear and weapon unlocks have jumped up to level 30 instead of 20 in splat 1.

Tldr new people "to the game, not the series" normally have it slightly rough in the beginning.
If you're looking for some reference, I'm currently level 9, mained longer range weapons like the Pro in 1, and it's all maps I'm struggling on, though I seem to be finding my groove just a bit more now.

You're right about the matchmaking though. I'm frequently paired with level 50s.

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
Turf Wars is a lot harder than it used to be, IMO. I'm at A/A+ in ranked, gaining slowly but steadily, but in turf wars I'm having a hard time even reaching Raw with most weapons. In Splatoon 1, most good players just did ranked all the time (until Splatfest, anyway), so Turf War was mostly worse players. I end up facing S+50's in Turf Wars all the time now, though.

Jon914

Pro Squid
Turf Wars has gotten harder and is no longer the casual, relaxing experience it used to be. That makes it tricky if you're looking to practice a new weapon or just want to wind down.

If you want to win, you have to solidly lock down mid and not let anybody pass. Play it like Splat Zones.

Fun? That's depends on what you're after, but if you just want to want to relax and mess around, it's no longer that kind of environment.

Sifu

Look Behind You
Switch Friend Code
SW-3816-1808-3393
Have you tried messing around with a variety of weapons? The meta has changed a bit, so see if a different weapon speaks to you compared to S1.

Protege

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Lulzy16
Switch Friend Code
SW-4410-4786-4028
So after playing the game for longer, I came to realize you guys are right. When it comes to Ranked, I don't really have a difference between 1 and 2, but Turf is a lot harder in 2 because I go in expecting a relaxed game and realize halfway in that people are NOT joking around.

Oh well. I unlocked Ranked, so that's probably where I'll spend most of my time at now.

swamphox

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DawGnar
I find it to be quite the opposite. I mean I had experience from S1 but overall it seemed a lot easier to get into the s+ ranks.....

Protege

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Lulzy16
Switch Friend Code
SW-4410-4786-4028
I find it to be quite the opposite. I mean I had experience from S1 but overall it seemed a lot easier to get into the s+ ranks.....

I originally made this post when I first got the game over a week ago. Now that I've had some time to get used to the game again and gotten my favorite weapons and so on, I've found that I'm still about as good as I was in 1, if not better.

Seemed to be just a short transition period! Also specials have less of an impact now compared to 1, which comes into play. In a way the reduced reliance and strength of specials has levelled the playing field somewhat which can have an effect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom