Sloshing Machine Neo: Analysis and Thoughts

Hawk Seow

Pro Squid
NNID
Hawk-Seow
Wait do the Sloshing Machines have more range than the Range Blasters?
I can test that out in the range in a bit since I don't really remember (I'm not a blaster expert per se) but I hope you weren't misinterpreting what I was saying.

Let's say you used a Rapid Blaster Pro (longest range Blaster IIRC) and you wanted to splat someone hiding right behind that short wall at Saltspray Rig, you'd need to back off quite far to get your blast to hit them, the Sloshing Machine has no such problem due to the fact that it's projectile actually arcs. Of course, the other way is to fire your shots diagonally from the other side but yea, I hope you get my point :)

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
I can test that out in the range in a bit since I don't really remember (I'm not a blaster expert per se) but I hope you weren't misinterpreting what I was saying.

Let's say you used a Rapid Blaster Pro (longest range Blaster IIRC) and you wanted to splat someone hiding right behind that short wall at Saltspray Rig, you'd need to back off quite far to get your blast to hit them, the Sloshing Machine has no such problem due to the fact that it's projectile actually arcs. Of course, the other way is to fire your shots diagonally from the other side but yea, I hope you get my point :)
Ah yes I do. But can you test it? Because if the Range Blaster have more range, than I just found this weapon's biggest counter with the Custom Range Blaster (because that thing can do CRC really well with its Splat Bombs and Kraken).

Hawk Seow

Pro Squid
NNID
Hawk-Seow
Ah yes I do. But can you test it? Because if the Range Blaster have more range, than I just found this weapon's biggest counter with the Custom Range Blaster (because that thing can do CRC really well with its Splat Bombs and Kraken).
Just happened to load up my Wii U for testing!

The Sloshing Machines can land critical hits at 3 lines away from the test dummy. Max range is somewhere around 3.3-3.4 lines but they'll never be criticals. The Range Blaster needs to be somewhere around 2.8 lines away (just an estimate) to get the OHKO. It's splash damage max range is around 3.4 lines away.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
Just happened to load up my Wii U for testing!

The Sloshing Machines can land critical hits at 3 lines away from the test dummy. Max range is somewhere around 3.3-3.4 lines but they'll never be criticals. The Range Blaster needs to be somewhere around 2.8 lines away (just an estimate) to get the OHKO. It's splash damage max range is around 3.4 lines away.
Oh so then they're essentially equal. Good. I was worried that there would he an unbeatable counter on our hands. XD

Hawk Seow

Pro Squid
NNID
Hawk-Seow
Oh so then they're essentially equal. Good. I was worried that there would he an unbeatable counter on our hands. XD
And why would that have been the case assuming the CRB outranged the SMN? I'd like to read your reasoning, really curious :D

Edit: For what it's worth, wouldn't a Custom Jet Squelcher also be a huge issue based on your reasoning? (Superior range, burst bombs and Kraken)

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
And why would that have been the case assuming the CRB outranged the SMN? I'd like to read your reasoning, really curious :D

Edit: For what it's worth, wouldn't a Custom Jet Squelcher also be a huge issue based on your reasoning? (Superior range, burst bombs and Kraken)
Basically the difference between Splat Bombs and Burst Bombs where the amount of hits to kill are concerned. Since the Sloshing Machine Neo is bad at close range as already established, it should try to retreat to its kill zone before the second Burst Bomb hits (unless the guy REALLY rushes you down, which Custom Jets don't normally do too much). With Splat Bombs, it's a 1-hit KO, and they don't take too long to explode. However, luckily, their radius isn't TOO big, but big enough to where it can be very hard to escape. Kraken is just a "you're dead" sign for the SMN already. XD If you see one, than just run. Oh, also Inkzooka does counter them both at range.

Hawk Seow

Pro Squid
NNID
Hawk-Seow
Basically the difference between Splat Bombs and Burst Bombs where the amount of hits to kill are concerned. Since the Sloshing Machine Neo is bad at close range as already established, it should try to retreat to its kill zone before the second Burst Bomb hits (unless the guy REALLY rushes you down, which Custom Jets don't normally do too much). With Splat Bombs, it's a 1-hit KO, and they don't take too long to explode. However, luckily, their radius isn't TOO big, but big enough to where it can be very hard to escape. Kraken is just a "you're dead" sign for the SMN already. XD If you see one, than just run. Oh, also Inkzooka does counter them both at range.
I see it differently. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I think the sloshing machines do well almost throughout their entire range meaning you basically should be hitting your opponent whether they're point blank or 3 lines away. I said 'almost' because I think right at the maximum tip of the range you don't do enough damage and the hitbox is basically the tip.

It might be because of a fundamental difference in our playstyle and playmode. I play aggressively almost all the time and I'll point sensor anyone who is within my SMN's range. I'll then choose an approach based on that player's weapon and reaction to being located. It's also a good time to observe how they behave when they're visible to my team and I (eg. Do they continue hiding, biding their time with confidence? Do they rush out to try and take you down before you can maneuver around and flank them?)

VS weapons that outrange me, I'll try to sneak in at least one hit before they realize it (by sneaking around or lobbing the shot even) then aiming for the kill in the second hit (especially when they return fire which is when they're in kid form; easy criticals).

VS weapons that I outrange (which also tend to be the ones that can kill me faster than I can kill them), it's slightly different as I'll quickly get in range to lob a shot at them and then aim the second shot based on the first shot's feedback (critical or not).

I'll just briefly repeat what I said about Inkzooka: it's one of the best (and only ways) to deal with snipers, to lock down tight chokepoints, to harass and ultimately I consider it a bonus (unless it's Moray Towers with enemy E-Liters and my team has no one else capable of countering).

I personally think the sloshing machine (the weapon itself without the subs) is pretty fantastic and is mainly hampered by a need for methodical turfing and it's high ink usage.

With that said, I could be totally wrong since I don't think I've come across many highly-skilled CRBs yet.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
I see it differently. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I think the sloshing machines do well almost throughout their entire range meaning you basically should be hitting your opponent whether they're point blank or 3 lines away. I said 'almost' because I think right at the maximum tip of the range you don't do enough damage and the hitbox is basically the tip.

It might be because of a fundamental difference in our playstyle and playmode. I play aggressively almost all the time and I'll point sensor anyone who is within my SMN's range. I'll then choose an approach based on that player's weapon and reaction to being located. It's also a good time to observe how they behave when they're visible to my team and I (eg. Do they continue hiding, biding their time with confidence? Do they rush out to try and take you down before you can maneuver around and flank them?)

VS weapons that outrange me, I'll try to sneak in at least one hit before they realize it (by sneaking around or lobbing the shot even) then aiming for the kill in the second hit (especially when they return fire which is when they're in kid form; easy criticals).

VS weapons that I outrange (which also tend to be the ones that can kill me faster than I can kill them), it's slightly different as I'll quickly get in range to lob a shot at them and then aim the second shot based on the first shot's feedback (critical or not).

I'll just briefly repeat what I said about Inkzooka: it's one of the best (and only ways) to deal with snipers, to lock down tight chokepoints, to harass and ultimately I consider it a bonus (unless it's Moray Towers with enemy E-Liters and my team has no one else capable of countering).

I personally think the sloshing machine (the weapon itself without the subs) is pretty fantastic and is mainly hampered by a need for methodical turfing and it's high ink usage.

With that said, I could be totally wrong since I don't think I've come across many highly-skilled CRBs yet.
Yeah they are hard to find. Skilled normal RnBs as well as CRnBs too. Right now I think the major thing to worry about with this weapon are the brave short range weapon players who can rush down almost flawlessly and how to outplay them.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
robably need to try this weapon out vs a whole bunch of S+ ranked players or something because I almost always get at least one critical hit on anyone with my playstyle (a reckless one at that), which means that I usually earn 2HKOs with this weapon, 3-4HKOs probably means you were dealing all your damage via vortex hits.

For the blasters I think the main difference is that they perform differently based on their designated range whilst the sloshing machines perform well throughout their entire range (as long as you aren't getting taken by surprise) and the blasters don't do as well over vertical obstacles.

Not saying you can't deal damage over them, but if your blaster is a longer ranged one you need to space yourself first whilst for the sloshing machine you just need to change your vertical angle and sometimes getting a lucky critical which informs you that the enemy is one more hit away from death: RUSH THAT SQUID DOWN!!!

I'm a master-masher because after starting out on the Splat Roller, I went to the Inkbrush, then L-3, then H-3, then some slosher then sloshing machines :p
LOL, with it's slow RoF I've found it's kind of hard to reliably land criticals against fast moving targets. Not that the same isn't true of blasters, but personally I don't think many people would view an SM as something that works well at any range. To me it's something you abuse the range as much as you can and only fire it close in an absolute act of desperation. A blaster can still be a one hit kill up close. An RB is probably harder to use up close than smn, true, but between blasters, rb's and sm's I'd go with blasters in a close pinch before anything. SM, like RB has too slow a ttk for a 2hko up close against any fast weapon (nzap, sploosh, splash, splattershot, rollers, brushes, aeros, jrs, chargers, etc.) It lives and dies on its range. It's thin line inking is as problematic as rapid blasters (but more mashy/fatiguing) but normal blasters give more room to maneuver.

Ouch, that's a lot of button mashing! Not so much with rollers, but Carbon is as

I think I quoted the wrong portion above, oh well. But I was going to say I'd personally prefer the vanilla RnB to the Custom - the splat bombs buy you some hope but I see that as a more defensive alternative to an arguably more offensive vanilla RnB - splash walls set up the absolute line of skirmish. Yeah, I know the arc can land on your head of the SM user is that good, but in all likelyhood, as with most artillery it'll take a test shot or two to dial in the range, and by then you can ohko them.

I can't imagine using an SMN at anything closer than its maximum range and living to tell about it. It's just too slow for that!

I still say I'm a lot more afraid of a slosher/blaster's main weapon as an eliter than I am of an inkzooka. Sure I've been nailed by a surprise tornado sometimes (and have nailed other snipers with a 'zooka shot) but in general if you're being observant as a sniper, you'll see that inkzooka deploy and get out of the way in time (or while that slow tornado glides toward you . A slosher/blaster that sneaks under me and hits me from below is something much more frightening!

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
In TC today, I decided to play with this blaster for a while, because I hate winning. I at least never got a 1/X record or worse...

How do people use this weapon? I'd absolutely love to learn to play it better, as it can do a whole bunch of things of which no other weapon is capable. I'm fairly competent with it up to A+, last I played down there, but haven't yet successfully made the transfer to S, where I continue to play considerably more successfully with the five faster buckets.

I used to run maximum :ability_damage: (3 Mains and 3 Subs in my case), as this weapon becomes capable of scratch damage KOs with that much investment, but, partly from experimenting in Splat Zones, I've found that I can battle much more successfully with focus on ink efficiency. Today, I wore some potentially useful gear that still had empty slots, so wasn't full, but roughly had :ability_inksavermain: (1 Main/2 Subs), :ability_damage: (1 Main) and :ability_inkresistance:, plus a little Special improvement.

Numerically, I gave a quick check to how this weapon works with the greatest ink efficiency that I could put together (3 Mains/3 Subs) and was hugely impressed. From a base allowance of 14 shots, this much Ability investment brings it right up to 23. I got either 17 or 18 from the lower investment above, which was still a good improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom