Smurfing

1o2

Inkling Cadet
So recently I've been using my Sister's nnid to work on my blaster skills. Today I actually got her to to lvl 10 so I could do ranked. So obviously I played some rank and literally obliterated these poor C ranks. I lost 2 games total on my way to C+ 72, with games constantly having me going 18-3/23-4/20-4/8-1/7-0, etc. Unfortunately the servers going down for maintenance ruined my streak. My main account is an S ranked Splattershot Pro user.

What's your opinion on smurfing? I feel a little bit dirty for plowing through these C rankers just to work on my Blaster.

Saturnian

Inkling
I don't think it would be an issue or matter as much, as everyone is starting on C-. If someone wishes to restart it could be an issue, but as it stands the climb up should entertain people enough

DavAndrus

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Dorkdav
Got a new Wii U so I've been trying to get back to my old rank, doing the same thing you are. Personally I don't like smurfing and I mean that in the sense of people intentionally fighting weaker people in order to win.

Playing through low ranks have given me new empathy for low rank players. I went 24-9 one game and still lost. If you aren't carrying hard at C rank you can lose a lot of games and even if you do then you'll still lose some.

Newtonjar

Senior Squid
Got a new Wii U so I've been trying to get back to my old rank, doing the same thing you are. Personally I don't like smurfing and I mean that in the sense of people intentionally fighting weaker people in order to win.

Playing through low ranks have given me new empathy for low rank players. I went 24-9 one game and still lost. If you aren't carrying hard at C rank you can lose a lot of games and even if you do then you'll still lose some.
Yeah, I definately agree with you. In this game carrying a team is near impossible or at least really difficult. And this is why I don't think smurfing will really be a thing in this game as opposed to league of legends where a good player can easily carry a team where none of the other players know what they are doing.

Kryzz

Full Squid
NNID
Valdraya

My teammate made a smurf the other day to work on his charger skills, and I think this result goes to show why it's not really a big deal. There's no carry in splatoon. Also you have to get to level 10 just to go into ranked and after an hour or two you can already be in the B ranks

Kat

Wet, Warm & Sticky
NNID
FunkyFlump
I don't really get smurfing. All it does is pamper fragile egos. You basically gain nothing as all your opponents are considerably lower skilled anyway. Smurfing is always dumb and always has been, my stamp of disapproval.

Newtonjar

Senior Squid
I don't really get smurfing. All it does is pamper fragile egos. You basically gain nothing as all your opponents are considerably lower skilled anyway. Smurfing is always dumb and always has been, my stamp of disapproval.
I think you are criminilizing smurfing a bit too much. I mean smurfing could be used for a couple of non negative ways. The first that comes to mind is when you are teaching a newbie it is a lot more helpful to play with them, thus you need to smurf. The second example is sometimes when you are feeling down and don't feel like you are improving at all smurfing could show you how far you have come and give you more hope of improving. Of course like everything smurfing can be abused and used for the purpose you have said, but as far as splatoon goes smurfing doesn't really work for reasons we have already established.

Sol64

The RNG God of /r/Splatoon
Wait, what actually is smurfing? (Being serious here, i've heard it a lot)

Is it the same as ghosting?

Newtonjar

Senior Squid
Wait, what actually is smurfing? (Being serious here, i've heard it a lot)

Is it the same as ghosting?
Smurfing is when an experienced player creates a new account to play at a lower rank for a variety of reasons.

DavAndrus

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Dorkdav
I feel the truest definition of smurfing is experienced players creating a new account to play against new
Yeah, I understand that as "Ghosting".
No, Ghosting is watching someone streaming that you are playing against in order to get info that you normally wouldn't know. Sort of like screen watching over the Internet (though less effective thanks to delay).

Drez

Pro Squid
NNID
neokrw
Can be a good way to practice new weapons. Playing against lower skilled players gives you room to expiriment while playing higher level peeps won't, as they would punish you quickly when you try new things. Now if its just to inflate your ego I agree its not really something I would approve of either.

Sol64

The RNG God of /r/Splatoon
I feel the truest definition of smurfing is experienced players creating a new account to play against new

No, Ghosting is watching someone streaming that you are playing against in order to get info that you normally wouldn't know. Sort of like screen watching over the Internet (though less effective thanks to delay).
Yeah, I used this term long before I looked on the internet to find its meaning being for something else.

Back in 2008, I used the term to signify on appearance that "this player" (usually in a lobby) should be a complete newbie only to then play like he has like a main account.

Blast

Inactive
NNID
Blastystoise
I agree with @Drez, it could be used as a way to try a new weapon without relentlessly getting punished if you're struggling at first.

Honestly, I can see why some people would do this to boost their ego, because there have been times when I seriously didn't get any enjoyment out of the game because the opponents I was facing were too strong. Playong against some lower leveled players would be helpful to regain the fun of the game. Though I never resorted to this anyway. It's forgivable, in my opinion, but still not very respectable.

Noise Tank

Full Squid
Don't know when that started, but ghosting has been a term since CoD4 for going around the map getting kills without being seen/heard.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I don't really think smurfing is a problem in Splatoon, this isn't really a game that would be heavily affected by it. Do it in a moba on the other hand, then you're just a jerk.. but shooter games aren't really the same thing.

Yeah, I understand that as "Ghosting".
Uh.. no.

Don't know when that started, but ghosting has been a term since CoD4 for going around the map getting kills without being seen/heard.
It was the "information post death" thing first. Call of Duty doesn't get fancy names for things.

ch0wchilla

Inkster Jr.
Haven't as yet done it myself but I personally don't see a problem with it so long as your intention is to try a new weapon/playstyle away from your main. As the alternative would be weakening other S players on your team while you're (deliberatley) not at 100%.

If it's just to smash new or less skilled players though, I rekcon that's just mean.

Misery

Pro Squid
NNID
Xijara
I would use it to test weapons; as turd war is a joke at best.
It often isnt a joke to others though, which is the whole issue. Most people that do smurfing in any game NEVER think of this (as it's never just done in ranked matches, and tends to be just as frequent in non-ranked modes). It ruins the experience that other players in the same match are in there for. And no, the "it's only 3 minutes long" excuse doesnt fly, either, before someone says it. Often people only have time for a couple of matches at best. If those couple of matches are ruined by smurf players (which happens more than often enough in this game, as in most others), that's their whole time with the game for the day completely down the drain. It can also cause players to quit the game entirely and forever, after it happens enough times. I've seen THAT one happen way too often with a number of games. Frustration will do that. After all, why continue with a game that's causing frustration of that sort on a regular basis?

Besides... there's just no reason to do it. It's not like Turf War is ranked.... just go into the bloody mode with your normal account, is what I always want to shout at anyone doing this. Followed by wanting to throw something at them, but as I cant send something through the TV, I dont.

And of course done in ranked mode, it's even worse.

Drez

Pro Squid
NNID
neokrw
You'll need to elaborate on why it's worse in ranked mode, because I like using an alt simply to practice new weapons in ranked. Plus they get to face/play with someone who is higher skilled. Why always think of the negative, it could be a fun experience for the others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom