Sniping practice...

Lucca

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Tactition_Grima
I know I said I would never touch a sniping weapon, but right now i'm lying to myself and trying to snap my snipes in practice(though I never use them in ranked or turf). Does anybody else do this?
EDIT:I finally got to A- after a gruesome battle

mm201

Senior Squid
NNID
kaizo201
It might not be the best practice, but what I do is use the Inkling Girl amiibo missions to brush up my charger skills, especially the Octoling levels.
I did this on my alternate account and it's actually very effective. There's lots of places to snap and situations which require jump snipes, so it's great practice.

Zahntavier

Senior Squid
I have a game I play warming up with Kelp Splatterscope. Throw a sprinkler down in front of the 4 dummies on the 2nd level of the testing area.

Then wait and quickly splat any dummy that takes a sprinkler damage. Its around 30 points of damage so this is a good way to practice half-charged shots.

Advanced levels:

-Always be swimming around until you emerge to take the shot, to practice quick aiming from different positions.

-Only flick snipe, ie try and get the hit in the middle of a quick snap to the left or right, without pausing to aim.

sammich

Inkling Cadet
-Only flick snipe, ie try and get the hit in the middle of a quick snap to the left or right, without pausing to aim.
unless they're in the air :v
the limited mobility means you can pretty much follow them with the reticle, which is pretty refreshing.

they can still move a little bit though? so don't really do it in a serious match.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
I allmost always use simple drag sniping(charging, moving the pointer from a wall to the target and then shoot) or peeking(standing behind a wall, then charge and move out of cover to quickly pop someone), as i personally find flick snipes to be too unreliable and punishing if you do it wrong. Plus, with lag involved means that the enemy will take a while before they actually see the laser pointing at them. I only really flick snipe at the testing area to practise my aim.

But hey, if it works for you that's allright. Just my two cents

Zahntavier

Senior Squid
I allmost always use simple drag sniping(charging, moving the pointer from a wall to the target and then shoot) or peeking(standing behind a wall, then charge and move out of cover to quickly pop someone), as i personally find flick snipes to be too unreliable and punishing if you do it wrong. Plus, with lag involved means that the enemy will take a while before they actually see the laser pointing at them. I only really flick snipe at the testing area to practise my aim.

But hey, if it works for you that's allright. Just my two cents
My sprinkle game is all about loosening up and quick reactions.

Ideally, as a charger you're in a safe place, and can take the second to line up and take your shots. This is where the safer methods mentioned above come in (dragging or hiding your line). I would say the majority of my released charges fall into this category.

But...there are moments when you get flanked, or when another (better?) target appears while your charging your shot, or maybe all you enemies are quick to get evasive as soon as they see a charger line.

Being able to quickly intuit where to aim and snap your reticle over quickly is a valuable (albeit, less often utilized) skill for charger players to have.

sammich

Inkling Cadet
rather than flicking left/right, the most consistent way for me is to aim towards the ground and then lift smoothly/gradually (though still relatively quickly) towards the horizon.

this can also be combined with hopping to get a slight but quick & consistent height boost.

there are also times i hold out the thread towards enemies to see how they react? usually with people who are hard to hit, like sploosh-o-matics and brushes ...which... speaking of, what do you guys do to hit those quick diving and/or weaving targets? do you have any tips?

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
there are also times i hold out the thread towards enemies to see how they react? usually with people who are hard to hit, like sploosh-o-matics and brushes ...which... speaking of, what do you guys do to hit those quick diving and/or weaving targets? do you have any tips?
If someone is coming straight at you trying out complex manuvers, they usually fall in a pattern (left-right-left-right) and i usually align my shot at their previous location and watch them run straight in my shot.

The more complex examples would be the ones who try to mix it up, which is where it gets hard. If you cannot reliably shoot at the target, try swimming away. People like this are usually very preoccupied with taking you down, you can safely retreat in your own territory and usually the enemy will follow you straight in hostile territory and get stuck. It wastes some of your time but ultimately it's a far better alternative than getting splatted.

Nousha

Full Squid
NNID
NoushaKhanom
@Lucca Ok, here's some advice from an S ranked E-liter 3-K Scope.

I normally do what @Elecmaw does with the drag/snipe since I personally find it MUCH more reliable. Often times it's still possible to snipe by hiding your laser under, since I find snap/snipes much more reliable down/up way compared to turning it right/left.

Work on your aim in general (boi you better be using Gyro) and I recommend max-sensitivity. What I did at first is just take a basic charger (no scope) and practiced turning my aim half-circles/forward and behind around me in the shooting range. I did this to build the muscle memory to just get the hang of 'how much do I have to turn the game pad to get this change in aim?" @ThatSrb2DUDE made a GREAT video on using motion controls, which I highly recommend. After that, I practiced getting the muscle memory for 90 degree turns. I stood in a way where there was a dummie directly left/right of me and one ahead, and just practiced shooting both consecutively to get used to making quarter-circle turns.

From there, I practiced smaller increments. I thoroughly dislike it as a weapon in battle but I use a rapid blaster and practice moving my aim steadily from one dummie to another, sometimes back and forth, just to build that confidence. I can give you other tips if you'd like but this worked for me.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
@Nousha, So you're a max sensitivity charger as well? That was how I started, but the recommendation is to bring it down (and maybe work up). Personally I'm starting to get annoyed with -x sensitivity because it seems so slow on a shot and have to adjust with the analog. I feel so sluggish. Especially when using a faster charger like a Squiffer or Bamboozler.

Skoodge

Brella Aficionado
Switch Friend Code
SW-2149-6955-3787
I would firstly suggest finding another person, or preferably 3 other people to play online with, so that you can practice in matches with less stress. Really just any practice is good, I have played Custom E-Liter and have 500k ink with it, and it is about 1/2 solo, 1/2 team with the weapon. You should definitely use the practice room to practice horizontal and vertical snaps, and jump shots. You can also use the ramp for peek shots.

Before using Custom E-Liter I used Kelp Scope a lot, so maybe practice using the shorter charges, then transition to longer range if you want. Really find whatever charger you want to use, or like to use. Then start with turf war, then transition to ranked. You could even make an alt account, I did that, and got to S+ using only chargers, which really only took me ~12 hours. These kind of challenges are really helpful, even if it takes you weeks/months to get to your current rank, you will gain a lot of knowledge on the weapons.

I find the more I play the more things like snapping shots, or peeking seems to come naturally, so I can mainly just suggest that you get a lot of experience over anything else. There is no magic way to get better at charger, but watching other good chargers can be extremely helpful. I am considering doing charger/splatling training sessions with people this summer, since many people seem to want help with these weapons, and I know a lot about good technique, and seeing people's small errors, maybe doing like a "zero to hero" kind of thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom