So how's everyone liking the mini splatling?

aqua46

Inkling Cadet
I think it's ok. I normally main the big-daddy splatling, and i miss the range. from what i've played, the mini doesn't do it for me, and to use inkzooka to get my range back for a few seconds doesn't really cut it for me. In tight quarters or claustrophobic firefights, it's just a hail of ink with explosions following. but for everything else... i don't know. I'd take longer charge time for longer ink shower, opposed to the rush in with a rapid fire charger. I just feel i can out perform it with a splash-o-matic and some maneuvering.

How has everyone elses' experience been? do you use the mini in creative ways?

Mr. Kibbles

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Script_Raider
The mini splatting looks like a big disappointment from what little I've seen of it (I haven't had the chance to set up my WiiU again after moving to college, so I've yet to try it out).
It's a mini variant of a weapon that's primary appeal was ink coverage, suppressing fire, and a strong counter to squelcher type weapons and all of the close range weapons if you could keep your range advantage.
The mini has...
1) A full charge that is quick but only last about as long as a single ring of charge from the heavy splatling with a similar amount of ink coverage.
2) A large amount of ink consumption which cant be controlled like the heavy splatling because you will be using the full charge almost all the time.
3) A range that makes it inferior to squelchers and puts you closer/equal to the range of .52 and .96 gal... which means you'll either loose to the opponents superior distance or your going to get torn up by popular weapons that will kill you in a few shots.
... Maybe in ranked mode it's decent, but I'm just going to sit back and laugh at all the people calling it OP right now - many of which I noted were people that didn't get what the heavy splatling was meant for to begin with, so it's no surprise that the variant that acts like a gatling in name only is gaining some popularity. Its kind of like how shotguns usually get butchered representations in video games. We want to believe that they are not capable of range combat, but if you see footage of the real thing you'll start to laugh at game logic.

Friendan

Pro Squid
NNID
xdbrendanxd
It's probably the Roy/Mewtwo/Lucas of Splatoon right now. A lot of people are saying it's super good/OP/whatever, but in reality it's like just average (except Mewtwo, who was "okay" but then turned out to be one of the worst characters).

JonCharles

Inkling
It is overshadowed by the Tentatek in most ways, while barely outranging it. IMO, it needed range competing with the .96 and Splat Pro to be a viable pick over the Tentatek.

JonCharles

Inkling
On a second run of using this weapon, I have to say that it is better than I thought. A big reason is that it is fantastic at building special, which happens to be the amazing inkzooka. It spreads ink like a champ, where the normal splatling charge time becomes a hindrance. It seems like it could mesh very well in competitive teams, at the very least for inkzooka abuse.

Volty

Inkling
So with 20 ranked wins with this under my belt I can say that it's pretty good. It spreads ink really well, builds special extremely fast and is pretty mobile. The best part is the charge time though and its accuracy. I found it good for splat zones specially since from a vantage point you can snipe people pretty easily while also not belong locked into one place because of slowness. I think it's not the best or worst, but its for sure not bad.

aqua46

Inkling Cadet
Sounds good. So how would a standard splatling/squelcher user get accustomed to it? I'd like to give this weapon another chance, but if I'm not playing ranged w/ maneuverability, I'm using very short range for quick speed. That middle ground is kind of awkward for me.

Also, what's the sub/special on the next one? I'll probably give it a go when another set comes out.

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
Sounds good. So how would a standard splatling/squelcher user get accustomed to it? I'd like to give this weapon another chance, but if I'm not playing ranged w/ maneuverability, I'm using very short range for quick speed. That middle ground is kind of awkward for me.

Also, what's the sub/special on the next one? I'll probably give it a go when another set comes out.
You play it somewhat similarly like a regular gun, rapidly charge it and fire for some good ink spread. Try to stay in your optimal range around foes, but abuse the splat power by playing offencively.

Next one, the Zink Mini Splatling, comes with Disruptors and Bubbler. Personally, it sounds much better.

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
I've had quite a bit of fun with the weapon, as someone that had absolutely no fun with the Heavy Splatling. It's essentially replaced the Octoshot for me in my Tower Control set (which contains just enough run speed to suppress any slowdown while charging, as well as two ink recovery mains).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom