So I'm stuck at A-/A... An update.

Lyka Phoxx

Full Squid
NNID
Pheodus
It's been a while since I posted a thread here (I'm outta salt atm, if we're being honest).

For those who may have missed it, *in an announcer's voice* on the last episode of "Help, I'm Stuck on a Rank, Because I AM F***ING USELESS!!!":

I was stuck going in between A- and A Rank and had hit a wall. You can find further details here: https://squidboards.com/threads/so-im-stuck-at-a-a-w-specifics.31947/

Well, first of all, thank you for the brilliant responses, needless to say that I have since been to get over that wall. I intended on posting this a month ago when I hit my first S-rank (Jan. 18 to be precise in SZ.), but real life was nudging at me. My current stats/specs are below.

As you can see I still have the Squelcher Dualies, but have started playing more of a support role using my point sensors to score assists, since they seemingly started counting recently. I've replaced most of the abilities I had no need for with :ability_specialcharge:. It is now my main weapon for Tower Control and Splat Zones exclusively. I have now completely dropped the Forge SS Pro, which sucks because I loved that weapon, in favor of the N-Zap 89 for Rainmaker and start playing a more Aggro style with it. Here are my current specs now in addition to the image below:

Other Mains: :wst_shot_quickmiddle01: (Rainmaker); :wst_roller_brushmini00:(Clam Blitz)

Abilities (Both Modes):
Head::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain:
Clothes: :ability_swimspeed::ability_inkrecovery::ability_swimspeed::ability_inkrecovery:
Shoes: :ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:

So now I ask if there is any more I can do going forward as I tread towards S+ for all modes? Any other advice or suggestions that you would like to offer to help me become better? I would greatly appreciate it and, once again, Thanks.

IMG_0066[1].PNG

AllToonedUp

Inkling Cadet
To be honest, all those Ink Saver Main/Ink Recovery Up isn't necessary for the weapons that you use and I'd invest in Run Speed Up which makes you much harder to hit. (Minus Inkbrush which is fine with your current setup)

And I would still use Forge Pro because it's still a good weapon with Bubble Blower, but Dualie Squelchers are still good too. Another piece of advice is since you're focusing on playing support, you should prioritize with the objective and denying people from covering the zones/getting on the tower/getting the rainmaker/walking to your base with the power clam rather to go reckless and getting greedy with kills which is most people's problem in ranked and to keep pushing until the end. You never know when overtime can happen and it can cost the other team their game.

BBGrenorange

Inkling Cadet
If you're playing aggressively with the N-Zap, I'd run some ink resistance and bomb defense.

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
What does it look like when you're playing aggressive with the Zap? Like do you just try and do base raids all the time or pushing mid all the time or what? Are you just searching for kills no matter where they are on the map? Also consider your movement. The key to being a good aggressive player is being evasive and having good aim so you can punish people really fast yourself. All too often in lower ranks you'll see people just holding ZR and walking forward which basically makes you as vulnerable as a beacon placed in mid. Some people (annoyingly) make this work somewhat with run speed up but they still swim around in their 1v1's to confuse their opponent and get the kill. The Zap is a lightweight weapon that's annoying to have to deal with when people use swim speed and run speed on it. In 1v1 situations the person who wins is the person with better movement and better aim. You can practice swimming and running around while locking onto targets at the same time with the moving dummies in the testing area but in a real fight you also have to consider who you're trying to kill or pressure and why it'll help. Just having a good sense of what you need to do in certain situations, which is why I would suggest you watch people on Youtube with guides and gameplay. Also there's plenty of great streamers on Twitch to watch. Listen to what they say and watch what they do and you'll get a better feel for the game.

J'Wiz

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JWiz
I ran into you a few weeks ago on my alt. It was The Reef in Zones, and you were using Dualie Squelchers. I'm not the best source, but I can try to give advice based on what I saw.

I didn't really feel your presence much at all. I recall seeing you once in one of the corner trying to fight off enemies. I think an issue for rising in the ranks simply might be not being bold enough. Sadly I can't give advice on being bold simply because it's an area I'm lacking in as well. Make your enemy say "I hate that Dualie Squelcher jerkface!".

One thing I'm trying right now is going into matches where I don't have much to lose, and just mindlessly jumping in the fray. It might not win you matches, but it should give you an idea of what actions will punish you, and what you can do to push. It also should help deal with hesitation.

Last edited:

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
I ran into you a few weeks ago on my alt. It was The Reef in Zones, and you were using Dualie Squelchers. I'm not the best source, but I can try to give advice based on what I saw.

I didn't really feel your presence much at all. I recall seeing you once in one of the corner trying to fight off enemies. I think an issue for rising in the ranks simply might be not being bold enough. Sadly I can't give advice on being bold simply because it's an area I'm lacking in as well. Make your enemy say "I hate that Dualie Squelcher jerkface!".

One thing I'm trying right now is going into matches where I don't have much to lose, and just mindlessly jumping in the fray. It might not win you matches, but it should give you an idea of what actions will punish you, and what you can do to push. It also should help deal with hesitation.
I agree with this. A problem a lot of people have in zones is just painting the zone and staying on their side of the map kinda just painting or waiting for someone to approach them. When you take the zone, force the enemy team to have to push through all of you to even get anywhere close to the zone. Don't make it easy for them. Dualie Squelchers are literally one of my least favorite weapons to deal with because they have so much range and can simply dodge roll back if someone gets too close. Keep people zoned away from the objective but on top of that if you see an opportunity for a kill - go for it. Keep up the pressure. You've got range to piss people off. You've got point sensors to keep people on their toes and reconsider their movement. You've got missiles to force anyone you want out of position. Pressure is the key to winning.

Lyka Phoxx

Full Squid
NNID
Pheodus
@J’Wiz In the case of The Reef, I tend to hang back to fight off flankers coming past the bridge since there is always one on most of the opposing teams I face that for some reason, possibly what you’re suggesting, always seem to get ignored.

But I do agree that I need to push more overall because I seem to have the same problem as before in depending on the other players make that push. I mostly push when it is clearly apparently that they overlooked the objective and they are too busy trying, and a majority of the time failing, to wipe the other team. I have won a surprising amount of TCs and RMs that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom