• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

So... The Inkbrush isn't viable?

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
The Inkbrush is my weapon of choice in Turf War. I can use it in Ranked, but it's not as effective there (except in Zplat Zones).

There IS that hilarious shock trick of hail marying the Rainmaker at top speed to the enemy pedestal under half a minute if you get lucky, but I need good teammates to attempt that with...

Nihabz

Banned (6 points)
I've been attempting to learn to do better at the game in general. Unfortunatly there's very little I can do on my own, because I'm not a very smart person, low IQ and all. So I thought I'd try and join a group or squad, and lend what I can to them, while being taught how to play at the same time.

Unfortunately I've hit a snag. The only weapon I'm good with in the entire game (trust me, I've tried a LOT of weapons) is the standard Inkbrush, or to a lesser extent, the Ink Nouveau. Each group I've tried joining so far has said they don't want a support/Inkbrush player in their ranks. The only group that did accept me frequently ignores me. Whether this is because they know how awful I am at the game, or because of time zone differences, I can't say.

I don't know what else I can do in this regard. As it stands, I'm being beaten by C- players (I'm B rank), squidbagged at every opportunity, and worse besides. I can't improve without someone holding my hand through it, but I can't join any groups that could potentially help me either, due to my weapon choice. Do I just drop the brush and play with something I'm even worse with?
Then you should probably stop playing this game due to your claim of mental retardation. No wonder you picked the inkbrush as your main

Shalnark

Full Squid
Then you should probably stop playing this game due to your claim of mental retardation. No wonder you picked the inkbrush as your main
Mental retardation = an IQ of 70 or lower. It is possible to have an IQ higher than 70 while still having low-average intelligence.

@TheGreatGateway I think you should force yourself to learn any other weapon; nothing can be worse than the inkbrushes. You will probably go down in the ranks for a week or two but overtime you will surpass your current max rank.

Dolphoshi

Pro Squid
I agree that the inkbrush is a tougher weapon to learn but being a normal e-liter main (**** scopes), custom jet and a carbon roller deco, it's all about using the weapon strengths, the only way you are going to kill with an inkbrush is to flank them so splat zones and rainmaker are your best modes (tower control is much harder) I would cover as much of the area in ink as I can then have ninja squid so when they come though I attack from the side or be-hide them because if they are in your range there is nothing they can do to stop you, using sprinklers is great you just throw one on a wall and hide in your ink they will go after it (trust me) and then you flank and they die.

my weapon punishes people for attacking me outside their range your weapon will punish people for getting in your range

every weapon is viable I actually do very well with a hosslenose L-3 (burst bombs) just play to it's strengths if they catch you put your brush on the ground and get out of there and make new property (ie sprinkler) you are the short range king so attack at point blank range, and watch out for rollers, there are many guides that can help you on your way, so good luck and STAY FRESH.

Last edited:

mezzo

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ledyba
as an inkbrush main myself (typically the plain inkbrush or octobrush), i concur with everyone else that you should continue to give the ol' octobrush a spin for a while. the inkbrush/inkbrush noveau are very, very tactical weapons imo, while the octobrush has a lot more power and range, which allows you to be a tad more brash, while still having to be sneaky at the same time. plus, the octobrush is still faster than many other weapons, so it's not like your losing speed (which is one of the big draws to using an inkbrush). the octobrush was what taught me the mechanics of how to use the other brushes.

the inkbrush can have its frustrating moments (ESPECIALLY in ranked) because it takes so much practice to really get it to pan out for you in battle. if you're playing with randos (like i do), it can be hard to get a sense for the team dynamic, which is important with the brush because it is primarily a support weapon. knowing your team and their weapons is one way you can deal with this, because certain weapons come with certain behaviors along with them (shooters and rollers tend to be brash and aggressive, chargers stick to the hard-to-reach areas and lag behind their teams, etc.).

as for abilities i personally find useful, ninja squid to me is essential for this class of weapon, and also cold blooded (maybe stealth jump too, especially with the octobrush because you'll be using the super jump a lot). it's all about that stealth, baby. having a few strength ups and defense ups is also never a bad idea. i tend to use defense up more though, as it increases the amounts of hits you can take before you are splatted.

also, if you are still looking for an alternative to the inkbrush after this, the slosher is a great choice. that weapon can hold its own in a firefight, no problem. it also doesn't require a lot of aim either, which you said was one of your troubles (it's one of mine too lol).

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
I will say however, the Octobrush Nouveu will definitely be decent. The sub/special combination is quite awesome for it. Can never go wrong with Inkzooka and Splat Bombs. On such a close ranged weapon, it's actually not. . . Terrible and can for the most part do a decent amount of front lining if need be. It will definitely be the better brush to use because of its ability to play mind games with the different ranges it's capable of playing with.

TheGreatGateway

Inkster Jr.
NNID
DaxterD
as an inkbrush main myself (typically the plain inkbrush or octobrush), i concur with everyone else that you should continue to give the ol' octobrush a spin for a while. the inkbrush/inkbrush noveau are very, very tactical weapons imo, while the octobrush has a lot more power and range, which allows you to be a tad more brash, while still having to be sneaky at the same time. plus, the octobrush is still faster than many other weapons, so it's not like your losing speed (which is one of the big draws to using an inkbrush). the octobrush was what taught me the mechanics of how to use the other brushes.

the inkbrush can have its frustrating moments (ESPECIALLY in ranked) because it takes so much practice to really get it to pan out for you in battle. if you're playing with randos (like i do), it can be hard to get a sense for the team dynamic, which is important with the brush because it is primarily a support weapon. knowing your team and their weapons is one way you can deal with this, because certain weapons come with certain behaviors along with them (shooters and rollers tend to be brash and aggressive, chargers stick to the hard-to-reach areas and lag behind their teams, etc.).

as for abilities i personally find useful, ninja squid to me is essential for this class of weapon, and also cold blooded (maybe stealth jump too, especially with the octobrush because you'll be using the super jump a lot). it's all about that stealth, baby. having a few strength ups and defense ups is also never a bad idea. i tend to use defense up more though, as it increases the amounts of hits you can take before you are splatted.

also, if you are still looking for an alternative to the inkbrush after this, the slosher is a great choice. that weapon can hold its own in a firefight, no problem. it also doesn't require a lot of aim either, which you said was one of your troubles (it's one of mine too lol).
YES. Thank you for finally saying it. The Brush is a support weapon, and a good team is the only way to climb the ranks with it.

- In Tower Control, you'll never take the tower by yourself, nor can you be expect to hold it at all. You can only help your teammates approach the tower, keep pressure up and claim turf en route.

- In Splat Zones, there are too many ways for the enemy to ambush you if you try to take a zone alone.

- In Rainmaker, I've found the brushes strongest, but you need to prepare routes for your team ahead of time, and hope they follow you/use them. There have been too many games where I place beacons in ideal places the enemy can't reach/never spots, and my team has ignored them entirely.

Cold Blooded has been insanely useful for me; people start to chase me with Echolocators only to lose track of me and focus on a team mate instead. Then I can slap them. I found Stealth Jump isn't really a necessity for me since I place Beacons in obscure locations.

RayneTheSkunk

Inkster Jr.
The Inkbrush is one of my secondary weapons and I find it very satisfying to use. Now I only use the normal Inkbrush, not a big fan of the variants.

Theres two ways I generally like to play the inkbrush that I have found personally effective.
The first is to fight AROUND the battle. If the combat zone is a circle as a inkbrush user you are at the very edge of it. For example, lets say your team mate has the tower in tower control. The enemy's focus will shift to the tower. With the inkbrush's speed and ability to use a sprinkler as a distraction, this gives you the opportunity to move around the fight and behind the enemy. Once you are at their backs the ink brush splats incredibly effectively. You must know the range though because nothing is more disappointing than having the assassination and pressing the trigger just one centimeter to far away.

The other way is using the inkrbush's speed and sprinklers to harass an enemy. This method is more like just being incredibly annoying. The inkbrush is really good at engaging and disengaging an enemy. If you get really good at your movement you can practically dance around people. I find this method a lot harder to describe but you basically intentionally get noticed and draw their attention, maybe throw a sprinkler and then run away. Then you keep repeating the process and be a huge annoyance to the enemy team.

Its not easy but its satisfying.

karl childers

Full Squid
I can't improve without someone holding my hand through it
That's like the opposite of what you need to do to improve. Just play solo until you get the hang of the game. The less you rely on someone carrying you the more you can improve as a player.

TacoOfDestruction

Pro Squid
NNID
JD1973
This is basically what everyone else on this thread is saying but if you love a weapon use it, and then you'll surely get better with it. It doesn't matter what other people think, I've been told countless time that one of my main weapons, the rapid blaster deco is trash, but you stick with it until you become good enough with it to the point where its not trash, sure it might be harder than just using the 96 deco and winning with your op weapon, but where's the fun in that? If you like the inkbrush play the inkbrush, make it viable. Dont let your dreams just be dreams! Just do it!

Holidaze

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
dyngledong
This is basically what everyone else on this thread is saying but if you love a weapon use it, and then you'll surely get better with it. It doesn't matter what other people think, I've been told countless time that one of my main weapons, the rapid blaster deco is trash, but you stick with it until you become good enough with it to the point where its not trash, sure it might be harder than just using the 96 deco and winning with your op weapon, but where's the fun in that? If you like the inkbrush play the inkbrush, make it viable. Dont let your dreams just be dreams! Just do it!
I like this. Just follow your squid heart, and follow your squid dream kid, you're going to go a somewhat reasonable distance in this world.

chubbypickle

Inkling Cadet
every gun if viable with the proper gun composition on your team if you got a ink brush and 3 other short range weapons on a open map the odds are not good but if you 1 or maybe 2 short ranged mixed with good shooters you can stealth your way in and do your thang

Crimsoninkling

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
BramWildenberg
Are we talking about the weapon class or the specific weapon. If so, I get ambushed all the time by octobrushes. They swing ink way too fast. Even for my trusty Aerospray.

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
I've been using the Inkbrush and Octobrush during Ranked matches on my alternate account. These weapons are very hard to use well in a competitive setting. They often excel during Turf War but can be hard to use effectively during Ranked battles. However, they're not bad weapons. It just means they take a bit more skill and patience to master.

When it comes to the Inkbrush, the best mode for the weapon is definitely Splat Zones. Between the Sprinkler and Inkstrike, it makes a very good support weapon. It's power is dependent upon your team and how well your teammates can do but if your team is good, it will be a very good support member. You should definitely focus more on inking and having the zone covered than killing. Leave that to your teammates.

The Octobrush is good for both Splat Zones and Rainmaker. You do need a lot of ink to work effectively in and stealth is a very big factor. I don't think I could run these weapons in Ranked without Ninja Squid and Stealth Jump. The Octobrush has beakons to help get your team back into action and it's good for sneaking up on people as long as you've got ink to work with.

Holidaze

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
dyngledong
I've been using the Inkbrush and Octobrush during Ranked matches on my alternate account. These weapons are very hard to use well in a competitive setting. They often excel during Turf War but can be hard to use effectively during Ranked battles. However, they're not bad weapons. It just means they take a bit more skill and patience to master.

When it comes to the Inkbrush, the best mode for the weapon is definitely Splat Zones. Between the Sprinkler and Inkstrike, it makes a very good support weapon. It's power is dependent upon your team and how well your teammates can do but if your team is good, it will be a very good support member. You should definitely focus more on inking and having the zone covered than killing. Leave that to your teammates.

The Octobrush is good for both Splat Zones and Rainmaker. You do need a lot of ink to work effectively in and stealth is a very big factor. I don't think I could run these weapons in Ranked without Ninja Squid and Stealth Jump. The Octobrush has beakons to help get your team back into action and it's good for sneaking up on people as long as you've got ink to work with.
I also like this, but i have to add, that with brushes in ranked, your result is based on how much work you're willing to put in. I've used all three, now four (Yay new octobrush) in ranked. While you are a support weapon; covering ink, making paths, etc, moreso with octobrush, for me, flanks are the most important thing a brush can ever do.

Stealth Squid is important, but treat it like training wheels. To be honest, Stealth Jump shouldn't be used, in my opinion anyway. It's something that helps, but takes up a main ability that could be even more helpful. Besides if you run Vanilla octobrush, you want people to see you super jump, so you'll have someone to target when you land as a kraken. If it's too much then jump back. Same goes for Inkbrush noveau.

As for what modes you can use them for with best results. It's all of them, like i said previously, put in work and the results show. But, brushes generally have a hard time in RM, everyone's attention is not going to he on rainmaker, it's going to be dispersed arounf the field making sure they have ink to get the rainmaker where it needs to go. You are flanking tool, and as such you have to blindside the enemy for you to be effective for your team.

And most importantly, i do recommend trying abilities that either focus on you coming back from being splatted, i.e. special saver, quick respawn or comeback. Or abilities that have more effect as you are alive, Special charge up, dmg up or defense up. I personally run swim speeds to match the brushes orginal roller speed to get in and out quickly.

Last edited:

karl childers

Full Squid
I also like this, but i have to add, that with brushes in ranked, your result is based on how much work you're willing to put in. I've used all three, now four (Yay new octobrush) in ranked. While you are a support weapon; covering ink, making paths, etc, moreso with octobrush, for me, flanks are the most important thing a brush can ever do.

Stealth Squid is important, but treat it like training wheels. To be honest, Stealth Jump shouldn't be used, in my opinion anyway. It's something that helps, but takes up a main ability that could be even more helpful. Besides if you run Vanilla octobrush, you want people to see you super jump, so you'll have someone to target when you land as a kraken. If it's too much then jump back. Same goes for Inkbrush noveau.

As for what modes you can use them for with best results. It's all of them, like i said previously, put in work and the results show. But, brushes generally have a hard time in RM, everyone's attention is not going to he on rainmaker, it's going to be dispersed arounf the field making sure they have ink to get the rainmaker where it needs to go. You are flanking tool, and as such you have to blindside the enemy for you to be effective for your team.

And most importantly, i do recommend trying abilities that either focus on you coming back from being splatted, i.e. special saver, quick respawn or comeback. Or abilities that have more effect as you are alive, Special charge up, dmg up or defense up. I personally run swim speeds to match the brushes orginal roller speed to get in and out quickly.
Ninja Squid is actually pretty effective if you stack a bunch of swim speed ups. I've seen a lot of other skilled players use it too. As a player that always watches out for swim streams and knows the advantages of not having a swim stream, an enemy with Ninja Squid probably scares me the most.

I can't comment on Stealth Jump though.

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits

I think this entirely depends on how you're choosing to use the Octobrush/Inkbrush. There's different types of techniques that people can choose to use with the brushes. The way that you choose to use the brushes can largely affect which abilities are best for what you're attempting to accomplish. I have two sets that I run with the Octobrush Nouveau and they both work well for different roles. The first set I use with the Octobrush uses Ink Saver (Main), Damage Up, and Ink Recovery or Swim Speed. The second set uses Ink Saver (Main), Bomb Range Up, and Swim Speed or Ink Recovery. It works pretty well for me. ^.^

Ninja Squid isn't exactly "training wheels". It's actually an incredibly helpful ability to have. When I'm using the Octobrush, I'm often running a stealth set so my opponent doesn't see me coming. Ninja Squid gives me the ability to get up closer to people that I normally wouldn't be able to reach if they could see my trail. A lot of people in the higher ranks will keep an eye out for ink trails because they know that is an enemy, so your ink trail gives you away. When you're trying to set up ambushes, you can't afford to be seen by the enemy and Ninja Squid allows you to easily sneak past them. It's how I've managed to take back a lot of games for my team - both in Turf and Ranked battles.

I'm often using Stealth Jump for Splat Zones and Turf War. I'm more inclined to use Ink Resistance during Rainmaker and Tower Control as I find myself in enemy ink a lot more often. Stealth Jump can be good when you're using a close ranged weapon. If you're paying attention, you can kill people upon landing since they won't be able to see you coming. I've managed to take back a lot of games by jumping to a teammate and taking out the opponents because I landed behind them. Stealth Jump has a lot more use than people give it credit for.

I've actually found Rainmaker to be the easiest with the Octobrush. It's much better to use on larger stages like Triggerfish over smaller ones like Walleye but it's very helpful. Tower Control is the hardest with the brush but I'm also notoriously horrible at Tower Control. x)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom