• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

So the updates were all on the disc?

RadioactiveMoth

Squidibli
NNID
RadioactiveMoth
Doesn't bother me. Makes sense, really. As Splatoon is very community based, making new weapons and stages unlocked people play more makes the community more solidarity, and it keeps the game balanced.

Alus

Senior Squid
NNID
starsauce
And that makes it not on disk? Or are you saying that it's not content? I'm confused.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
And that makes it not on disk? Or are you saying that it's not content? I'm confused.
It's not straight up giving you things like maps and all or anything that functionally others don't have. You paid for a figure and you get to unlock skins and outfits that don't function any different from the ones already in the game. So it's really not the same thing as paywalling something exclusive like a map or a new weapon that's on disk.

Star

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Skywarp96
I don't mind, it makes the game last longer and makes it more interesting!
I agree, I kind of prefer what Nintendo choose to do. It will make the game last that much longer! I would be worried about getting bored of the game too soon, but knowing more content is getting unlocked makes me pretty excited.

I also agree with what TheMH said, it does feel a lot more lively this way. Seeing people so hyped up for ranked battles coming out was really cute and fun.

Boolerex

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Boolerex
Weird ; but like everyone said ; as long as it free...

RotomGuy

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RotomGuy
I do like this way of going about things. It makes these releases exciting. I was worried they would wait a lot longer, but with releases being frequent like this, updates are kept exciting and not too distant.

K7Sniper

Pro Squid
NNID
K7Sniper
The strategy guide lists a lot of upcoming things, so dunno what to think.

However, if they are unlocked via events, and they are free (like they have been so far), I have no issue with it. Just means they planned things out to make the game a bit more fun and interesting. Community getting fun things to do is a good thing!

Kelp Dome and Bluefin Depot are in single-player. I assumed they were gonna get tweaked for release since one's a maze and the other is Ridley-sized, but now I guess not.
Kelp Dome, like all the other multiplayer stages, appears as a stage in story mode.

Alus

Senior Squid
NNID
starsauce
Well who else "releases" free content?

I haven't heard of complaints about free content before on any other game.

Just wondering

Chi Chi

Inkling
NNID
ALiCEIIDX
I guess as long as it's getting ahem, fresh content to keep the game going, it's fine by me. Being a new IP, they want this to sell well and potentially move some consoles (i've seen people buy a WiiU just for Splatoon already). So an influx of new content right now is probably going to work in their favor, however i expect it to slow down a little right now while they tinker with things and such. We'll see though, you never know with Nintendo

JuddTheCat

Inkling Cadet
It's nice like this. You get something new randomly, keeping the game...Fresh? Haha.

Mayday

Row, Row, Fight the Power!
NNID
MaydayBelieves
Nintendo is a weird company

Pivi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
HeroPivi
MK8's online has been having large dips in its playerbase until the DLC packs where people came back en masse for new content, since we're in between DLC packs more and more people are putting MK8 down.
With this constant stream of regular updates, nintendo is giving people more stuff to do so they keep playing the game, just when you get bored, another stage, weapon or mode comes out.
It'd be one thing if we had to pay for it but literally everything is free, I honestly can't find an issue.

Ryuho

Pro Squid
NNID
FurryRyuho
Honestly whether it's "free" or not, them intentionally holding back stuff to arbitrarily tell us when we're allowed to use doesnt sit well with me. I like when companies actually do support their products and keep adding stuff in but if this is on disc that isnt what this is. :/

Ness

Full Squid
NNID
Awkw4rdAss4ssin
Ultimately, this is a really subjective matter.
This is either going to really bother you or not at all. I'm personally echoing the belief that it's fine if we don't have to pay for it, but it is strange to see Nintendo funnel us this content. It really seems like Nintendo is a control freak at times, because they are.

IxaVerse

Senior Squid
NNID
Uselessguy12
In my opinion it's kinda like Animal Crossing where all the content in the game is locked but playing it over time rewards you with something new.

Ryuho

Pro Squid
NNID
FurryRyuho
In my opinion it's kinda like Animal Crossing where all the content in the game is locked but playing it over time rewards you with something new.
While that is good for that style of game I really dont believe it works here. Especially since the things being held back here are holding back map and weaponset variety. Which can oftentimes have the opposite affect of what it's supposed to be doing

LancerStaff

Inkling Cadet
I really don't care so long as I get it free sometime. Don't really mind having modes locked since randoms Turf Wars was going to be the main mode anyway, and they're right about the "people enjoy/understand what's there more" when we start with a few and gradually have them added. It's like grinding out a character or level in another game, although I'm good enough to pace myself.

The game was made by the Animal Crossing guys though. They want people coming back every day instead of beating it all at once. Like Mario Kart for example, people just beat all the cups, play online a few weeks and drop it. Not wanting a game designed specifically for PvP to die out quickly, they added little play every day features and an equipment system that's heavily time-consuming to maximize. The result is that the average person plays less a day, but for many more days. The whole "gradually add content" business model is proven to be quite effective as Minecraft has shown. It's a unique way of doing things, and Nintendo is a company I'd trust with this with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom