So Tired

desdamonna

Inkling
ok let it be said that I am an avid gamer of many platforms - I an not a noob and know what I am talking about.

With that said - I am sick of seeing an entire lobby of 50s other than myself and occasionally one other person in a lobby for regular battles.

At this time in the games life cycle there are enough level 50s that they should have regular battle with just level 50s in them .

This would make it easier for the lower levels to actually level - I have been in my 30's for months because the 50s on my team just run around doing the crappie (flopping on the ground) while the other team slaughters us ...it is not even competitive - or they run around shooting their guns in the air - again just because you are 50 does not mean the rest of us would not like to get there.

So since the numbers are there it honestly would be nice - like many other games do - have a level based regular battles
for example:
Level 1-25 (as these are the easiest levels to get)
Level 25-35
Level 36-45
Level 45-50 (these are the hardest to get)

This would now make it more enjoyable to go against people of the same level and allow the lower levels to actually move forward. This would improve the games flow and overall enjoyment factor.

I know there are going to be trolls answering this thread...get a life and give only constructive feed back.

**also I do not want to hear whining about match load times for level based matches - they can fix that too just as easily. I would gladly wait a little longer to play with people my level. Ranked battles are a joke, so do not even get me started on those.

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
I don't run into too many trolls or level 50s squid partying (the flopping you were referring to), but I agree on a key point, namely keeping battles between players of similar levels, if possible.

Someone can correct me, but once a player hits level 5, they will no longer be put into the lower level lobbies, and will now battle all other players, right? If so, that is pretty ridiculous, and we all know what happens when a level 7 is tossed into a full lobby of 50s. At the very least, players 10 and under should have their own lobbies. Going further, I would extend that to level 15 or 20 if given the power to make such a decision. Create a simulated launch window experience for newer players, giving them proper experience to battle with veteran players.

After that, I think limiting lobbies any further would be pointless. By level 20-25, a player knows how to use some of the weapons proficiently enough, unlike say, a level 5 player fresh from the new player lobby. Either way, some serious reform to who joins lobbies at what level would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Oh look, more vindication for my cordial loathing of squid parties :D

Turf war matchmaking is probably lenient by design. Who cares about level, rank, or loadouts, throw them in a match so people can play GO GO GO! Hero of Lime has some good ideas, but that would extend the wait time for a match to begin. Yes, that IS a problem, matchmaking isn't solved as easily as people think it is since EVERY game has this problem, and Splatoon in particular is marketed to kids who aren't known for their patience.

Mr. 9

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
interesting_deal
First off, welcome to SquidBoards!

So this brings up the mysterious topic of how match making actually works in Turf War, and I’m interested to here everyone’s views on this. I tend to think that there is a hidden ranking metric for TW that is used to measure your skill and match you with opponents of similar skill. For example, when I first created an alt account to practice alternate weapons I was initially matched with noobs, but I blew the out of the water (I was trying to get to level 10 so I could play ranked…) and the game started putting me in with level 50s by the time I hit level 4-5 or so (can’t remember exactly). Others have had similar experiences I think. The point is, if this is true, then maybe Splatoon decided your TW skill was on par with level 50s and that’s why you are put with them. So the obvious question then is how to YOU do in your matches? If the answer is good or OK maybe that’s what’s up. There isn’t anything you can do about squid partiers but if your team gets slaughtered but you still did OK then there isn’t any reason to put you with lower levels.

On the other hand, I wonder what the level distribution across the remaining players is at this point in the game’s lifetime. Maybe there are just way more 50s than anything else which increases the probability of you getting paired with them. Maybe that’s why I saw them when my level was still so low on my alt. That would be in line with what Hero of Lime said.

Finally, why the shade for ranked? If you really want to get to level 50 you’ll do it a heck of a lot faster playing ranked matches since you get more experience points for a win.

Smashling79

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Linkmaster3000
I understand where you're coming from. This is probably a common response on these boards nowadays, but maybe all the players who just played this game for the fun of it quit and moved onto other games like Overwatch or are spending countless hours roaming around outside playing the extremely hot Pokemon GO right now. (Which I'm still acting like a salty Canadian about since I have to wait to get it.)

Also with the news of the last Splatfest coming up, players who just recently got this game or who were thinking about getting it probably thought thought "damn....I should have gotten this game earlier", and may have sort of shy'd away from Splatoon.

Of course this is just my opinion, and I know thousands of people still play Splatoon. ;)

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
Personally I don't think level matters much, especially since really new players can also destroy level 50s sometimes. Even then, a better matchmaking system depending on your skill level would be great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom