• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

So we do not have chat, how then can we incorporate strategy? Solutions?

BluEyes

Senior Squid
My solution would be a text chat and predefined messages like:

1) Im taking low ground
2) Im taking high ground
3) Danger! sniper!
3) Need help !
5) Go! I will cover you!
6) Lets flank him!
7) My special is ready!
8) Get out of here!

Protox

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ProtoxFox
For ranked? yea handy. useless for regular battle since its pretty much for fun. if you actually give a **** about regular, join a friend and use skype

iTwAsLucK

Semi-Pro Squid
Well whenever I'm about to rush the enemy and I have teammates nearby I make sure to mash the come on message. More often then not they follow me in.... so I can definitely see the merit in a few more messages.

Assuming we keep it on D-pad, that means we have 4.

1. "Come on / let's go / follow me" seems good.
2. "Special ready" also seems informative (though you can literally see when people acquire their specials, so it might become redundant).
3. "Enemy spotted / beware" would be a good addition for communicating quickly.
4. "Fall back / retreat" just to round things out.

Though #2 could easily be swapped out for something else more important... perhaps "booyah"?

NicoNico

Inkling
NNID
MseaCreasy
I really hope the devs add in text messages. My team blew a 100 point lead in splatzones on saltspray rig. We lost 3-2 in overtime. There was an enemy hiding in the back corner, thus acting as a spawn jump point. I was the only one who knew it :(

They should replace the current text messages on the d-pad. Those messages are stupid. Text messages should also be displayed on the gamepad.

Alecat

Full Squid
NNID
alecatmew
I'd like a "Pay attention to the objective" call of some kind, to get people to knock off their spawn camping and actually help out on the Point or covering turf.

I'm a bit on the fence about how clear the text commands need to be. With limited slots I'd like text commands to be ones that can serve multiple purposes but whose meaning still remain clear based on context - for example, something along the lines of "Stay away" which could be used near the start of the game to encourage splitting up AND later on in the game to discourage players from squid-jumping to you.

However the current command "To me" is too ambiguous. It's problematic because sometimes you just want your team mates to move with you, more often they'll take it as a queue to squid jump in.

Ultimately everyone is going to have different interpretations of what the calls mean. "C'mon" is even worse than "To me". By adding more commands they open up more opportunities for people to get frustrated at their teammates not understanding their attempts to communicate. Seems like they're scared of that scenario hence the relatively benign options that we've been left with.

Crucifigo

Pro Squid
NNID
Crucifigo
my strategy is AAAAAAAAA DON'T PUT A SPLASH WALL THERE WHAT THE **** MAN OW **** A ROLLER **** UR KRAKEN etc etc etc

1: INKMINE RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU GDI
2: help plz
3: move your arse
4: stop jumping there's a ****ing roller right here

But more kid-friendly than my hysterical screeching obviously.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
Since L is unused, we could fit 8 messages by adding L+d-pad combos.

Up: C'mon!
Down: Booyah!
Left: Help!
Right: Oh no!
L+Up: Move up!
L+Down: Retreat!
L+Left: Enemy ahead!
L+Right: Special ready!

Up: Stop superjumping.
Left: Stop superjumping.
Down: Stop superjumping.
Right: Stop superjumping.
Actually it might not be a bad idea to have a signal like "Okay, coast is clear, NOW you can superjump."

BluEyes

Senior Squid
i like the L and direction buttons pairing. Id like to add "Inkstrike here!" with input on the touchpad to select where you want your team to land the inkstrike. This would be awesome because sometimes you see what your team have not.

iNinja5567

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
iNinja5567
I want pre-set messages, so Splatoon will stay clean. But we do need better messages than Booyah. By the way, has anyone noticed that you can say Booyah after you die, but gou can't say come on?

Alecat

Full Squid
NNID
alecatmew
I want pre-set messages, so Splatoon will stay clean. But we do need better messages than Booyah. By the way, has anyone noticed that you can say Booyah after you die, but gou can't say come on?
That's because "Booyah" is the translation for "Nice", and you might still want to cheer on your teammates after you're dead. "C'mon" is the translation for "To Me" which would make no sense to say when you're dead.
(Note: PAL players get the more literal translations, so that's what they see when you use the calls)

K7Sniper

Pro Squid
NNID
K7Sniper
I do wish there were more text options available, that's for sure. Perhaps either let them choose which ones for the D-pad, or perhaps give the options on the touch screen. Perhaps the ability to ping the map, but then that would lessen the usefulness of some of the perks and abilities on gear.

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
Considering there's a touchpad, there could totally be a ping system. I mean, seriously, just tapping a point and a show ping on the Wii U pad would make better use of it's touchpad, force people to look at the map once in a while and give a better advantage in communication.

For those unfamiliar, it would be something like poking the touchscreen for reasons unrelated to superjumping. Maybe holding L and touching the screen would highlight the area on the map for allies and also making a quick noise to get their attention.

I mean, bad teammates could still ignore it, but it seems useful and multipurpose to me.

Alecat

Full Squid
NNID
alecatmew
"To Me" does ping the map, but unfortunately only in your current position. And half of the time, by the time you're in a safe enough spot to look down at the gamepad the ping has evaporated.

Siggykewts

Inkling
NNID
Siggykewts
I would love a PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE DON'T SUPERJUMP TO ME YOU ARE GOING TO DIE button. :)

CrazyDude

Pro Squid
Up: Everyone,get in here! ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Down: Retreat
Left: Beware
Right: Rekt

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom