• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

So what happened to ninja squid?

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
i would totally use ninja squid again, even with the swim speed nerf, if they did this. as an octobrush, a lot of my time is spent hiding in walls.
Hanging on walls, swimming along walls, jumping from wall to wall (e.g. Port Mackerel)--wish more maps had more inkable walls. I definitely support having Ninja Squid also apply to walls. I would dig it out more readily, match it up with Swim Speed Up and Ink Resistance, and call my sessions Splatoon's Creed.

TeaBee

Inkster Jr.
NNID
BuzzyTeaBee
Hanging on walls, swimming along walls, jumping from wall to wall (e.g. Port Mackerel)--wish more maps had more inkable walls. I definitely support having Ninja Squid also apply to walls. I would dig it out more readily, match it up with Swim Speed Up and Ink Resistance, and call my sessions Splatoon's Creed.
Ninja Squid, the Stealth Camo of Splatoon. :U

CM86

Pro Squid
The last couple weeks I have actually seen quite a bit of ninja squid in ranked. It genuinely surprised me because I have not seen it in awhile. Unfortunately, I was never like, "where are they at?" because everybody moves around so fast and frequently that I could always get a general idea of where they were. This is in S rank by the way.

Xanjos

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Xanjos
Do you think it's the speed drop that keeps most people away?

When I use ninja squid I don't use other slots to negate the speed drop.
I always thought it would be better to increase something else rather then to bring your swim speed back to normal.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101

I always thought it would be better to increase something else rather then to bring your swim speed back to normal.
Yes. The speed nerf + the fact that echo/haunt/point sensor became meta and they hard counter your ninja squid. Why bother sacrificing that much mobility when you lose your stealth for 1/3 of the match?

I tend to run 1 main and 3 subs of swim speed with ninja squid because it brings me up to just about what I usually run in terms of swim speed on my non-ninja builds. It's just what I'm used to. I've seen people go without swim speed with ninja squid though, so I guess it depends on preference.

LupusFreak

Inkling Cadet
NNID
LupusFreak

For me, that isn't the issue. All you need is 2 subs of swim speed to get it close to normal speed, 3 subs is slightly over.

No, my problem is sacrificing a main slot for something that, as stated before, isn't too useful in the long run when the game is so fast paced that most of your actions are instinct and reflex.

Xanjos

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Xanjos
Yes. The speed nerf + the fact that echo/haunt/point sensor became meta and they hard counter your ninja squid. Why bother sacrificing that much mobility when you lose your stealth for 1/3 of the match?

I tend to run 1 main and 3 subs of swim speed with ninja squid because it brings me up to just about what I usually run in terms of swim speed on my non-ninja builds. It's just what I'm used to. I've seen people go without swim speed with ninja squid though, so I guess it depends on preference.
Having now used other things then ninja squid and adding swim speed I agree, I feel so fast now.

I think it can still be fun to use sometimes, but it will need a buff for people to start using it again regularly myself included.

Cuttlefish

...........Oops! I fell asleep!
NNID
tokkers
i used to use it with the carbon when i mained it, and then it was nerfed, and just fell out of the meta, and... yeah :(

i'm considering seeing if i can work it into an octobrush build, since being able to get as close as possible to your enemy is everything. i've come back to the meta after a while and i'm seeing a lot of potential in abilities i never used to care for before, maybe there's still a way to make it work?

if they buffed it to work in walls, i'd be happy. no idea why it doesn't work on walls to begin with?? like is there really any legit explanation for that? maybe before it was nerfed, but it was nerfed so early on...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom