So what's the verdict with Turf Wars being part of Splatoon Tournaments?

Helios42

Inkling
NNID
Helios4242
Also Turf war is different from a timed sport like basketball because your previous work gets erased. That, combined with it being timed, is what makes it somewhat arbitrary.

Helio

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
monkey.esq
@1o2 -Entire Match: many games have ending that don't reflect entire match at end. Soccer, football, a team can be completely dominant the whole game and then all hard work erased in last 10 minutes. That is almost a purposeful element of those sports that a lead can be usurped, with good play at the end. Soccer and hockey have penalty kicks which make the game decided after regulation, everyone doesn't like them but that doesn't make it not a sport. Or not fun to watch or play. TW doesn't have ties but that is essentially the element you are talking about, dominance for 60% of game erased in last one sixth of playtime. Like soccer and hockey you're not going to win in TW last minute push if you aren't near 50% at end.

@1o2- last 30 sec: really that analogy doesnt work because last 30 sec in TW is 1/6th of total, more like last ten minutes of another sport. So much happens in last ten minutes.

@Helios42 - Previous work erased: yes but why is it any different than scoring one point per basket and then erasing one of opponents. In TW your job is to make a strategy that keeps your gains and increases them in last 30 sec.

1o2

Inkling Cadet
TW doesn't have ties but that is essentially the element you are talking about, dominance for 60% of game erased in last one sixth of playtime. Like soccer and hockey you're not going to win in TW last minute push if you aren't near 50% at end.
Just to address the quote, most likely it the team will be near 50% by the end. The winning team should avoid overextending in Turf Wars as much as possible, so they just hold a chokepoint. Have you ever played the original Urchin Underpass? It's the perfect example of the problem in Turf Wars. The winning team would have no need to go much beyond 60%ish of the map, as they could just hold the chokepoint until the very end. Extending much further than that could easily mean the end, as it only takes 10-15 seconds to claim most of mid back. However if I held that 60% for 80 hours, or 1 minute was irrelevant, because only the last second claim mattered.

In Splatoon, the consistent rule in every other game mode is that you invest the same amount of time earning points as the other team, and you win by being able to invest more time or hold the objective for longer. Even in Rainmaker, if I push to 80, I still invested time to push it to 80. If the other team pushes it to 79 in the last 30 seconds, that's because my team either A) never got another opportunity to push, or B) decided to derp around and stall for 4 minutes straight. In Turf wars, the objective may be "ink all the turf" but it's really more like an entire map version of Splat Zones, where your true objective is to guard all the territory you claim. The problem is that you aren't rewarded throughout the duration of the game for guarding your territory for longer at all, in fact it only matters who had it in the end. It's like when a gym teacher was running out of time for the class, so he/she would simply say "Next score wins". Even if your team had been up by 2 points before that only point, the last score was the only one that mattered.

Turf wars would be significantly more competitive if it was about who had held a larger percentage of the map for longer. If my team had it for only 30% of the match, but we had more control at the end, we would play until we beat out whatever amount of time the other team did.

Irrelevant facts.
Nintendo made Turf wars the introductory and unranked game mode for a reason. I also will no longer be responding to this thread, as it's pretty much a waste of time at this point. I have my opinion and other squids have theirs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom