• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Solo Queue Ranked Discussion

ÇĦËF

Inkster Jr.
NNID
SW-4986-6175-120
I'm interested to hear other solo queue'ers opinions on Splatoon 2's ranked matchmaking system. As we all know, the matchmaking system for Splatoon 1 wasn't and i think still isn't very nice to those solo queuing, however i feel like it's gotten better in Splatoon 2. Don't get me wrong, it's still not a perfect system, I still get matches where one team's clearly better or just plain dominating the other the whole time (~50% of my games) and sometimes i really wonder what it's thinking with some of the matches it's thrown me. (Ex 3 rollers on one team vs a diverse team; putting C-'s in with the B-'s; multiples of one weapon on one side with none on the other; etc.) However, as a solo queue'er so far, I definitely feel like there's been more games where the teams are pretty evenly matched, i feel like there's been a lot less lagers in my games, and the wins/losses feel more satisfying overall (ESPECIALLY with the way ranking up/down works now, even allowing room for losses not to penalize you at all if you were the MVP that round). So overall I'd have to say it feels much better than the last game.

But that's my opinion, I'd like to hear more in the comments plz! Thanks for readin'.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
It's bad, and I don't like it. I want to be able to play with friends without the need for League Mode. I don't like being at the mercy of the team comp and skill of people I've never seen before. It's not fun.

Belial

Full Squid
I'm not terribly bother by it. I've yet to have anyone outside the groups letter grade and matches where I get decimated are rare enough. However I don't play it that much so i'm still C+ to B- in all ranks. I also don't have any friends with the game so no friend matching is meaningless to me.

ÇĦËF

Inkster Jr.
NNID
SW-4986-6175-120
It's bad, and I don't like it. I want to be able to play with friends without the need for League Mode. I don't like being at the mercy of the team comp and skill of people I've never seen before. It's not fun.
I gotta agree with you there, we should be able to play ranked without having to play league, that's not cool. However your complaint about being at the mercy of the system feels like a general problem for all solo queue'ers. (Trust me I don't like being pinned against a better team as well)
I'm moreover interested on what's your personal grips with the system/ your experience so far. Is it bad because of the random elements? Is it bad cause your teammates couldn't work togethor to save the match? Do you feel like you're always getting splatted alone trying to push but your teammates just don't? What's your personal opinions/complaints with it?

Reactions: Lyn

ÇĦËF

Inkster Jr.
NNID
SW-4986-6175-120
I'm not terribly bother by it. I've yet to have anyone outside the groups letter grade and matches where I get decimated are rare enough.However I don't play it that much so i'm still C+ to B- in all ranks

N o i c e. Glad to hear you're chill with it.

I also don't have any friends with the game so no friend matching is meaningless to me.
Same here with the friend matchmaking. But i'm sure that'll get fixed with time/meeting new people. (Or if you really want some friends you can hit up the Friend code thread on the splatoon 2 general chat front page)
Your choice tho. Power to you my dude.

mercenariez

Inkling Cadet
NNID
gamelo8018
It's a bit too easy to get into S+ imo. Your losses pretty much don't mean ANYTHING unless you get 4 cracks. That's kind of silly I'd say. I prefer the difficulty involved with Splatoon 1, even if it is more frustrating at times. At least you feel like you really accomplished something worthwhile.

I will say though that I'm glad D/Cs don't make you lose any points anymore. And now there's no more carrying players to S rank (thank goodness), so a lot of my teammates actually feel like they deserve the rank they're in.

On a side note, I would like to know the logic of Rank Skipping as it seems to utilize unusual factors at times.

Lyn

Premium
I gotta agree with you there, we should be able to play ranked without having to play league, that's not cool. However your complaint about being at the mercy of the system feels like a general problem for all solo queue'ers. (Trust me I don't like being pinned against a better team as well)
I'm moreover interested on what's your personal grips with the system/ your experience so far. Is it bad because of the random elements? Is it bad cause your teammates couldn't work togethor to save the match? Do you feel like you're always getting splatted alone trying to push but your teammates just don't? What's your personal opinions/complaints with it?
My main issues are having to rely on my teammates (which, by the way, since there's no voice chat it's virtually IMPOSSIBLE to coordinate with) to win games, and also the fact that the weapon composition of your team (VERY IMPORTANT) is completely random because of Solo Queueing. Being able to queue with friends and change weapons in lobby would simply fix 100% of my issues with it. I don't understand why it's not already like that...

ÇĦËF

Inkster Jr.
NNID
SW-4986-6175-120
It's a bit too easy to get into S+ imo. Your losses pretty much don't mean ANYTHING unless you get 4 cracks. That's kind of silly I'd say. I prefer the difficulty involved with Splatoon 1, even if it is more frustrating at times. At least you feel like you really accomplished something worthwhile.

I will say though that I'm glad D/Cs don't make you lose any points anymore. And now there's no more carrying players to S rank (thank goodness), so a lot of my teammates actually feel like they deserve the rank they're in.

On a side note, I would like to know the logic of Rank Skipping as it seems to utilize unusual factors at times.
Coolio. I definitely agree that it's a lot easier to get to S+ if you're an S+ kind of player now. However i must say that i don't feel the same on Splatoon 1's system. Especially because of the "Trap" ranks (C+~B-; B+~A)In which you can't escape unless you either get a squad or just get lucky to have a decent team, and due to the punishing system, its very hard to escape these traps. I'm glad Splatoon 2's "crack" system allows for easy recovery from bad luck.

Same here on D/C's, but i haven't gotten to any S+ in Splatoon 2 yet, So i'll take your word for it!

For the rank skipping, It's likely based on a ton of factors. Such as how many matches have you played total in the past? What rank are you? What rank are your teammates? What rank are your opponents? What was your K/D this match compared to others? How much objective progress did YOU make? All these things combined probably gives you an invisible "skill" level that the game uses to determine your appropriate rank with.

ÇĦËF

Inkster Jr.
NNID
SW-4986-6175-120
My main issues are having to rely on my teammates (which, by the way, since there's no voice chat it's virtually IMPOSSIBLE to coordinate with) to win games, and also the fact that the weapon composition of your team (VERY IMPORTANT) is completely random because of Solo Queuing. Being able to queue with friends and change weapons in lobby would simply fix 100% of my issues with it. I don't understand why it's not already like that...
Ah. Thanks for clarifying! And yeah i agree with all of it. However i do want to shed some light on 2 things.
Firstly with the voice chat situation; Nintendo will probably never admit it, but the real reason seems simply that they don’t want to encourage voice chat, because the conduct, and language, of the average online user interferes with their family friendly image, and as someone who's played multiple online games with voice chat, I can clearly see why they want to leave that option out especially since their target audience IS families/children. (Remember: even if you can mute the player, you can never unhear the words)

Secondly, for switching out weapons in game, (or just editing anything about your loadout in game), you'd need to set up additional item/inventory servers to keep track of EVERYONES items/weapons, stats n' all included! And that costs alot more money than you think, money that's been spent to improve ingame/match quality and create more servers for matches to be run on/played.
So basically you can't switch out weapons in the matchmaking lobby so that anywhere from 1-50 additional matches, which is anywhere from 8 - 400 more people can be playing the game online at the same time.

Lyn

Premium
Secondly, for switching out weapons in game, (or just editing anything about your loadout in game), you'd need to set up additional item/inventory servers to keep track of EVERYONES items/weapons, stats n' all included! And that costs alot more money than you think, money that's been spent to improve ingame/match quality and create more servers for matches to be run on/played.
So basically you can't switch out weapons in the matchmaking lobby so that anywhere from 1-50 additional matches, which is anywhere from 8 - 400 more people can be playing the game online at the same time.
I am certain about the first one, yeah. I do feel it would be very easy for Nintendo to work around this (have it off by default, have requirements for it to be on, etc; etc;) but that's a whole different discussion.

I don't think it's true they need anything more for lobby weapon switching, because it's already available in League Mode and in Splatfests. I have no idea how that all works but I'm pretty certain it's more of just having the functionality there in these modes rather than needing any extra servers or etc; hosting it.

ÇĦËF

Inkster Jr.
NNID
SW-4986-6175-120
I don't think it's true they need anything more for lobby weapon switching, because it's already available in League Mode and in Splatfests. I have no idea how that all works but I'm pretty certain it's more of just having the functionality there in these modes rather than needing any extra servers or etc; hosting it.
My best guess as to why the first ones true is that for league, that's them making the Competitive side better; it's just easier if a team can change weapons on the fly rather than have to have the specific members disconnect and reconnect interrupting the flow of matches, and for splatfests that's something that'll be confirmed tomorrow cause the only splatfest we had so far was the before launch one and that had only like 5 weapons available so very little extra was needed. either way it's up in the air as to why. (I do agree tho that it would be cool to implement that into normal play tho)

ProphetEyes

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ProphetEyes
Splatoon 1 was freaking broken. Everybody was S rank even though they didn't deserve to be, because they're friends just carrying them there. The new system makes you earn your rank and not let your friends earn it for you. I can't be the only one who thinks that this change is actually game-saving. League battles are the perfect solution to this problem.

ÇĦËF

Inkster Jr.
NNID
SW-4986-6175-120
Splatoon 1 was freaking broken. Everybody was S rank even though they didn't deserve to be, because they're friends just carrying them there. The new system makes you earn your rank and not let your friends earn it for you. I can't be the only one who thinks that this change is actually game-saving. League battles are the perfect solution to this problem.
Agreed, again I still haven't hit S rank, but i can still tell even in A- that there's more people that deserve to be there. And yeah that's definitely one of the biggest positives of the new system! Thx for sharin'!

ProphetEyes

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ProphetEyes
My main issues are having to rely on my teammates (which, by the way, since there's no voice chat it's virtually IMPOSSIBLE to coordinate with) to win games, and also the fact that the weapon composition of your team (VERY IMPORTANT) is completely random because of Solo Queueing. Being able to queue with friends and change weapons in lobby would simply fix 100% of my issues with it. I don't understand why it's not already like that...
I have to disagree with this. The enemy team is in the same boat as your team. They have to figure out how to work together as well. I don't see how a player being carried all the way to A+ 99 when they don't deserve it is good for the game or competitive community. If you don't like it, then get to B-, queue with your friends, and play for League Standings rather than ranks.

Hamachiカマ★

Full Squid
I assume you can no longer play with friends and have it count to avoid 'purposeful carrying.' In solo it's true some people are heavily carried and get lucky a lot but the people on their team aren't doing this on purpose, no one wants to lose.

Can't tell you how many god awful S+ players there were in the last game...

Also to make a mode that is solely to help your skill and get those coins, league battle seems pretty fair to me. I do understand playing with ransoms is hard, believe me I'd rather play with friends too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom