• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

[SOLVED]Alright. What's going on with the x5 brand ability chance?

techton

Senior Squid
Extremely frustrated and salty right now.

I've used up 2 swim speed drink tickets so far and I've only gotten 3 swim speed chunks from it all... with 3 three-slot Krak-On gear. Is this just really, really, really, really, really bad luck, or does this x5 brand ability bull not exist, with wikitrolls putting it on the Splatoon Wiki for laughs and giggles?

Honestly, I never thought getting perfect gear would be this much of a pain in the ***. I mean, if I was able to pay 20,000 coins to reroll the slots and if it actually seemed like the x5 thing was apparent, I'd probably already have 3 to 4 sets of perfect gear with different abilities.

Having Super Sea Snails as a requirement to add slots and reroll abilities and removing the optional 20,000 coin cost was a terribly bad move, Nintendo, especially because leveling up is so freaking slow now.

I need some help, please. I'm lost, and I don't really know where to go next. Gathering up 60 ability chunks just for a single piece of perfect gear is not my ideal way of playing and/or grinding.

Apologies for the salt and amateur rage.

Last edited:

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
Here's how sub abilities and drink tickets seem to work:

For a given brand, one ability is given a value of 10, one is given a value of 1, and all other abilities are given a value of 2. Because there are 14 abilities, this comes out to a total of [10+1+(12x2)] = 35
Let's say you're upgrading Krak-On brand clothing. Each sub slot has a 10/35 (28.6%) chance of being Swim Speed, a 1/35 (2.9%) chance of Bomb Defense, and a 2/35 (5.7%) chance of anything else.

Drink tickets appear to manually set one specific ability to 10, and this changes the overall total:

So again, using Krak-On as an example, if you used an Ink Saver Main drink ticket, you would have Swim Speed and Ink Saver Main as a value of 10, Bomb Defense as 1, and everything else as 2. [10+10+1+(11x2)] = 43

Your new probability of getting Swim Speed is 10/43 (23.3%), Ink Saver Main is also 10/43, Bomb Defense is 1/43 (2.3%), and everything else is 2/43 (4.7%).

If you use a Swim Speed drink ticket to upgrade a Krak-On brand piece of clothing, it does not affect the overall probability of receiving Swim Speed subs, because it already has a value of 10. You DO get 1.5x exp on your clothing, so it can still be useful to do this.

So the above spoiler was a running hypothesis I had, and although the numbers line up somewhat, it's incorrect.

As it turns out, according to dataminers, the drink ticket sets that ability at 30%. If you don't land in that 30%, then the game goes to its usual ability rolling with all the usual probabilities. Here's the catch though: if you land on the ability that's on the drink ticket then it won't allow you to have it and it'll roll again.

So for example, I use a Swim Speed drink ticket and start leveling my gear. On the first sub slot I roll a 25/100, so I get swim speed because this is within the 1-30 out of 100. For the second sub slot I roll a 50/100. The game does not set the slot to swim speed and instead rolls like it usually does. The ability it lands on is Swim Speed, so it rejects the outcome because this matches the drink ticket, and rolls again. It lands on Quick Super Jump and keeps it.

Sorry for misleading people with my speculations.
-----

So what should you do?

If you wanted to add unfavourable subs to a piece of clothing, drink tickets are the way to do it. I suggest grinding gear in Turf Wars until you get either 2 or 3 of the subs you want, then add the last with 30 chunks if necessary; 2 out of 3 is still usable until then.

If you want to add subs that are favoured by the clothing, drink tickets will not help the probability further (but do provide 50% extra exp).

If you want to farm chunks, you should equip one-star pieces of clothing (that you've upgraded to have 3 slots, because it still upgrades quickly) with a brand that favours one ability you want chunks for, and use a drink ticket for some other ability you want chunks for. E.G. Krak-On clothing and Ink Recovery ticket would give a 20/43 (46.5%) chance of receiving either Swim Speed OR Ink Recovery, making for efficient farming.

If you didn't want to farm chunks like this, I suggest doing a lot of Salmon Run. The clothing you discard winds up giving you a good supply of chunks, and if you want you can even go past the 1200 point mark and just keep getting more and more clothes. (Your Pay Grade goes up to like 450% or something, so you get plenty). On top of that, you get way more drink tickets than you'll ever want or need.

Last edited:

Wosie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
purpleWosie
Switch Friend Code
SW-7996-5480-4886

For a given brand, one ability is given a value of 10, one is given a value of 1, and all other abilities are given a value of 2. Because there are 14 abilities, this comes out to a total of [10+1+(12x2)] = 35
Let's say you're upgrading Krak-On brand clothing. Each sub slot has a 10/35 (28.6%) chance of being Swim Speed, a 1/35 (2.9%) chance of Bomb Defense, and a 2/35 (5.7%) chance of anything else.

Drink tickets appear to manually set one specific ability to 10, and this changes the overall total:

So again, using Krak-On as an example, if you used an Ink Saver Main drink ticket, you would have Swim Speed and Ink Saver Main as a value of 10, Bomb Defense as 1, and everything else as 2. [10+10+1+(11x2)] = 43

Your new probability of getting Swim Speed is 10/43 (23.3%), Ink Saver Main is also 10/43, Bomb Defense is 1/43 (2.3%), and everything else is 2/43 (4.7%).

If you use a Swim Speed drink ticket to upgrade a Krak-On brand piece of clothing, it does not affect the overall probability of receiving Swim Speed subs, because it already has a value of 10. You DO get 1.5x exp on your clothing, so it can still be useful to do this.

-----

So what should you do?

If you wanted to add unfavourable subs to a piece of clothing, drink tickets are the way to do it. I suggest grinding gear in Turf Wars until you get either 2 or 3 of the subs you want, then add the last with 30 chunks if necessary; 2 out of 3 is still usable until then.

If you want to add subs that are favoured by the clothing, drink tickets will not help the probability further (but do provide 50% extra exp).

If you want to farm chunks, you should equip one-star pieces of clothing (that you've upgraded to have 3 slots, because it still upgrades quickly) with a brand that favours one ability you want chunks for, and use a drink ticket for some other ability you want chunks for. E.G. Krak-On clothing and Ink Recovery ticket would give a 20/43 (46.5%) chance of receiving either Swim Speed OR Ink Recovery, making for efficient farming.

If you didn't want to farm chunks like this, I suggest doing a lot of Salmon Run. The clothing you discard winds up giving you a good supply of chunks, and if you want you can even go past the 1200 point mark and just keep getting more and more clothes. (Your Pay Grade goes up to like 450% or something, so you get plenty). On top of that, you get way more drink tickets than you'll ever want or need.
Very good and informative post. Thanks for taking your time!

techton

Senior Squid

-----

So what should you do?

Wow. Thanks for the info! Makes a lot more sense now why I'm not getting specific abilities. I'll try using Swim Speed drink tickets on Takoroka gear, since I need both Swim Speed and Special Charge Up chunks

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
I just wanted to necro this thread a bit to let people know that there's been more information regarding the mechanics of drink tickets, and the issue is solved. There were quiiiite a few people that +Liked my comment, and I didn't want to mislead people with wrong information. I've edited my above post to explain how it actually works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom