Some Recent Turf Grievances *Much Salt*

ZootFluteRiot

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ZootFluteRiot
I've been playing for a year and even do some competitive play, and I was wondering if some of the issues I am experiencing (seems to be only lately) have anything to do with lag, or maybe I'm not as decent of a player that I think I am. Maybe some of these issues can be answered by people that understand the more technical aspects of the game than I do, and maybe I don't be as salty about them.
  • Is the disbursement of team members seeming a bit off to people? I know it's totally random, but it seems almost ALWAYS on stages like Triggerfish and Moray Towers, I'm always on teams of all rollers while the opposing team has at least two chargers and we just can't seem to get beyond them. Maybe I just have the worst luck.
  • If two weapons of the exact same are charging at each other head-on at the exact same time with no advantages to attack up or defense up, why wouldn't both be splatted? Is it just lag? Or just luck?
  • I thought they fixed that if you are hiding behind a wall and someone shoots at it with an inkzooka and you got splatted. I find this is still happening to me. I don't keep up to date on all the technical aspects of the game, so maybe I missed something.
  • Am I just always on awkward teams? I know numbers don't justify being a good player and I believe I'm average at best. But I find that I am consistently on losing streak teams and while I may average between 950-1100 Turf Points (Before win bonus) while I won't have a team mate go beyond 600. I try to help my team mates as much as possible and will often sacrifice myself so that they can push forward, but no matter the efforts, it's almost always a complete blowout.
  • When you're in the middle of a blowout (For Example, on Saltspray Rig), and three of your team mates are focusing on the south end while you make an escape to the Northernmost sector. The enemy team doesn't seem to notice (And quite honestly, neither do your team mates), so you use the "Come On! / To Me!" buttons to signal maybe SOMEONE can come up to assist you and you can protect one another, but no one does and you eventually get found and splatted.
Thanks for any explanations you may have for some of these issues! Like I said, I'm not the most educated on the most intricate technical aspects of the game, so if I'm not getting something that can be explained, I'm grateful for that. I've been avoiding a bit of play recently because my right analog stick on my gamepad seems to go completely 360º if I just move the analog to the right even the slightest bit. I've tried recalibration and resyncing, using a toothbrush to see if anything is stuck in there, and using a can of compressed air to see if t's clean, along with the holding down A,B, +, - method and so far nothing has helped greatly. Should I call Nintendo, or just suck it up and purchase a new game pad?

Thanks, everyone!

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
  1. Weapon matchmaking is completely random in turf war and it previously was in ranked as well, but they fixed it so it's more balanced now in ranked, but not turf war (which sucks). like if there's two chargers (the sniper ones) in a match it never puts them on the same team and it matches the teams based on range. It's not perfect, but much better than random.
  2. Spread is also a factor in who wins a 1v1. Spread is essentially accuracy, as in how many shots actually go straight. For shooters, blasters included, there's the off chance (for some more than others) that a bullet might go slightly more to the left of right, completely missing a target even though you aimed at them. So if one of the one's in that 1v1 gets that inaccurate shot, than there's a chance they lose the 1v1. Lag is also a factor. So yeah, lag and luck.
  3. they fixed an issue with it, but didn't completely remove it. "
    • Fixes an issue wherein opponents completely hidden by obstacles in the way could be hit by an inkzooka or Rainmaker attack fired upwards.
    Believe it or not the inkzooka shot actually arcs downwards slightly. If you're standing right behind a wall, you're protected, but if you're standing behind the wall and further away from it, the shot arks downwards and hits you (wall height affects how far that is). Another case is that you go hide right behind a wall as a zooka is being shot at you. You're safely behind the wall but it still hits. That's lag.
  4. Teammates just suck most of the time. I would know, i'm one of them :p. nothing more to add there.
  5. See above.
For the last part you should probably contact nintendo before purchasing a new one.

Last edited:

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
There are a lot of different factors to take in for Splatoon, sadly, most of the time, it's based purely on luck.

-Team distribution is mostly random. I'm pretty sure the game tries to distribute players based on weapons and skill, but there's a good chance it's all just RNG. For example, say there is a lobby of 8 players, 6 are level 50 with fairly higher ranks, and two players who are say level 15, with lower ranks. In an ideal system, each team would get one of the lower leveled players to go on each team, to make things fair. Sadly, the game does not do this. Same goes for weapons, it's common to get some really "unfair" team compositions, even in ranked, which can totally hurt one team's chances of winning.

-As for two weapons charging at each other, it depends on their rate of fire, and even tiny bits of lag can make it seem like you should have won/lost a 1v1 battle. And say it take three shots from the weapon to make a kill, and you just so happened to have shot a split second before the enemy, allowing you to win.

-I think the inkzooka issue was fixed, but you have to remember, if even just one pixel of the inkzooka shot touches you, it's instant death. Lag can also make it seem like you should have not been killed as well at times.

-The awkward team issue goes back to the first point. It's all random when you get right down to it. Sometimes, you just get put in a team that does not mesh well, whether it's due to weapon composition, skill levels, and even the map.

-The last point is something I encounter fairly often. I've had many moments where I'm defending the rear of Saltspray while my teammates are in other parts of the map. Sometimes I can push back one or two enemies, but when you have three or four on you, at that point, you gotta hope someone is on their way to get the other team from the rear.

We actually have a salt themed thread on the site for any and all future grievances, and we are all very understanding there. ;)

http://squidboards.com/threads/the-dead-sea-let-the-salt-go.1781/page-35

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom