• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Some weapons/specials that need to be nerfed

techton

Senior Squid
Greetings,
Well, I'm finally posting this. In my 250+ hours of Splatoon so far, I've noticed some weapons have performed really really good, and others downright awful. This is my personal list of weapons that need nerfing.

Keep in mind that this is entirely opinionated, no facts.

Sploosh-O-Matic
This thing is just too good. I can't counter these for the life of me. I've tried so many options. Flanking, long-range weapons, using your special, but nothing has been a potential counter.
It has so many tools. It's lack of range can be compensated for the Curling Bombs, and the Splashdown can be used on players who go within close range. It has amazing ink coverage, and a lot of spread, so it doesn't require good aim. It's fire-rate is fast and the damage is high. It's kind of overpowered. I don't want to see a different Sploosh-O-Matic variant until some kind of nerf is put into place.
My proposal is to nerf it's fire-rate by 35% and increase the special cost to 200p.

Octobrush
I don't have anything to say for this. It just does a little too much damage. Terrible ink coverage, which is why they thrive in Ranked.
Tone down the damage, taking 4 swings to splat an opponent instead of 3.

Dapple Duelies
I hate these things, because I hate fighting duelies. They have great ink coverage, high damage and fire-rate, and they dodge-roll faster than any other duelie weapon in the game. Again, has a lot of tools. Toxic Mist can be used to catch up to opponents trying to escape. The stats seen on this weapon makes the Glooga Duelies seem like an April fools joke weapon.
Adjust the rolling on this weapon so players using it can only roll a single time rather than 2 times consecutively.

Tri-Slosher
Yes, I know this already got a nerf. I know! But it's still really powerful, both when using it and fighting against it. It's fire-rate is ridiculous and only requires 2 hits to splat someone. It's special meter fills up too quickly for a special like Ink Armor.
Like I said with the Octobrush, nerf the Tri-Slosher's damage, making it require 3 hits to splat an opponent, and increase the special cost to 210.

These are probably the only weapons I can describe as "overpowered".
Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Sorry about my grammar. Super tired right now, and barely got any sleep last night...

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
I’m curious what weapon you use. What these weapons all have in common is that they’re short range with high damage output. They’re hard countered by most midrange to long range shooters, but if you play as, say, a blaster (like I do), these are the kinds of weapons that will give you the most issues.

A thing to keep in mind is that there’s somewhat of a rock, paper; scissors element to this game. Your gun may dispose of another weapon easily but be weak to a different kind of weapon.

With my range blaster, I wreck snipers and splattlings, and I don’t have any issues with the midrange shooters most popular in the meta. I have issues with short range, aggressive weapons and sometimes (map depending) long range shooters. Snipers may think my weapon is OP and splooshes may think my weapon is weak. This is all a sign of decent balance.

AllToonedUp

Inkling Cadet
What weapon do you use? Because I don't agree with most of these nerfs. The ones you suggested would flat out destroy all of these weapon's viability. (Except Octobrush maybe)

All of these weapons are countered by most mid/long range weapons and they actually do very poorly if your team has bad synergy/coverage. Splatoon as a whole relies on counter-balance which is part of the reason why it's decently balanced because if you have a problem against certain weapons, you can just switch and have a better chance against them.

None of the weapons you described are "overpowered" and they all have fair trade-offs.

Sifu

Look Behind You
Switch Friend Code
SW-3816-1808-3393
None of these weapons need nerfs. Try varying up your play style, use different weapons, and you should find that you can comfortably fight these weapons. Even when you go back to your current weapon, you'll find that you can more confidently deal with those weapons that annoy you now.

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
There are just two weapons that are currently a huge issue for the balance of the game. The Splattershot and the NZAP. One of those is always single-handedly dominating the meta, depending on which ones they buff or depending on which specials they nerf to make the other more attractive. They have so far attempted to resolve this issue by just buffing everything else, which, surprise surprise, failed utterly.

There is absolutely no way around massive nerfs to both of these at this point. In fact, I think most of today's problem wouldn't have existed if they worked on nerfing those from the very beginning. They've wasted way too much time trying to find ways around nerfing these weapons, which caused them to break almost as much as they fixed in the process, as they had to touch several weapons they shouldn't have touched to begin with.

Drew Sebastino

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Espozo
Switch Friend Code
SW-3924-6316-9401
The only thing I think that needs to be nerfed (I have a whole laundry list of things I think need to be buffed) is the Splashdown. Nintendo just sort of went and buffed it out of the blue despite many people have thought it was perfectly balanced already. The problem is that it's both one of the most powerful specials in the game, and there's absolutely no commitment to using it. Some people complain about the Ink Storm, but at least you have to throw it. The thing that pisses me off the most about the Splashdown though, is the invulnerability window the Splashdown user gets after using it; why does this even exist? If you miss even with the Splashdown's huge-*** radius and practically non-existent startup time, you deserve to be at a disadvantageous position.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
@techton
I will say none of the weapons you mention need these nerfs, they would just impabalnce other weapons instead of fixing any problems.
I do agree the nzap is the main problem, imo what they should do is simple
Have a 2 to 3 second delay after the end of the special before you can start charging special, or give both the nzap amd splattershot heavy special depletion.
This should balance out the weapon abusive special and require more skill with the weapon than the spam.

However there are a few weapon I do feel need buffs (not nerfs) in order to be viable again

1. Inkjet once one of the best specials now 9 out of 10 times a suicide special it can be easily shot out of the air.
I saw the unpatched inkjet and it was op, but the hitbox is still really large, and moves very slow midair.
I feel it either needs a minor reduction to the hitbox, or greater range of motion and speed while flying

2. Posion Mist it is easy to dodge for sonething that costs 80% of you ink tank, and play can just simply walk right through it and take you out nonetheless.
I feel the depletion of ink tank needs to be great or the radius need to be wider.

3.Ink mine, it deals little to no damage and is 1 of 2 vision items in the game....yet you can only place 2 down at any time.
Why?
I get it it could potentially kill if they are all lined up but you can simply set a minimum distance between mines and having a 3rd mine will allow you to have tons more potential vision of the map

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
N-Zap is a weapon that's way too strong right now, don't get me wrong but...

There is no point in nerfing N-Zap, because i predict SS Jr. will take it's place instantly. Why? It's because it has ink armor, which is the real problem. It literally is a global bubbler, a special so strong that is basically on-par with S1's specials. If you have to nerf something, it'd have to be ink armor first and then maybe N-Zap if it still remains too powerful. There's a reason N-Zap 85' is generally considered the best weapon in the game while 89' is rather unremarkable by itself.

Same reason why Forge is top-tier while it's usually agreed the main weapon itself is pretty mediocre- it's the most flexible choice if you want bubble blower, another special that is very strong.

But more to the point, there's a massive laundry list of weapons that need a buff ranging from either minor to major (Tenta/Undercover/Glooga/E4K/Dynamo/Carbon/Aerospray/Flingza/Inkbrush/Slosher/Squeezer) to make them somewhat notable in the meta.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
N-Zap is a weapon that's way too strong right now, don't get me wrong but...

There is no point in nerfing N-Zap, because i predict SS Jr. will take it's place instantly. Why? It's because it has ink armor, which is the real problem. It literally is a global bubbler, a special so strong that is basically on-par with S1's specials. If you have to nerf something, it'd have to be ink armor first and then maybe N-Zap if it still remains too powerful. There's a reason N-Zap 85' is generally considered the best weapon in the game while 89' is rather unremarkable by itself.

Same reason why Forge is top-tier while it's usually agreed the main weapon itself is pretty mediocre- it's the most flexible choice if you want bubble blower, another special that is very strong.

But more to the point, there's a massive laundry list of weapons that need a buff ranging from either minor to major (Tenta/Undercover/Glooga/E4K/Dynamo/Carbon/Aerospray/Flingza/Inkbrush/Slosher/Squeezer) to make them somewhat notable in the meta.
Squeezer will be very interesting when its alt kit releases with...

bubble blower.

It’ll be the first weapon wth that special that will be worthwhile as an alternate to...

Forge.

But it will need a buff to get there. I think that buff needs to be to ink coverage when in painting mode. If it paints better, people will give it a shot, I think. It’s close to a good weapon but it needs a little help.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
"X needs nerfing" is a poor attitude to begin with. Are there problems with the game? Absolutely, but we aren't game designers. Other games have shown exactly what happens when developers foolishly listen to their fanbase on balance concerns. Fixing one thing invariably breaks something else and we don't always have the foresight to see that.

Don't demand nerfs. Demand changes to a game's overall balance, but nerfs for specific things is always a very selfish request.

Also, I kinda commented on the habit people of demanding nerfs because I don't agree with the OP's selections at all and don't want to touch the other weapons in this thread :P

techton

Senior Squid
"X needs nerfing" is a poor attitude to begin with.
I... don't even see how. I'm stating in my own opinion what weapons I think are too powerful, and suggesting what I think the weapons could use.

Don't demand nerfs. Demand changes to a game's overall balance, but nerfs for specific things is always a very selfish request.
Not demanding, I'm suggesting. If you're inclined to tell me that suggesting something out of opinion is selfish, then please, can you tell me some hard, well-working counters to the aforementioned weapons in the OP?

Given my personality, I probably would've blatantly shouted out something like "HEY, NINTENDO! NERF THIS NOW!" if I intended to try and demand nerfs.

Yin_

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-2325-6454-5517
My personal favorite is Splatlings, maybeee Splat Brella for some of these weapons depending on how good your shielding is. But yeah as a Splatling user I don't have issues with any of these weapons except for...

#nerfblasters
Did someone say, splatlings and splat brella? :D Well then I'm gonna go be happy!

Oh, and I'm also learning the rapid blaster pro so yayyyyy!

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
I mean if we're talking nerfs. Regarding special weapons.

I think they should nerf the damage done by the Sting Ray's shockwave. After the shockwave was added to the Sting Ray, the damage it does is still the same as a direct hit. Making it extremely good as splatting if the opponent isn't using like dualies, so much so that post-buff, it is ranked as the best or near best special.
I feel that the damage from the shockwave should be half, a lot of weapons in this game have indirect damage as a factor, but Sting Ray doesn't, even thought visually you'd think it would. I kind of wish direct hit from the stream does the current ~2 damage per frame but if you're getting chipped by the shockwave, it'll only be ~1 damage per frame.

Bubble Blower I honestly feel they should nerf the damage it does upon popping. The special is already so good as a defensive tool, I feel if they nerfed the individual bubble popping damage to be not as lethal, it would still be very useful. (Currently does 250, 100, or 50 damage. I think decreasing it to 150, 70, 30 so people at the 2nd stage won't get splatted unless multiple bubbles get them.)

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
#nerfblasters
Are we going to have a problem?

then please, can you tell me some hard, well-working counters to the aforementioned weapons in the OP?
Gladly.

The sploosh o matic, the pellets practically fall out of the weapon leaving it no range. Meaning that it will probably rush you down for a kill.

Some weapons that hard counter this are:

The Splat roller (it can one shot flick and splashdown if it has it ready)

The Vanilla blaster (outranges it easily and can direct if needed. Not to mention it has splashdown.)

The Octobrush (Can outrange it easily and doesn't need to aim carefully at all)

If you don't want to even see this weapon, play something with long range and watch your flanks. The sploosh won't be able to do anything to you.

The Octobrush, same sort of deal, outrange it and you win.
Terrible ink coverage, which is why they thrive in Ranked.
And you even say it yourself, this weapon has terrible ink coverage. So, make sure you paint the floor. Since it likes to hide in it's own ink for a kill.

Weapons that can strafe quickly out of fire and retaliate back are excellent for fighting the octobrush. (Splattershot, N-Zap, Splat Dualies) since they all outrange the octobrush as well.

If you want to beat it in a straight up fight, a splat roller is one of your best bets. They have similar killing ranges, but one weapon needs one flick to kill and the other needs three to kill.

The Dapple dualies are almost the same as the Sploosh, the pellets can't resist gravity for too long, since the shots go almost no where.

So counters combat wise can be applied from the sploosh.

And I'll put some other counters.

Luna Blaster & Clash blaster (thanks to the indirects, they don't have to worry much about the dapples Dodge roll)

Splattershot (Outranges easily and has a burst bomb + splashdown combo to guarantee a kill up close)

Tri-Slosher, finally a weapon on this list that has some decent range. However, it doesn't have the best range, and it can't paint much either, making it far from OP. Some counters are:

The Rapid Blaster (Outranges the weapon for miles and can still hold it's own up close)

The Sloshing machine (Can poke from longer ranges and kill the weapon behind cover)

Splattershot Pro (Can easily win a fight from afar, and hold it's own up close against it)

Even then, a common theme comes from all these supposed "Overpowered weapons" they are easily countered by range, and simple prediction. As their awful range forces them to head rush you.

My honest guess is that you kept dying to these weapons because you let them get that close. Just because these weapons win a gunfight if they can approach you at point blank.

Also those nerfs would destroy those weapons and send them into the meme dimension with the Gloogas and undercover brella. Since they're no where near the top (except the tri slosher) but even then, those nerfs would ruin those weapons.

An octobrush that can't kill or paint, why bother?

The tri slosher needs 3 sloshes to kill? Where's my sloshing machine?

A sploosh that can't paint or shred opponents up close? Why not use the splattershot?

A truly Overpowered weapon is a weapon that completely out classes another weapon and is considered a must pick for Competitive games.

It's also a weapon that doesn't rely on sharking, or needing teammates spraying down ink for you. They independent weapons that can easily carry games.

And none of those on that list can consistently do that, as they are easily outranged and some can't even paint the map. In a game where painting the map is vital for winning games.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Another tip against the sploosh is stand on higher ground when it's around. Seriously. Its range is so terrible that it often can't get you when you're just... standing on a box.

Ilima

Inkling
I disagree. there are still weapons like the t e n t a b r e l l a (shivers) that need buffs. None of the listed weapons seem op.

J'Wiz

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JWiz
I agree that a couple of those weapons need nerfs, but not in the way you're suggesting.

Octobrush needs a sound clip added when your character swings your brush. When someone swings one, the character needs to make "DURRRRRR!" noises.

Sploosh-o-matic simply needs a name change. Replace sploosh with something else. It's just not a name I can say on here. Let's just say it starts with a D and rhymes with sploosh. D*****-o-matic. Perfect!

Now with nerfs comes with a buff. Obviously I'm talking about E-Liter. What you do is give the wielder a monocle and top-hat. Then when the E-Liter shoots someone down, the wielder goes "Good day sir!". Instant meta!

EDIT: For a more serious response, mid-range shooters are very hard counters to those weapons if you can space correctly. Longer range shooters can do it as well, but I have an easier time with an approaching Octobrush if I'm using a Splattershot than I do with a Splattershot Pro. Dualies are good with this as well, since you can dodge roll backwards to keep distance from those weapons.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom