• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Something I noticed (Octo Expansion Spoilers)

LordNgyes

Inkling
In the Octo Expansion, the phases you go through after you escape Deep Sea Metro are named after body parts, so that got me thinking: What if the phases are actually inside the giant statue (NILS Statue)? Also, I think the NILS statue is a statue of the greek god Hermes. What do you guys think?

the

Inkling Commander
In the Octo Expansion, the phases you go through after you escape Deep Sea Metro are named after body parts, so that got me thinking: What if the phases are actually inside the giant statue (NILS Statue)? Also, I think the NILS statue is a statue of the greek god Hermes. What do you guys think?
Yeah I’m pretty sure they are, because when the statue rises from the sea you can see the platform where you emerged on its head. The phase names are a nice little bit of foreshadowing

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
Yeah, although the stage names are all in the wrong order, and some of them aren't even body parts. And why would a statue have a G.I. tract anyway?

Sifu

Look Behind You
Switch Friend Code
SW-3816-1808-3393
Presumably the GI tract is metaphorical - as to why they're not all in the right order... that's anybody's guess.

I never thought of that before, but it totally makes sense now

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
Could someone explain that part of the game to me? I just played and didn't ask questions. (plus I skipped the final boss out of laziness efficiency)

Kidnacho

Senior Squid
NNID
Kidnacho
Switch Friend Code
SW-3767-4369-9288
Yeah I remember watching a stream and they noticed the body part theme in one of the early phase. That and I wondered why there was a "Belly" phase and I almost didn't notice the "Spinal" phase.
And that's an interesting take on the statue, I never thought of it like that. Because of the raised right arm, my thought was it was the Statue of Liberty. Which does tie into the Splatoon 2 hub theme as I think it's safe to say Inkopolis Square is based on Time Square.

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
I thought it was the Statue of Liberty at first, too, because of the size and the scaffolding around the head, but no, the hair is all wrong. Very Greek.

Of course, scale in the game is all messed up anyway. If the cookware in Salmon Run accurately represented the scale between Inklings and Humans, I wonder how big that would make the statue?

@Enperry, it's worth going back and actually finishing the stage. It's not all that hard and the ending is pretty epic. But basically, Tartar went nuts, and instead of preserving human culture and passing it along to the inklings, it decided to wipe out the inklings and start over. First by juicing "superior" specimens and creating the ultimate cephalopod species out of them, then when that failed, just obliterating all inkling civilization with a giant laser, which our heroes blow up.

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
I thought it was the Statue of Liberty at first, too, because of the size and the scaffolding around the head, but no, the hair is all wrong. Very Greek.

Of course, scale in the game is all messed up anyway. If the cookware in Salmon Run accurately represented the scale between Inklings and Humans, I wonder how big that would make the statue?

@Enperry, it's worth going back and actually finishing the stage. It's not all that hard and the ending is pretty epic. But basically, Tartar went nuts, and instead of preserving human culture and passing it along to the inklings, it decided to wipe out the inklings and start over. First by juicing "superior" specimens and creating the ultimate cephalopod species out of them, then when that failed, just obliterating all inkling civilization with a giant laser, which our heroes blow up.
Yeah I got to see the story all I skipped was the actual gameplay itself. Never saw someone saw "NIRC"

Kidnacho

Senior Squid
NNID
Kidnacho
Switch Friend Code
SW-3767-4369-9288
@MindWanderer And I thought I was crazy for thinking the hair was different... But I did just look up images of the Statue of Liberty and yeah that is not the hair unless sometime in the future we decide it needs curly hair for whatever reason. According to the first game's Official Art Book we live until World War V so who knows.
But let's assume it's not the Statue of Liberty. It has to be a human mad- Wait. Stupid question. Is it possible for the Statue of Liberty to be copyrighted and for that reason Nintendo changed the hair? I'm not trying to be one sided. I am open minded to it NOT being the Statue of Liberty. It's just a possibility that suddenly came to me.

the

Inkling Commander
I assumed it was based on the colossus of rhodes, since a lot of stuff depicts it with a raised torch and crown like the Statue of Liberty, but curly hair (it’s supposed to be a statue of the sun god helios)

LordNgyes

Inkling
@MindWanderer And I thought I was crazy for thinking the hair was different... But I did just look up images of the Statue of Liberty and yeah that is not the hair unless sometime in the future we decide it needs curly hair for whatever reason. According to the first game's Official Art Book we live until World War V so who knows.
But let's assume it's not the Statue of Liberty. It has to be a human mad- Wait. Stupid question. Is it possible for the Statue of Liberty to be copyrighted and for that reason Nintendo changed the hair? I'm not trying to be one sided. I am open minded to it NOT being the Statue of Liberty. It's just a possibility that suddenly came to me.
I actually live in NYC, and I can see the Statue of Liberty from my window, and the NILS statue doesn't look like it.

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
Oh cool, I wasn't the only one thinking it looked Greek.

Yeah It reminds me of this statue from God Of War 2 (2007)

I doubt it's based on this exact statue, but it's probably inspired from this statue. The statue from Ancient Greece was called Colossus of Rhodes, and it stood for 56 years before getting destroyed by an Earthquake.

Reactions: the

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom