Sometimes I notice my special gauge is increasing even though I don't have the ability tenacity.

CM2

Inkling Cadet
NNID
chenmaster2
What's going on?

It happens during ranked battles.

Eclipsc70

Pro Squid
NNID
EJ_Matthews
I think I heard that it increases when the other team is in control of the point perhaps as a sort of comeback mechanic, but it really is useful when it happens.

Marraphy

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Marraph
I haven't noticed this; are you guys using weapons with sprinklers? I can try to look into this next time I play

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
I haven't noticed this; are you guys using weapons with sprinklers? I can try to look into this next time I play
No it definitly happens. I notice it usually when I am hiding and observing, only to get that ping sound indicating that my Special is ready.

I have only noticed it occuring when my special was close to full tho.

dukevin

Senior Squid
NNID
dukevin
Your special automatically fills when the other team is winning. Like for example when the other team has control of the points, holding the rainmaker, or control the tower. This stacks on top of tenacity so you can really fill up specials fast.

Ellocus

Senior Squid
NNID
rebellocus
Your special automatically fills when the other team is winning. Like for example when the other team has control of the points, holding the rainmaker, or control the tower. This stacks on top of tenacity so you can really fill up specials fast.
Just to expand on this, it happens whenever you see the "Danger" warning above the squids at the top. So you only get it whilst the enemy team is taking a lead.

aqua46

Inkling Cadet
i think it very slowly fills no matter what. i was sitting out a 3v2 on private, jumping in enemy ink and standing around, and somehow my special filled completely. if the rate changes depending on who's winning, both must be very subtle refills.

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
I haven't noticed it in turf war, but it definitely happens in all the ranked modes. As said above, when the enemy team has the rainmaker, has control of the tower or the zone (both zones in the case of there being two) your special gauge automatically fills up. it's a pretty nice and useful mechanic and i don't think many people noticed it. Tenacity would work pretty well with this too, especially if you don't die a lot in ranked matches.

Eclipsc70

Pro Squid
NNID
EJ_Matthews
Ive mentioned this mechanic happening to me when ranked initially dropped and idk why but people told me with full confidence that I had a sprinkler out or tenacity on but i knew I didnt. Now that this is officially a thing, does it have a fill rate? does it fill faster when the enemy team is in more of a lead? Is there a source at all for this?

LockeExile

Pro Squid
NNID
Locke64
Does it only happen when they're in control? I was under the impression that it happened whenever they're in the lead. I haven't been able to pay close attention to my special gauge while I'm concentrating on taking back the objective.

If it's only when they're in control then there really is little harm in taking a small early lead. Good thing I haven't yet gotten in the habit of not doing that.

LockeExile

Pro Squid
NNID
Locke64
Did some tests. It's different per mode.

Splat Zones: You gain special as long as the enemy is in control. It doesn't matter who's in the lead or whether there's a penalty timer.

Tower Control: You gain special as long as the enemy is in the lead but does not control the tower. (This is contrary to what a few people have stated above. You can be charging your own special while on the tower, as long as your opponent has the lead.)

I need to test RM further. That one's really weird. I'm pretty sure there's a case where 7 players (not the RM holder) get special charge at the same time.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
Just to expand on this, it happens whenever you see the "Danger" warning above the squids at the top. So you only get it whilst the enemy team is taking a lead.
Does this happen in Turf War too? I decided to go through some recently-recorded footage but I didn't see it happen. I only checked Turf War though.

LockeExile

Pro Squid
NNID
Locke64
Just when I figure things out, they change it up.

post-2.2 SZ rules:
-When one team is in control, the other team builds special.
-When neither team is in control, the team that's in the lead builds special (but at a slower rate than above).

post-2.2 TC rules:
-When one team controls the tower, that team builds special. (opposite of the SZ rule)
-When neither team controls the tower, the losing team charges special. (again, opposite of the SZ rule)
-Special charge for all of these rules is slower than pre-2.2.

MandL27

Inkling
NNID
MandL27
If this triggers when the "Danger!" symbol is shown for your team, does that mean that the other team curbstomping you in Turf War would trigger it as well, or is this just ranked-only? I've never really noticed it in enough of a quantity for it to have an impact (although it might explain how I always get a special charged within 2-3 frames of being splatted).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom