• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Spawn camping and special squids

G

girigiriHERO

I'm sure every single one of us, at one point or another has had their spawn camped by the entire rival team and had a hell of a time getting out (I'm looking at you Walleye Warehouse) but I've noticed I'm always stuck with the "special squids" when this happens. All too often I'll be the only player that decides to NOT run straight first in to the cluster f*ck that is the rival team killing everyone over and over, and actually get out on the map and start painting. Even when I'm spamming C'mon, it's rare someone will super jump to me and I'll eventually get killed. Why is it that people just keep running in to the fray knowing they will die? Why don't they think "hey, lets try a different approach and go this way?" Triggerfish is a good example where it's very hard to spawn camp given the different routes on the map right from the spawn, but that never seems to change things.

Also is it just me or is Port Mackerel the easiest to spawn camp from mid map?

DylanDude

Inkling
NNID
DylanDude120
That's not the worst of it. My entire team was spawn camped by one Inkling in Kelp Dome once, using Beacons which all of us tried to destroy like moths to a flame. Generally, when stuff like this happens, I leave the lobby and find a new one.

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
I think that for many players, it's the frustration. When a team is being spawn camped, it will rightfully draw some negative feelings and frustration. The problem arises when a player can't keep themselves calm. They start to tilt when they become frustrated so their playing worsens. They stop thinking about the best ways to do things and resort to head first tactics - usually resulting in more frustration and anger on their part. People won't analyze the situation when they're frustrated, they'll just do whatever comes to mind first. Like I've seen many Kelp's refuse to use their Sprinklers, choosing to shoot blindly into the sea of enemy ink. If they thought clearly, they would realize that their Sprinkler would reveal the enemy, making their shots at least slightly clearer. But it's easier to get frustrated and stop thinking clearly, thus making bad decisions.

Other times, players are just seriously bad at this game and seriously bad at thinking. In most cases, especially if I've played multiple matches with the players, I'm more inclined to believe they've just gotten frustrated and tilted. But yeah.... Just simply being not the brightest is possible too. ^.^

Port Mackerel is...a complete mess. Spawn camping is extremely easy on that map due to the narrow pathways. It makes it very hard to turn around a spawn camp situation because people can just hide. You have very little resource other than to pop out of the narrow pathways and hope you hit the enemy before they hit you. I don't know why so many narrow pathways seemed like a good idea....:confused:

G

girigiriHERO

I think that for many players, it's the frustration. When a team is being spawn camped, it will rightfully draw some negative feelings and frustration. The problem arises when a player can't keep themselves calm. They start to tilt when they become frustrated so their playing worsens. They stop thinking about the best ways to do things and resort to head first tactics - usually resulting in more frustration and anger on their part. People won't analyze the situation when they're frustrated, they'll just do whatever comes to mind first. Like I've seen many Kelp's refuse to use their Sprinklers, choosing to shoot blindly into the sea of enemy ink. If they thought clearly, they would realize that their Sprinkler would reveal the enemy, making their shots at least slightly clearer. But it's easier to get frustrated and stop thinking clearly, thus making bad decisions.

Other times, players are just seriously bad at this game and seriously bad at thinking. In most cases, especially if I've played multiple matches with the players, I'm more inclined to believe they've just gotten frustrated and tilted. But yeah.... Just simply being not the brightest is possible too. ^.^

Port Mackerel is...a complete mess. Spawn camping is extremely easy on that map due to the narrow pathways. It makes it very hard to turn around a spawn camp situation because people can just hide. You have very little resource other than to pop out of the narrow pathways and hope you hit the enemy before they hit you. I don't know why so many narrow pathways seemed like a good idea....:confused:
For Mackerel I've even been guilty of it and done it with one other Inkling. One blocks the two paths and the other can swim back and forth throwing bombs up into the higher areas (or a Sprinkler in one, go to the other side and monitor both). Very poor design decisions when it comes to that specific map.

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
I've seen my fair share of this and it's incredibly annoying. Rushing to the enemy base is not the point of Turf War, kids. Covering ground is.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Port Mackerel's problem isn't so much the Spawn Camping as denying the middle to the other team. The way the map is designed makes it nearly impossible to leave your side without getting shot at from multiple blind sides once the enemy controls the middle area. The map I'd say is the worst for being Spawn Camped is Moray Towers simply due to the fact that there's a giant no-man's-land in front of the spawn, and next to it there's a small corridor from which the enemy can safely shoot at you from afar without anything to worry about. I don't think even a team full of Scoped E-Liters can break that :confused:

Rockenberg

CEO of Rockenberg
NNID
Rockenberg_Ltd
I'm one of those player's who religiously spawn camp. More often than not, I do it solely to make others salty. There've been occasions where other players have tried to spawn camp my team, but because I main the jet, I'm still able to hit you from within the spawn, allowing either myself or one of my teammates to get out. On the other side of that, unless the other team has someone with a heavy splatling, hydra, charger, or another jet, you can't hit me from the distance that I can hit you making spawn camping a breeze. I honestly wouldn't recommend doing it at all though. Like if you hate being spawn camped, you shouldn't do it, 'cause that moment will definitely come around where you're the one getting spawn camped and no ones gonna give a sht if you get upset about it.

G

girigiriHERO

I've seen my fair share of this and it's incredibly annoying. Rushing to the enemy base is not the point of Turf War, kids. Covering ground is.
the rare time I do it because there is literally nothing else left behind us to cover so we're just holding the area near the spawn to make sure it doesn't get taken. I say rarely because the team has to be really bad for that scenario to happen.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Spawncamping is somewhat a thing of the past for me, except for some odd matchups during Splatfest. I main long-ranged weapons so generally I'll be able to escape but sometimes 1-2 teammates cannot get out of getting spawnlocked. If me and my team cannot go much father than our spawn and there's less then a minute on the clock i tend to just give up and do something else until time runs out.

G

girigiriHERO

Spawncamping is somewhat a thing of the past for me, except for some odd matchups during Splatfest. I main long-ranged weapons so generally I'll be able to escape but sometimes 1-2 teammates cannot get out of getting spawnlocked. If me and my team cannot go much father than our spawn and there's less then a minute on the clock i tend to just give up and do something else until time runs out.
Long range teams are the ones that are superior at keeping the other teams at bay and doing the camping.

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
the rare time I do it because there is literally nothing else left behind us to cover so we're just holding the area near the spawn to make sure it doesn't get taken. I say rarely because the team has to be really bad for that scenario to happen.
That makes sense, it's the same way for me. Usually that mainly seems to happen if the other enemy team is partiers, just really bad, or has a disconnection.

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
I do tend to get frustrated at getting spawn camped, and I'm using a short ranged weapon (which I'm most comfortable with) so I have to leave the base to try to get anyone. Aaand, I'm probably not thinking clearly. Sorry ;-;
I'll get like that too. The desperation to get out of my base area will cause me to do dumb stuff too. Sadly, even the times where I'm thinking clearly in those situations, it's still hard to really break out and let the match continue normally. It really depends on the layout of the map, and whether or not your teammates are also playing strategically or not.

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
I have been thoroughly spawn-camped a couple of times when we were down at least one member. On those occasions (we literally have nothing but our spawn circle, like), I take any opportunity to dance with my teammates, because I'm not gonna have fun any other way... buckets aren't gonna save the day.

Flipside: if the opponents get spawn-camped in TW, I take the opportunity to have a relaxing and satisfying walk around the stage, covering every missing square inch of turf (the Sloshing Machine is really good at getting perfect coverage in awkward corners!).

Smashling79

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Linkmaster3000
Spawn camping or spawn raping? :p If I'm getting spawn camped or end up spawn camping the other team it's usually from a DC or a squidbagger. Except on bloody Port Mac where spawn camping always happens quickly.

Brie_no.20

Senior Squid
NNID
belle-noire20
I'm sure every single one of us, at one point or another has had their spawn camped by the entire rival team and had a hell of a time getting out (I'm looking at you Walleye Warehouse) but I've noticed I'm always stuck with the "special squids" when this happens. All too often I'll be the only player that decides to NOT run straight first in to the cluster f*ck that is the rival team killing everyone over and over, and actually get out on the map and start painting. Even when I'm spamming C'mon, it's rare someone will super jump to me and I'll eventually get killed. Why is it that people just keep running in to the fray knowing they will die? Why don't they think "hey, lets try a different approach and go this way?" Triggerfish is a good example where it's very hard to spawn camp given the different routes on the map right from the spawn, but that never seems to change things.

Also is it just me or is Port Mackerel the easiest to spawn camp from mid map?

I've had that happen to me a few times today, actually. In my team, I had beacons set up in places where my teammates could've gotten away from our spawn point, but NO ONE in my team was taking advantage of them. What was worse was that the rival team wasn't even paying attention to my beacons. I was all alone hopelessly trying to ink as much turf as I could by myself. It's a pretty frustrating thing to go through. And it's times like these I wish I played a more offensive game, because I usually act as support.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom