Special Weapon Discussion: Bubbler

Lancelot

Inkling
NNID
Im_Lancelot
I haven't seen any threads focusing solely on Special Weapons, and I think that they really need to be addressed. So I want to start off with the default Special Weapon that comes with your initial Splattershot Jr.: The Bubbler!

Duration(w/o use of "Special Duration Up" Ability): 5 seconds

Properties:
1. Gives you temporary invincibility from all attacks.
2. Deflects all enemy ink fired at you.
3. When you are shot at with Bubbler active, you experience a bit of knockback.
4. If you come into direct contact with a teammate, they will also gain the effects of the Bubbler.(NOTE: They will only have it as long as you do. So, if you have 3 seconds of Bubbler left, your teammates will have it for 3 seconds.)
5. While the Bubbler is active, you can't walk through enemy Splash Walls. You won't get hit, but you will be pushed away.
6. The Bubbler clashes with the Kraken. Both are invincible, and neither can hurt each other.

The Bubbler has the potential to be the best Special Weapon in Regular Battles. Please discuss your thoughts and any other properties of the Bubbler that you've found while playing below!

** Special thanks to my good friend Kipa1236 for confirming my information and telling me about some of the properties of the Bubbler that I didn't know beforehand.

Last edited:

SquiddiamFancyson

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DowntownMountain
This is fantastic in ranked when a team mate activates it and passes it around. It forces the enemy into a retreat situation if they want to stay alive.

It's not as broken as everybody thought day one and I think people are developing strategies to wait out the timer, but it's still ridiculous in good hands. Who thought a bubble would be so powerful...

MINUS

The Once and Future King
NNID
TRUEB7UE
biggest disadvantage:

-if someone walks/rolls/bombs/krakens into you it can push you into a water hazard or off of a position

So be aware of your placement when you activate!

I find it best to activate as late as possible while in a firefight. Gives you that sudden pressing advantage in some cases!

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
I like Bubbler more than the Kraken. And I love the Kraken.
It's a great special to have, it really can turn the tide of a firefight quickly. I can't count the number of times I thought I'd at least get a mutual splat out of a fight, but NOPE they Bubbler'd, now I'm running away (at best) or annoyedly watching them on the splat cam (most of the time).
Having Bubbler really elevates a weapon in my eyes. It's probably why the Splattershot Jr. still sees use (I like it, but would it be as good with, say, the Bomb Rush or Inkzooka or something that doesn't make you basically invincible?), and it's the only reason why I considered using the Rapid Blaster (wouldn't have gone near it -a weaker Blaster? No thanks, I'll save for a weapon I might actually enjoy- but the Bubbler made me think it could have some use) or the Squiffer (a Charger? But I can't aim them right when I charge them and the rapid-fire is so weak and I always spend about 50% of my time watching the splat cam-it has Bubbler? Maybe this isn't so bad after all*).
I like to pop Bubbler as soon as I know someone's shooting at me. After that, either I run away (if I don't think I'll splat them before the Bubbler runs out) or shoot back (if I can splat them quickly) and advance (seems like a good idea until I'm out of Bubbler; sometimes it still is afterward).
I wish there was a roller weapon with the Bubbler. Maybe if they make another Inkbrush (all that speed with a shield? Yes please) or a Dynamo Roller (those slow swings aren't so bad when you know you'll get at least a couple of them off).
So, yeah, Bubbler is awesome, I wish more weapons had it.
*I've since gotten better with Chargers (now I only spend 20% of the time waiting to respawn! Progress!) and I know they're good because I've seen them in Splat Zones, but at the time I couldn't grasp sniping at all and Splat Zones wasn't out yet, so having a shield seemed like a great backup plan for when I got too close to someone with a fast gun like a Splattershot or overextended into enemy territory and was about to get into a 2/3v1 on their ink or something. Still don't like the Squiffer though, I prefer the Kelp Splatterscope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom