Splash Wall Tips?

Chaos_Knight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Cha0sKnight
So the new CoroCoro Splat Roller is a weapon I wanna try out. Though problem is I have absolutely no experience with Splash Walls. Anyone got any tips I should know?

binx

Pro Squid
NNID
binx33
This wall feels really weird to me, even if I didn't try it yet. The wall makes the user visible while a roller would prefer not to be noticed. And you'd need more range to use it anyway... At first glance it looks like it won't be good with roller, and should be given at your allies (but in lots of situations, giving a wall at someone who didn't expect it is risky, as he may explode because of it). I would say the experience with other walls won't help much.

Though I guess one thing remains true: there are spots. For instance, a wall in a close corridor (like, in your or their close in Arowana, or in Port for examples). And it's often better to have at least one of the two sides of your wall blocked by something, so that it's harder for opponents to go around it.

And a last tip I guess: throw it in advance, or you'll die "through" it.

Maave

Inkling Commander
Hm, I actually can't find a complete splash wall guide. Maybe somebody can make one?

I use it to wrangle enemies into more killable positions. It doesn't totally stop anyone but it makes them slightly more predictable. You see somebody approaching an obstacle, throw the wall left, enemy runs right. If it's an inkable obstacle they probably swim up. Block one path to make them take the other.

Sableshade

Inkling
NNID
Sableshade
I hope there is a guide on Splash Walls out there... Aside from that, it helps to think of a Splash Wall as a free prop in close combat. In ranged combat or while moving around to mess with it, it's a gateway (in some cases, a Get out of Splat Card). If the Splash Wall was made by the enemy, then it's simply both a possible hazard and a prop that 'eats' projectiles. It may be breakable, but it's still a powerful decoy, safety measure, 'trap card', and life saver.

With the CoroCoro though, I've been using it to severely block enemy viewpoints as I get closer to them. Like its a riot shield or something. Know how gal users stand in their Splash Walls? I would seriously suggest to dance/flick around it like its a box instead. Shower around or inside of it to avoid damage and regain ground for your CoroCoro Roller.

A basic lesson for Splash Wall users is to remember that it blocks predicable attacks that could save someone from a nasty beatdown from: another roller, snipers, rapid fire, explosions (from specific angles), or an enemy's Good Play.

John321

Inkling
NNID
John321
If you're using the CoroCoro Splat Roller the Splash Wall should be danced around, as its range is too short to hold areas.

It is really useful just learn and practice how to bounce the wall at certain locations.

Maave

Inkling Commander
Oh nice, this thread is back. I was using the Splash Wall on the .52 and .96 Deco before, and for that it's good for "wrangling". Some general moves that work for all weapons.
-When an enemy tosses a wall close to you, toss your own in front of it. They might not even notice, it's hard to see a splash wall behind your own wall.
-If your teammate throws a wall, throw one next to it, two of em side by side can block a good chunk of the map.
-Block krackens, great if you're around teammates because it both blocks and can stop his momentum. BUT don't let the wall drop directly on him or it won't deploy, it'll vanish if it lands on top of the kracken.
-Toss it at inclines for quicker deployment. Not faster to set up (that trick was patched out) but closer so that you swim behind it sooner
-LOTS of walls to bounce off. They're map-specific and you'll have play around. Great for putting a wall on the tower

Now I'm on the Bento Splat Charger and for the charger the wall is much more of an escape tool and a push tool, not so much a wrangling tool since you don't want enemies that close to you.
-For escape toss splash wall at a wall or corner, hide behind, superjump away. Or block the only path, swim back. Come back 2 seconds later without losing any special meter.
-For pushing, particularly when there are 2 guys shooting at/near you, toss the wall and try to get a full shot quickly. People don't stand around to be shot and you don't have much ink left.

And maybe 1 out of 5 games you'll lucky and get a kill via splash wall. That's the best.

jakeoti

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Wishsong214
On the question of using a Splash Wall with a roller, one advantage is a way to get to enemy backlines. On a map like Port Mackeral, if you can get past a few enemies, throw it down one of the narrow hallways and then just swim right under it and keep going. Anyone chasing you will have to go around the other halls or break the Splash Wall. This is just theoretical; I've used Splash Walls a bunch, but I almost never use rollers.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Oh cool, someone else who's actually using the CoroCoro Roller also? Or is it still just me?

Unlike other throwables, the splash wall's distance and trajectory appears to be locked. A reliability that's a blessing and a curse.

If you learn to memorize it's ink consumption, distance, full deployment time, and refill cool down, you can be adept at using it with any weapon that has a splash wall. And also make use of the Recon Mode to help you find the good setup spots, practice bouncing it off objects, and test throwing distance to reach x.

When using the CoroCoro Roller, I find myself using it to support my teammates more than for aiding me. Throw it to protect the long range shooter. Help the frontline or flank player's task a little easier, or have them use it as a fallback. Drop it so your team can get by the enemy sniper or splatling. Slow down the enemy's push or stall the enemy flanker.

You can even use it as bait or a distraction as some players will try and tear down a splash wall on sight even if no one is behind it and even if it's just there out in the open. Just drop it, let them play with it, then be on your way or flank them while they're busy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom