• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 Splat Brella nerf

AllToonedUp

Inkling Cadet
Apparently version 2.1.0 made the Splat Brella weaker by:
  • Increasing its ink consumption
  • Made the gun's spread narrower
  • Reduced it's durability against Chargers and Blasters
I can agree with the ink consumption since it's not detrimental to the weapon but I can't say I agree with the other two nerfs. The brella already has issues with it's inconsistent damage and now it has an even harder time getting a direct hit and blasters could already shoot over the shield and kill you while chargers still did a lot of damage to the shield before and now E-liters can completely destroy a healthy shield at full charge.

I'm not saying it's not a viable weapon anymore by any means but the nerfs feel too strong when the weapon already has noticeable weaknesses and it was fine the way it was before IMO.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
I'll have to give the updated brella a try myself. It does seem like they expect blasters and chargers to be good counters for brellas, but breaking it with a full charge?! Ouch...

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
The ink consumption only means one less shot so it's basically nothing. The narrower spread doesn't really do anything except a minor hit to it's inking abilities but doesn't do much. With the reduced durability, it definitely gives chargers and blasters a chance in short range because if a charger was holding off a brella on a flank or something say on humpback where you're in front of your spawn in that plat area and they came through the left side for a flank. A charger is gonna charge up and wait for the person o open the brella but they don't so then they gotta shoot it or carry a charge and make an impossible shot. The charger will almost always die. This is similar for blasters. If in close range, the blaster doesn't have time to shoot out and swim around they gotta lock on the brella and try to shoot over however they're too close. They launch the brella and the most you get is gonna be a trade. Both of these weapons are horrible painters so it's easy to harass and take over control if you get close. But lets say you have complete map control and there isn't a sprinkler nearby. You swim around but you have no idea where they are but you do and its not like you're a shooter so you can't just quickly ink around to find them and kill them super fast. You have to nail a direct or snipe to kill. Far away from a brella yeah you can shoot over and wait for them to put down their shield, but brellas have very good movement and momentum and its already a little challenging trying to get directs and snipes when you do know where they are. I think this is fair and the brella isn't going anywhere.

Yin_

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-2325-6454-5517
This sucks, being a brella main. I was rocking it out there before and now I've kinda lost my style with it.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
Brella is still an above average weapon that imo still needs a nerf. If I were to nerf it, I would increase the amount of time it takes for the shield to close.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
However this does mean I can no longer "properly" bully or antagonize chargers like I use to. And the blasters too but they always knew how to throw a punch if you picked on them. :p

SilverBrick

Pro Squid
NNID
SilverBrick
I only started playing it after the nerf, but I haven’t really noticed much of an issue. The ink consumption just means you need to stack more Ink Saver Main or deal with the consequences, and IIRC the E-Liters are the only chargers that can one-shot the shield. (I haven’t been keeping up with the meta but maybe it was to give the E-Liter an indirect buff?)

And doesn’t the lowered spread just make it easier to land all your shots at close range? I’ve managed to hit all the pellets for 90 damage, then finish the enemy off just by opening the brella.

Sure, the hit to inking capacity is pretty major, but the Sprinkler makes it pretty easy to gain Special and the Brella isn’t supposed to travel alone anyway.

thundasi

Senior Squid
I feel like it was a buff in someways the shield used to be a 2 sec deploy and 5 sec detach now at 1.5/3 seconds. Used to stand there for a paranoid eternity waiting for that damn thing to open its nice and reflexive now. yeah we gotta use more strat on chargers and blasters and gotta aim more come on that **** was like a slosher with a shield before and more range. I will say the nerf feels heavier because of the ink storm nerf in density. I ain't no quiter so i'll stay shaded in my brella patches woomy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom