• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splat Rollers - Over powered?

SirWhynus

Inkster Jr.
This actually doesn't work. Now, I'm not saying that rollers are OP, I think they are very well balanced, but since the roller paints where you are heading, you can completely ignore whether or not there is your team's ink on the ground or not.
But you made a good point, just go on a crate or another high place and that's game. That or you can just backpedal, just keep your distance in general. Paying attention to the gamepad minimap can also screw them pretty badly.
I wasn't referring to the roller when I said that, I was talking about when you're at a standoff with another splattershot user. All in all, you're right about it being ineffective on rollers

Chris

Full Squid
NNID
MutedSound1111
People say rollers are OP because they can kill the entire other team in a moment. You can get multiple kills with it really easily and I wouldn't be surprised if people ran 2-3 rollers on stages such as walleye warehouse, however being above a roller really seems to give them problems.

Also bubble rollers zerg will be a thing

Astral

Astral Finish!
NNID
AstralFinish
I mentioned in another thread that the reason i think its so overpowered as of now is because of how unused to the aiming system we are. I personally had trouble hitting targets while all rollers had to do was trample me. I say we give it a few days after release when we all adjust to Splatoon's aiming system to make a final judgement. Of course, if it does end up being overpowered, Nintendo could release a patch in the future.

D_Neon

Inkster Jr.
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I did not get a chance to play the demo :( But can you see the enemy team while they are traveling in the ink? If so, I think people will learn to react to it as time passes making it a more balanced item.
They are completely invisible while stationary in ink as far as I've been able to tell, but surprisingly easy to catch when moving from just ripples.

Swagger Magee

Inkling
They are completely invisible while stationary in ink as far as I've been able to tell, but surprisingly easy to catch when moving from just ripples.
Yeah Stealth squidding is a thing tho but at that point just defend yourself against the flank....

Undr

Stealth Squidding is the rollers best way of dominating a team, but it's also counter intuitive to the team winning. When a match is only three minutes long, hiding in the ink for ten seconds becomes a detriment to the team.

That's not to say there aren't times were it works. Wiping an entire respawning team is totally worth it!

Doogle

Inkster Jr.
NNID
iamdoogle
It's the standard weapon that on the surface (quite literally) is the most effective but its weaknesses are exposed very quickly.

It's still my kind of weapon though, but I'm really excited about getting used to seeing people countering it and working out strategies around that.

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I mentioned in another thread that the reason i think its so overpowered as of now is because of how unused to the aiming system we are. I personally had trouble hitting targets while all rollers had to do was trample me. I say we give it a few days after release when we all adjust to Splatoon's aiming system to make a final judgement. Of course, if it does end up being overpowered, Nintendo could release a patch in the future.
My thought's exactly on the matter. Once people get used to the games mechanics, I suspect the worries of Rollers being over powered will disappear.

Kayeka

Pro Squid
NNID
Kayeka
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Rollers are like Team Fortress 2's w+m1 pyros. intimidating at first, but easily dispatched once you've mastered the arcane art of walking backwards and shooting. They seemed overpowered in the Testfire because of how inexperienced everyone was, allowing the rollers easy results. Once people get more used to playing, however, they will be relegated to a (quite vital) support role, because for all their power, they can't win a direct fight.

So no, I am not worried the roller is overpowered. At all. Very useful, powerful if they get the drop on you, but not overpowered.

Boasting Toast

Inkling
NNID
BoastingToast
Most certainly not. It's good for kills if you get the drop on your opponent, but if you have even just a second to react, you can squid and run away, and get the kill easily.

CoopLan

Squid Streamer
NNID
LanceHS
I think as we see people become accustomed to the game and we are not playing turf war, we will realize the weapon isn't that important/strong.

Exile

Inkling
NNID
Exile20
The one thing I do want to say about it is that hiding in ink to jump out and ambush people as they come to cover it seemed very hard to respond to. There were points where an enemy had been camping a specific area that they'd covered and then just hid in the ink. The only way to respond to it was to use bombs but they could just as easily respond in kind.

Personally I found it incredibly annoying to play around in that unless I was using the roller I found that I needed to stay back and completely cover the area I was about to move into if there was a person doing this on the enemy team.
Well in the full game there is an item to show enemies whether they are in ink or not.

4rcher

Inkling
I personally loved the roller in the demo, I played the demo twice so I have a bit I want to say about the roller. At first the roller seems over powered, because it can kill quickly and cover the ground with ink quickly. During the demo I would find myself in situations where the roller was advantageous and time when it was a detriment. The times when it was adventagoues whas when you could ambush a group while they are focused on other things, and another situation is spreading ink on the ground, I found it easy to fill up the special meter. The times when it was a detriment were times like when someone on the other team had either the splattershot jr. or the splattershot. Although the splat charger. In order to play the roller effectively you need team work. The person with the roller has a lot of trouble defending themself form the other team, the person with the roller wants to stay near their teammates and try to cover the ground with ink. The roller is most effective at covering the ground with ink, that should be a roller players main objective. You can use the special skill to get the offensive kill and the roller when ambushing as mentioned before. I really think that nintendo did well with balancing the roller and other guns. The only thing they could improve is the grenades, they aren't effective compared to how much ink they use.

Well in the full game there is an item to show enemies whether they are in ink or not.
I believe if you stay in the ink too long the other team can see where you are, I saw where a few people were in the demo.

Last edited:

Langis

Full Squid
NNID
LangisQc
I recently played the test fire and most people said the roller is over powered. My thoughts:

- Good tactic to cover ground quicker and go in the heat of battle with.
- Unlike the rest of the weapons, this one requires you to get up-close and personal with people to get kills

What are your thoughts about the roller? OP, or just over hyped?
I dont think its op , just think that people like it more since it is more direct and efficient but in a 1v1 situation, the splattershot and the splattershot jr can easily take a roller out.

Chapter Serf

Semi-Pro Squid
Premium
NNID
ChapterSerf
I have to agree that they're not OP at all.

Yeah, they one shot and put down good ink, but you HAVE to get the jump on shooters with it. Otherwise, they're just going to mow you down.

I remember during the Testfire, I was using the Splattershot Jr. and I was flattening people with Rollers whenever I spotted them. Only time I went down was if they blindsided me.

SirWhynus

Inkster Jr.
I have to agree that they're not OP at all.

Yeah, they one shot and put down good ink, but you HAVE to get the jump on shooters with it. Otherwise, they're just going to mow you down.

I remember during the Testfire, I was using the Splattershot Jr. and I was flattening people with Rollers whenever I spotted them. Only time I went down was if they blindsided me.
Pretty much in a nutshell. We'll see how the game will evolve after launch in terms of inking tools.

Hope

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Agrexis
The Rollers were only op because of how inexperienced everyone was in testfire. They also have the lowest skill floor, so it was easy to be good at them compared to the other weapons.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
No. Splat Charger = death for anyone using a Splat Roller.

Shiranui

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Shiranui
I don't think it's too strong, I think people are just terrible at the moment. Hardly surprising since at most we've only had a few hours of playtime with a control scheme most people have never used before. Splat rollers were basically free kills for me once I figured out map layout and how to deal with them. Although I probably didn't help the whole OP fiasco since I did really well when I used it. I led my team nearly every game I played whenever I didn't use the Charge weapon, so I felt like it was pretty balanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom