• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 Splat University: Seeking Professors!

NeoStar

Senior Squid
NNID
Shadow_Rex
Hi! I just got this idea a few days ago to start a way for casual Splatoon 2 players to learn the competitive ropes and lingo from competitive players looking to expand the game! I myself am a casual looking for a way to learn, so I would be a student, at least to start, but also an organizer.

Splat University

Professors and Students wanted!

Q: How do I become a Professor? What are the requirements?

A: The requirements to be a professor are to know your subject. Be a competitive player fluent in the terms and strategies of Splatoon 2. Know the competitive names of locations on the maps. Last but not least, be at least an A rank in two ore more ranked modes.

Q: How do I become a student?

A: You must be qualified to do League battle. Other than that, just ask!

Q: I'm in a clan/squad currently, would I have to leave it?

A: No. All this requires is a bit of your time each week.

Q: Is THIS a clan/squad?

A: Nope. None of that pressure or commitment from our students. They come in, learn, graduate and go to join a clan if they want, keeping in touch if they choose.

Q: How would classes work?

A: Still working out the specifics. Once I get a few Professors I'll know for sure. So far I'm thinking each professor will be assigned a few students to teach based on what they need to learn, and maybe do games against each other occasionally.

Okay, anyone interested or need more info?​

Hammy_3

Inkling
NNID
Hammy
Switch Friend Code
SW-7404-8826-8106
This sounds like an amazing idea! I'm mostly a casual player but I've gotten more interested in the competitive scene as of late with the goal of finding a newbie team and entering tournaments. I really think this will help players get better at the game and get into the competitive scene

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Huh. Well color me interested. I'm not exactly in the competitive scene (such as it is, heh) but I'm well aware of it, and I've got the credentials to pass on some tricks. Hit me up if this goes anywhere.

Orion

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-8505-0199-9402
I’d be interested in joining as a student

NeoStar

Senior Squid
NNID
Shadow_Rex
Should I have this post moved to the competitive discussion?

SilverBrick

Pro Squid
NNID
SilverBrick
I feel like the entry requirements for professors are too low. If you’re not S+ or at least approaching it in at least two Ranked modes, you probably don’t have enough to teach someone else. We don’t want DADA professors here, I hope.

I’m interested in joining this in the future though. Would the classes be separated into subjects? I’m not particularly versed in map locations (I know the maps themselves inside and out, but naming each part sort of feels counterproductive to Splatoon’s mechanics), but I’m great at analysing all sorts of weapons and mechanics, so I’d like to teach more along those lines, helping people to click with the weapons that they want to main and expand their repertoire.

Edit: I think this should go in Competitive; that’s where people go looking for this sort of information after all.

NeoStar

Senior Squid
NNID
Shadow_Rex
I feel like the entry requirements for professors are too low. If you’re not S+ or at least approaching it in at least two Ranked modes, you probably don’t have enough to teach someone else. We don’t want DADA professors here, I hope.

I’m interested in joining this in the future though. Would the classes be separated into subjects? I’m not particularly versed in map locations (I know the maps themselves inside and out, but naming each part sort of feels counterproductive to Splatoon’s mechanics), but I’m great at analysing all sorts of weapons and mechanics, so I’d like to teach more along those lines, helping people to click with the weapons that they want to main and expand their repertoire.

Edit: I think this should go in Competitive; that’s where people go looking for this sort of information after all.
Yeah, I'll change the requirements, then add this to competitive.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Was reading thread, went ahead and moved it to save you half the trouble. :D

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
This sounds like an interesting idea I have gotten to the point in the game where I wanted to do more to help coach teamz and give them advice on how to improve

My schedule is a little busy right now with training and work, but I when it clears up I would be glad to work as a Professor

superlativeb

Inkster Jr.
ehhhh some ppl just dont mess with ranked , I dont know it makes you any less qualified . Do it by hours is a far better indicator of prowess / do it by weapon category and ink coverage ex. 999999p etc. kinda cool idea tho I can dig it

SilverBrick

Pro Squid
NNID
SilverBrick
ehhhh some ppl just dont mess with ranked , I dont know it makes you any less qualified . Do it by hours is a far better indicator of prowess / do it by weapon category and ink coverage ex. 999999p etc. kinda cool idea tho I can dig it
Rank is a much more accurate indicator of skill than hours/coverage. A high rank shows that someone is actually learning from their playtime, and applying that knowledge correctly, in order to rank up. You can play for hundreds of hours and ink acres of turf, but if you're not internalising your lessons, you're not as skilled as someone who has ranked up to S and beyond.

Besides, this is supposed to teach casual players about competitive, and Turf War isn't even a mode played in competitive. If you haven't played what you're teaching about, you're going to run into some issues.

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
I believe that S+ is too low a requirement to teach someone about their weapon or give really good advice in general. In my mind a good X power would be a good requirement but I guess if someone can at least hold an X rank that would be a good requirement for a professor. I mean obviously anyone in the world can offer advice but to have acclaimed advice as a professor that people would listen to more than others, I think you'd want higher requirements for them. All this aside, if this takes off hmu and send me a discord link.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I believe that S+ is too low a requirement to teach someone about their weapon or give really good advice in general. In my mind a good X power would be a good requirement but I guess if someone can at least hold an X rank that would be a good requirement for a professor. I mean obviously anyone in the world can offer advice but to have acclaimed advice as a professor that people would listen to more than others, I think you'd want higher requirements for them. All this aside, if this takes off hmu and send me a discord link.
The only problem is that there aren't that many X players around. People tend to forget how miniscule that section of the playerbase actually is. S+ is still high enough to have learned some things, and would help differentiate this from places like the Spawn Pad.

superlativeb

Inkster Jr.
Rank is a much more accurate indicator of skill than hours/coverage. A high rank shows that someone is actually learning from their playtime, and applying that knowledge correctly, in order to rank up. You can play for hundreds of hours and ink acres of turf, but if you're not internalising your lessons, you're not as skilled as someone who has ranked up to S and beyond.

Besides, this is supposed to teach casual players about competitive, and Turf War isn't even a mode played in competitive. If you haven't played what you're teaching about, you're going to run into some issues.
another ehhhhh. Players can enter S/S+ pretty quickly / get carried up and so I'd trust someone with 1000 hours / 999999p coverage on a weapon category over someone with under 100 hours but with S+ ranking. I think sometimes rank letters , meta and gear are given too much credit when even like high level salmon run will teach you mobility, ink control, weapon characteristics , teamwork etc. than quickly climbing into higher ranks.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
So dealing with rank here are my opinions

Turf inked:
Sadly not a good indicator, a person who focuses on ranke is not really ever going to have a whole lot of turf coverage, plus chargers and other inefficent ink coverage weapon weapon can take forever to ever get close to 9999999p
Plus all this tells you is that they are skilled with said weapon(s) but not so much the player skill with other weapons

*A much better iindicator is the wins they have gotten with said weapon, cause this usually tells you they can do well with a weapon or group of weapon semi- consistently

Weapon Category:
A fairly decent indicator of rank, this player will know the matchup vs their weapon, the variation with said category and can mostly likely use all the weapon pretty well though they will favor 1 or 2 over the others
The only problem with this indicator is if you want to learn the weapon that player will likely have to play a secondary weapon outside of the category since...most time you can't play league with 2 of the same weapon.
So great but can be an inch deep mile wide sort of thing

Overall this is a very good indicator, a player who goes through ranked has to adapt to a team in 4 different modes with varying objective and make good use of map layout, coordination and weapon choice.
For me I got up to rank X using meme strats but also by analyzinhow g I and the people I am playing with will act while using certain weapons

Again there are flaws since most times the player can end up in a lower rank simply due to the inconsistency of ranking up, a bad player, or a person using the starbucks wifi to play... but overall it does show skill and a decent amount of experience especially higher rank such as S+ and X ( cuz here it usually boils down to how good each player is)

Salmon run:
If you want someone who is good at multi tasking, prioritizing, and callouts these players usually can get you a long way.....as long as they play the main game, if they don't this can also be one of the worst indicators fro progress.......

League battle:
Out of all the modes I do feel this is the best inicator, league players ususally know map callouts, usally are good at communicating and in some case can help you better understand where you can improve in game... most of these player though usually are also flexible with multiple weapons and know which comps will be effective.

NeoStar

Senior Squid
NNID
Shadow_Rex
Man.... I was at the beach for too long! Sorry for the absence! I may need some more input before this idea is concrete enough to put in the competitive section, but so far I'm thinking a minimum rank of S to be a teacher, with experience in League Battle?

NeoStar

Senior Squid
NNID
Shadow_Rex
Discord server is up! Would-be students and professors, note me for a link!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom